SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Question re: Double Fold Bias Tape Quilt Binding 7/8 in (22 mm) ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Question re: Double Fold Bias Tape Quilt Binding 7/8 in (22 mm)
HowSewBlogger

HowSewBlogger
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/1/08
Send Message

Date: 3/26/12 4:10 AM

Hi Everyone,

First, I have to mention that I don't have much experience with quilting. I have mostly sewn garments.

I am seeking your advice on some issues I have with attaching the binding to a quilt I am making.

I am sewing a baby quilt, and I am putting on the binding. I am using a contrasting color Double Fold Bias Tape Quilt Binding, 7/8 in (22 mm). I sewed one side down and now I am trying to stitch-in-the-ditch to catch the other side on the back of the quilt, but I keep getting puckers and ripples. The other side seems to be stretching as I sew.

Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong? I am using a regular sewing machine foot, not any specialty foot. Should I be using something else?

I have ripped out the binding 3 times so far :(, so I am turning to you, experienced quilters for help. Any suggestions as to how to attach the binding?

Thank you very much!

------
http://howsew.blogspot.com/

AngeThehippy
AngeThehippy
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 3/26/12
Send Message

In reply to HowSewBlogger <<

Date: 3/26/12 7:27 AM

Hi HSB,

Just joined this forum today and saw your post. By far the easiest way I've found adding the binding is to:

1) Open one side of the binding
2) Sew the opened edge (over the fold) of the binding RIGHT SIDES FACING to the back of the quilt.
3) bring the binding to the FRONT of the quilt, pin and sew to the top of the quilt.

Ensure the bobbin thread is VERY unobtrusive on the back, OR oyu could of course, pin well and hand-sew the binding to the top of the quilt.

I apologise if I haven't made myself clear with these instructions, if you can't understand them perhaps someone else can re-word it please??

Ange
x
-- Edited on 3/26/12 7:31 AM --

HowSewBlogger

HowSewBlogger
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/1/08
Send Message

In reply to AngeThehippy <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/26/12 4:30 PM

Hi Ange,

First, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for your suggestion. If I understand correctly, I should sew the binding to the back first and then sew the front part to the top of the quilt.

I have been doing it reverse; maybe that's the issue?

Thanks!
HowSewBlogger

------
http://howsew.blogspot.com/

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

Date: 3/26/12 4:35 PM

Also, considering the number of layers you might want to use a walking foot

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 3/26/12 9:10 PM

I too second the recommendation for a walking foot but bias tape is stretchy by nature so that it can be applied to curves. If the edges of the quilt has straight sides, then bias tape is not needed. The bias tape may be creating the problem but at this point unless you wanted to start over which I do not recommend, then go with what you have. I also suggest pinning but you are probably aready doing that.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 3/26/12 11:58 PM

The first thing I would do would be to pitch the purchased tape and make my own.

Cut strips 2 1/4 inches wide. Sew them together for a long strip. Fold in half lengthwise and you have French Folded Binding that is stronger than the single fold and will hold up to wear and tear.

Straight cuts will not wrinkle when applying to the quilt.

This video will help you with sewing the strips together and turning the corner when applying to the quilt.

There is a better way to join the ends than what is shown in the video. Over lap the ends the same width as the binding (2 1/4") then place right sides together and sew at an angle as described in the video for joining the strips.

-- Edited on 3/27/12 0:18 AM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

AngeThehippy
AngeThehippy
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 3/26/12
Send Message

Date: 3/27/12 5:16 PM

THAT'LL teach me to READ before I dive in there! 7/8 in (22 mm) ? That's really very narrow - PattiAnnJ has the right idea - FAR easier to manipulate and work with. BUT cut the strips on the biased, not just strip after strip from the length of fabric. Don't forget to post an image of your work when you've finished!

Good luck,

Ange
x
-- Edited on 3/28/12 0:11 AM --

Vireya
Vireya
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/10/05
Send Message

Date: 3/27/12 7:58 PM

Alternatively, hand-sew the back down instead of trying to do it by machine. You will be able to control it much better, and ensure you won't have puckers. Doing it by hand is much quicker than doing it by machine and pulling it out 3 times!
-- Edited on 3/27/12 7:59 PM --

twinkle72
star
twinkle72
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 4/20/09
Send Message

Date: 3/28/12 4:30 AM

Hi HSB!
I am mostly a dress-maker, but I quilt a little. I always machine stitch the bias bind initially to the top side, and then I hand sew it down to back side. It actually doesn't take that long and that way I can make the mitres on the corners perfect, etc. It's kind of nice to sit down under a quilt in the evening with the tv on and do a little simple hand stitching.

cinca
cinca
Member since 4/27/11
Send Message

In reply to twinkle72 <<

Date: 3/28/12 1:01 PM

I do it the same way as twinkle72. After decades in industrial sewing, I thought I should save time and close my binding by machine, but it never came out to my satisfaction. If you do it by machine, definitely close it from the top side, as one previous member stated.

Now, though, I love the controlled results I get by closing on the back side with hand-stitching. There is that zen-happy-place that results from the hand-stitching experience, and no ripping out. oh, how I hate ripping seams out.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Question re: Double Fold Bias Tape Quilt Binding 7/8 in (22 mm)

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

More Knits
More Knits

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

McCall's 6436

photo
by: pdiddly

Review
Vogue Patterns 1324

photo
by: SewRuth

Review
Petite Plus 601 Pattern

Petite Plus 601 Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket

Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.