Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Quilters' Corner > Question about rulers ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Question about rulers
Elaray
starstarstar
Elaray
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 4/20/05
Login to reply to this post

Date: 3/26/12 12:37 PM

My question is about using the Fons & Porter Half and Quarter ruler to cut half-square triangles. My block instructions say to cut 3.5 inch squares in half to make half square triangles. Will I get the same result by using a 3.5 inch strip and the Half & Quarter Ruler? I've watched the instructional video on the F&P web site and they don't quite answer my question. (Obviously, I'm a quilting newbie )
-- Edited on 3/26/12 12:56 PM --

------
I sew, therefore I am.

Visit my blog at http://anothercreation.blogspot.com

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
MA USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator

In reply to Elaray <<

Date: 3/26/12 4:45 PM

If I am understanding you correctly you just need to cut your 3 1/2" strips into 3 1/2" squares. Sew them as directed and then cut them. You can use any ruler to cut them once they are sewn.

Don't know if that helps or if I muddled you more!

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 4/12/05

In reply to Elaray <<

Date: 3/26/12 6:34 PM

After having made something like it in class, I would make the 3.5 inch squares and then follow the instruction for triangles. I would not try the strips. I also am new to quilting, so I could be wrong.

Why so small a square to start with? I would think it should be a bit larger than that. Say at least 4 inches and then you have room to maneuver and trim away after sewing. If you start with a 3 1/2 inch square, that is pretty small to work with. What size will the triangle be when it is done? Must be really small.

------
I am a Quilter at heart. I love to play with fabrics, patterns and colors. Recently I have discovered I enjoy doing applique. I love making pictures. Using a sewing machine is much easier than counted cross stitch or oil painting for me. I enjoy landscape quilting as well. I am working on my first applique project in the spring of 2014.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08

In reply to Learn To Sew <<

Date: 3/26/12 7:47 PM

As a rule of thumb, when you measure for rotary cutting of triangles, you take the finished size you want, and add 7/8 of an inch for half-square triangles, and 1.5 inches for quarter-square triangles.

So, if you want a pair of triangles which measure 2 inches along the sides of the triangle (not the hypotenuse), you cut a square which is 2 7/8 inches square, and cut from one corner to the other.

To make quarter-square triangles which would measure 2", you would cut a square which was 3.5" square, and then cut an X from corner to corner and then the opposite corners.

Doing it this way leaves a lot of bias, so you have to take that into account. Also, triangles cut this way would be chain pieced to be most efficient.

There are other ways to cut triangles. I like the "Triangles on a Roll," some people like "Thangles," and other people use techniques where you draw lines on squares and sew them along sewing lines and then cut. I think that is a way to get accurate pieced squares, but to my mind it is awfully fiddly, and I would rather do it the old-fashioned way (if 1979 is old enough to be old-fashioned).

------
Barb

Elaray
starstarstar
Elaray
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 4/20/05

Date: 3/27/12 6:20 AM

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my question. I was considering buying the F&P ruler and I wanted to know if it would suit my needs. The pattern I'm following recommends a ruler by Creative Grids and I can't figure that thing out to save my life!!! I thought the F&P Ruler would be easier. The F&P ruler eliminates the need for cutting squares because the triangles are cut from strips instead. (Hope that makes sense)

I bought it anyway and the triangles cut from 3 1/2 strips are a little bigger than the triangles cut from 3 1/2 squares. I could trim them down after I sew them into the block.

Thanks for the responses!
-- Edited on 3/27/12 6:28 AM --

------
I sew, therefore I am.

Kayabunga
Kayabunga  Friend of PR
Advanced
IL USA
Member since 1/21/10

Date: 3/27/12 8:10 AM

Elaray ... while specialty rulers can be great, they can also cause confusion to new quilters. You will really do yourself a favor if you learn the basic "quilt math" that Franksdottir mentioned to make half square triangles ... find your finished size and add 7/8", cut the square in half on the diagonal and stitch diagonal seam together. If you are worried about sewing the bias edge, spray starch your fabrics so they're really stiff before cutting, you will be amazed how much that will stabilize your bias edges while you're working on your quilt. The specialty ruler from F & P (don't know which one from Creative Grids was frustrating you) looks to have been designed to eliminate the math but if you are not familiar with the math to begin with, it'll just confuse you more. To answer your question ... it depends if your block pattern is written specifically for the use of a "specialty ruler" or just plain old regular ruler. In the future, when you find yourself lost, figure out the finished size you need and then figure out what size to cut by working backwards as Franksdottir suggested, this will always help you get back on track.

Kayabunga
Kayabunga  Friend of PR
Advanced
IL USA
Member since 1/21/10

Date: 3/27/12 8:22 AM

Just had another thought ... get yourself a copy of "The Quilter's Pocket Reference" by Peggy Scholley, it will REALLY simplify quilt math and more. It's a great little reference.

Elaray
starstarstar
Elaray
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 4/20/05

In reply to Kayabunga <<

Date: 3/27/12 8:46 AM

Quote: Kayabunga
Elaray ... while specialty rulers can be great, they can also cause confusion to new quilters. ....... The specialty ruler from F & P (don't know which one from Creative Grids was frustrating you) looks to have been designed to eliminate the math but if you are not familiar with the math to begin with, it'll just confuse you more.

You are so right Kayabunga! I am thoroughly confused!

I'm going to play around with some scraps, but if I don't have a Eureka! moment and have it quickly, I'm going to do it the old fashioned way.

Thanks!

-- Edited on 3/27/12 8:46 AM --
-- Edited on 3/27/12 8:47 AM --

------
I sew, therefore I am.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

In reply to Elaray <<

Date: 3/27/12 8:57 AM

There are a lot of gimmicks that claim success. Don't waste your money on them and stick with F & P.

The key to a getting the correct size triangle is to start with a block that is 5/8" larger than the cut size. In your case a 3 7/8" strip will result in a 3 1/2" triangle.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 9/21/07

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/27/12 10:57 AM

Quote: PattiAnnJ
There are a lot of gimmicks that claim success. Don't waste your money on them and stick with F & P.

Personally I despise F&P...

But this is purely personal preference and an admittedly emotional response based on a single incident. I would not discourage anyone else from using their products or techniques if they are happy with them.

I adore Eleanor Burns' techniques, but I know some are put off by her sing-songy, kindergarden-teacher voice. To each her own!

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Question about rulers

Merchants on PR
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Online Sewing Classes
Altering Pants
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $59.00)
Altering Pants

Butterick 5267 Tote Bags
photo
Review by genericear... on 9/21/09
Read Review

New Look 6433 Pattern
New Look 6433 Pattern

Details
Price: $4.49
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 9497 Pattern ( Size 3-4-5-6 )
Simplicity 9497 Pattern ( Size 3-4-5-6 )

Details
Price: $10.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

New Look 6057
photo
Review by Jaloma on 2/8/13
Read Review

Cake Patterns Bonny Knit Sailor Top Digital Pattern
Cake Patterns Bonny Knit Sailor Top Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $8.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Blank Slate Prepster Pullover Digital Pattern
Blank Slate Prepster Pullover Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sewn Square One Triple Play Top Pattern
Sewn Square One Triple Play Top Pattern

Details
Price: $12.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Petite Plus 651 Pattern
Petite Plus 651 Pattern

Details
Price: $21.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN