SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Your Spring-Time Mission, should you decide to accept it.... ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Your Spring-Time Mission, should you decide to accept it....
Anyone inspired?
gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 3/27/12 11:10 AM

1. Collect boxes/bags
2. Go thru every closet, drawer, bin, cabinet
3. Remove anything not used in the last 6 months (exceptions allowed for holidays) like rusting cookie sheets, cosmetics, May-be-someday-clothing, 10-of-12-nail files, picture frames, knicky-knacks, even (gasp!) little pieces of stash fabrics/notions...you get the idea.
4. Divide neatly for donations, garage sale, or re-cycle. Hopefully the car trunk should be full.
5. Avoid H's garage--where I could personally de-stash by 3/4.
6. Sit back, have a glass of wine, say AAH, and gear up for some
summer patio reading or new online fabric stashing...?

Kemish
star
Kemish  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 4/24/06
Send Message

Date: 3/27/12 2:35 PM

I laughed when I read your post I have decided that I NEED to clean out my house. My house isn't over stuffed with things, but I do have a lot of stuff and every closet, drawer seems like its full!

The thought of cleaning out - trying to decide what stays and what goes is daunting! I look in my hall closet, the basement, the back closet, the utility closet, my dresser drawers and I feel OVERWHELMED!

So, I have decided to just do one little area (A drawer? A closet? A shelf?) once a week. Maybe I won't make HUGE progress but I will be - hopefully - be making progress!!

------
Kemish

SheBear0320
star
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
MB
Member since 4/8/08
online now
Send Message

Date: 3/27/12 2:44 PM

I am taking the "5 items per day" approach -- started this in my MBR walk-in closet and another junk collector closet. Each day I take 5 items out of each closet and do something permanent with it -- it gets put away in its proper place, tossed, filed or put in the appropriate box for upcoming garage sale. I have so far cleaned off 2 shelves in the junk closet (which will become a games closet -- we're a huge board game playing family) and almost have the floor of the walk-in cleaned out.

Given my hectic lifestyle I can't usually set aside an entire day for doing cleaning related projects so this way the job eventually gets done and I can fit it into my busy days. It's kind of like the "30 mins a day" approach to sewing (which has also worked in my personal sewing endeavours).

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
49.75 yards sewn (as of 07/17/14)
79.875 yards purchased (as of 07/17/14)

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 3/27/12 2:57 PM

Quote: gramma b
1. Collect boxes/bags

I'm really good at step 1... As in "Hello, my name is Tess and I'm a bin-a-holic" ...

Like Kemish and Shebear I have to tackle these things a little at a time, or I get too overwhelmed to start.

With no basement here and the need to park two cars in the garage (which is the usual storage area around here) we had to resort to a storage unit for those things we couldn't part with (including out of season things like Christmas stuff). Now maybe I can get my luggage out of the corner of the study...

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 3/27/12 4:38 PM

I just went to the thrift store and dropped off 2 of the 13 gallon garbage bags full of stuff. I am sure I can find a lot more if I just try.

Now, garage sale season is just around the corner, so hopefully more stuff from some else's garage will not find its way into my home---again.

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 3/27/12 5:59 PM

Already did my spring cleaning and purge.. even DHs space..

I was going to clean up the yard.. but since I have done all my homework.. can I just drink that glass of wine instead ?

AAHHHH.......

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling <<

Date: 3/27/12 6:45 PM

Running that campaign like crazy is all the Mission you now need!

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/30/12 5:55 PM

I have no problem with the advice to get rid of things you've never used and know you never will use or use again... but the arbitrary "haven't used in 6 months/a year/whatever" rules seem silly and short-sighted to me. For instance, I used to do a lot of cake decorating, and still will for family birthdays. But DH's and my birthdays are more than six months apart. If I got rid of all my cake decorating supplies because I hadn't used them in 6 months, I'd have to re-buy every time I wanted to decorate a cake! (And maybe that's only ever 2-3 YEARS, but I'm darn glad to have the stuff when I want it!)

Also, take things like crutches. I haven't used mine in 12 years and hope to heck I never need them again, but there's no way I'm getting rid of them! Some things you REALLY don't want to have to buy twice.

I know a lot of people don't agree, but I'd rather have things when I need them, then regret getting rid of something that was perfectly useful, and then have to get another one.

------
~Gem in the prairie

edster
edster
Advanced Beginner
OR USA
Member since 2/19/10
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 3/30/12 7:24 PM

I dropped off a carload of stuff at Goodwill just the other day.

Spring Cleaning and getting rid of stuff always makes me feel so good. Over the past 12 years or so we have moved as many times, and I've gotten pretty good at purging before each move. I have never missed anything I've gotten rid of (except for one bag of baby clothes that I would never have used again anyway), but every single move without fail, I find more stuff I wish I had gotten rid of before the move - it would have saved me the trouble of unpacking it!
-- Edited on 3/30/12 7:26 PM --

------
Kenmore 158.14101
Juki MO-735
Juki TL2010Q

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 3/30/12 7:26 PM

The #3 rule does not appeal to me, as I'm still using up some stuff from even 20 years or so back. Also some antique over even 100 years old stuff of once other people's too. Also some of the stuff from maybe 20 years or so back, is actually made pretty good, and would cost me 10 times as much to buy the same today. So, I'm keeping those kind of things.

But I for sure agree if it's the color or feel of some fabric/clothes you don't like and/or they are too small, tight or are uncomfortable, and so not using or wearing them at all; no matter how long you keep them, that kind of thing usually never gets any better with time at all! Unless you eventually have children that might fit into them or like the color better. But even then, there taste in colors or fabric might not match up either. Might as well jetison those, to just make way for new to you "good stuff" you might actually use instead!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Your Spring-Time Mission, should you decide to accept it....

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 12-2004-147

photo
by: chebre

Review
Christine Jonson Taper Pant & Wide Leg Pant

Christine Jonson Taper Pant & Wide Leg Pant

Buy Now
Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Buy Now
McCall's 3830

photo
by: Betty Stit...

Review

Pattern

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.