SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Miscellaneous > I caved ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I caved
Bought RTW
HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 3/26/12 1:00 PM

I've been trying hard not to buy anything, especially T shirts, because after all, I know I can make them, right? But today I got to work, wearing something I made out of some cheap knit, and it was driving me crazy -- it was hot, itchy, too big, worn-out looking, and a dreary faded black. So I dashed over to the nearest store at lunch hour, a Chico's, and in less than a half hour had a beautifully made T-shirt in a silky 100% cotton knit, peacock blue, that fit nicely, for less than $30 (and while I was at it, bought another one in black). And in my remaining 5 minutes, I stopped at another shop and bought a matching necklace for $10. I feel so much better and prettier, though guilty.

Does this ever happen to you?

Peggy L
starstarstar
Peggy L  Friend of PR
Advanced
Tennessee USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/26/12 1:16 PM

Yes!! Just because we sew we doesn't mean we have to make everything:). I bought two shirts and a pair of crop pants over the weekend. I seem to sew in spurts these days.

------
www.thereisjoyadventures.blogspot.com

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to HarrietHomeowner <<

Date: 3/26/12 1:40 PM

There is nothing wrong with buying RTW if it fits as well as something you can make. The fit is the deciding factor. I am glad you found something quickly and you are happy. Yes, you can spend a day or so and make a couple of them yourslef. Just not on your lunch hour. And you found a necklace too. Well done.

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 3/26/12 1:52 PM

This never happens to me because I'm 50 miles one way from a shopping mall. Chico's is a very nice store and their items are beautiful. Now you'll have to watch the Peggy Sagers (of Silhouette Patterns) webcasts of how to find your perfect armholes and sleeves on RTW, then translate this to your pattern. Really, really simple, and questions "Why didn't they teach us this in Home Ec??" will occur.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

Date: 3/26/12 2:03 PM

Well done HarrietHomeowner!

What's the guilt about? You already have a job at the office; you have another job in operating your household. Who knows what other 'jobs' you have. Hey, I make yogurt cheese when I want to, I don't feel obligated to make it; sometimes I just buy it. Same with cutting the hubbie's hair, sometimes I send him to the barber. The cut is not as good; but geez, I'm not Superwoman, I can't physically do everything that I am capable of doing.

You may appreciate what I've sometimes said about myself.

Quote:
I was Martha Stewart before there was a 'Martha'. I had to quit, it was killing me.

But, as long as you have purchased two new tops that make you feel good, why not exploit your purchase? Pull all the measurements off of the tops while they are new. Study what little tweaks would make them perfect. And use them to make a pattern for when you are in the mood to sew something. You can clone what you have or use the pattern to compare to other patterns as a basis for a better fit.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

Date: 3/26/12 2:38 PM

Thanks for the validation. Taking measurements off of these tops is a really good idea. I do have a pattern I made from another RTW top that I've been using, but it's really too big. I finally realized with Chico's that I need to get size 2 (= RTW size 12) -- their stuff runs large.

One problem with sewing knits is finding nice fabric in good colors -- not so easy. And I have a serger but haven't invested in different thread colors, which would make the finish much nicer than using black, I think.

Of course my biggest problem is time. Just too many other things going on right now that take priority over sewing.

KensingtonCrab
KensingtonCrab
Advanced Beginner
South Carolina USA
Member since 2/13/09
Send Message

Date: 3/26/12 3:02 PM

Enjoy! Release the guilt! I buy my tees even though I can sew them but the local department store (that always runs sales) has them for $6 to 10 so I stock for the season and focus my sewing on shorts, skirts and pants. I love Chico's and my favorite tee was from there--white 3/4 sleeves with a black print of Paris--like free hand drawing. I was so sad when it bit the dust. I also have not found a good source for a good interlock knit to use on tops. Any suggestions?

------
Carpe diem!

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 3/26/12 3:05 PM

After losing sooo much weight. .and after loti's making me purge .. I had nothing left to wear.. and no time to sew garments.. So , I also caved.. I hope yours holds up better than mine did. Some of them were returned..
Often you can get lucky and find a garment cheaper than the fabric would cost. no guilt here .. I think most of us. other then Jtinks have a combination of both RTW and our own sewn garments.

nicegirl
starstarstarstar
nicegirl
Intermediate
District of Columbia USA
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 3/26/12 3:07 PM

Finding good t-shirt knit is nearly impossible. I've been seriously looking for a couple of years and not been happy with anything I've found. If you find it in RTW and it's already sewn up, definitely go for it! Some textiles are just not available as yard goods at retail, I think.

------
http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com
=================
2007: purchased 115+, sewed 105+
So close to parity, yet so far

Trying again in 2008
Yards purchased: 133
Yards sewn: Somewhere around 95

2009? I give up

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

In reply to nicegirl <<

Date: 3/26/12 4:28 PM

Not only this, but how much will the fabric really cost you? You start with the knit for, we'll say $10-15, but then you add in the shipping, and since you're already paying to ship it, you might as well get this other fabric that might not be what you expect, or something you'll use eventually, or something that's not as nice as you'd hoped, and don't forget to add the matching thread...

And then it all sits in your stash (at least mine does).

Don't feel guilty. I've spent more on fabric, notions and machines in the last two years than we have on clothing in the last 5.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> I caved

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Butterick 5639

photo
by: nickelc624

Review
Butterick 5561

photo
by: prttynpnk

Review
Pants Fitting DVD

Pants Fitting DVD

Buy Now
Jamie Christina Lark Paper Pattern

Jamie Christina Lark Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.