SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Spaces > Pictures from those with NO dedicated sewing room ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pictures from those with NO dedicated sewing room
How to store sewing supplies and set up to sew
Pj3g
star
Pj3g  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WI USA
Member since 2/14/11
Send Message

thumbsup 10 members like this.

Date: 3/27/12 2:44 PM

I decided to take photos of how I store my sewing supplies and how I set up for cutting and sewing. I thought it might give others who don't have a dedicated sewing room ideas.

I have a small 3 bedroom ranch and I do daycare in my home so leaving out SM's from day to day is not possible at all. If I need to sew a quick mending job I just grab a machine and sit at the kitchen table. But if I have a couple hours to a full day I set up in a bedroom that is also sort of like a playroom. Or I set up in the livingroom if my husband is out of town.

Many times people are looking for shelves and I found perfect shelves to fit my small space to hold some of my SM's and sergers. The shelves come in every available size and the shelf height is adjustable. Info about them is written under the photos (and under all the photos) I also use fold in half tables and have absolutely no problem with them not being sturdy enough. They work perfectly.

I am dreaming of the day when I won't have to 'set up' but for now this has to do. If you're interested in how some one without a dedicated sewing room manages to still enjoy their passion, have a look. The photos start with my kitchen table ready to cut on:

My No sewing room sewing

Scroll left to see the photos. Scrolling right is only my old Kenmore that I don't use.
-- Edited on 3/27/12 2:46 PM --

------
Thank you Lord for my Mother who taught me the joy of sewing, for my Father who encouraged my sewing, for the talent You gave me to sew, and for all the special people in my life to sew for.

Doctor Sister

Doctor Sister  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MN USA
Member since 11/5/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 3/27/12 2:50 PM

Pj3g, I love many of your ideas. I do have a 'sort of' dedicated space. But it is also my home office and is open to the rest of the house. So I'm always looking for ways to make it look nicer. I love the ideas you have for thread and bobbins. and the tackle boxes. - so easy. I especially like the idea of the little notebooks. That kind of record would help me so much.
Thanks for the great Ideas.
Sis

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to Pj3g <<

Date: 3/27/12 3:15 PM

Thanks for sharing! You have a lot of good ideas for storage.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

CathyinMI
CathyinMI
Beginner
MI USA
Member since 2/19/07
Send Message

Date: 3/27/12 3:41 PM

Thanks you so much for posting this Pj3c! I won't have a dedicated sewing space and I was racking my brain trying to figure out how to be organized yet still functional. Your pics and ideas helped so much!

It would be nice to keep this thread going so that those of us with smaller spaces could gather ideas and exchange information.

When I get mine set up, I'll post. Mine will be in my bedroom. Right now I"m using part of my counterspace that is table height.

What did you decide to use for your sewing tables? They look about the right height and very functional in addition to being storable!

It's fantastic!

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/27/12 4:30 PM

Awesome detailed organization, I envy your dedication to keeping it perfect too! I'm another one who is spread throughout a couple rooms and have tried various set-ups, but haven't found any I'm totally happy with. Nothing flows right, it's still too discombobulated to be efficient and probably always will be unless we get rid of all the bedroom furniture - which isn't going to happen, though I've been seriously entertained thoughts about it.

Part of my problem is having several vintage machines in their wood cabinets - they take up a lot of space and can't all be kept in only one or two rooms or moved around easily when necessary. I usually put my serger and Kenmore on my kitchen table and open the cutting table in the middle the spare bedroom, which completely fills up that room. I have to push the table back and forth to walk around it as I cut fabric or trace patterns and wind up walking or bouncing into the bedroom furniture a lot. Luckily I can leave things up and out for short periods of time w/o always having to pack it all up and store everything like you. That would make me nuts, and I doubt I would get much sewing done. I like things organized, but convienient. I don't have either at the moment! lol

Great job, thanks for posting! Lots of good ideas.

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/27/12 4:41 PM

Cool! You have so much stuff, and you are so organized! I sew in the living room. My stuff is stored in the living room too. If I had a closet with doors... alas I try to make it look neat though, I just kind of probably don't.

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

In reply to Pj3g <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/27/12 5:38 PM

You have a very nice setup. I do wish more people without a designated sewing room would post their photos. Sometimes those that have to "make do" come up with the most creative ideas for storage.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 3/27/12 6:55 PM

Great photos!

My space is similar to yours--I sew at my kitchen table (machine) or in the living room (hand), and cut on the dining room floor. The dining room is also my prep room and where I keep my dress form. When my active stash started taking over the dining room, I knew I needed a storage solution, but b/c it's in a central part of the house, it had to be *attractive.* Last summer, I finally found a solution! I found this beautiful hutch that fits everything perfectly:

(Here it is, brand new and empty!)

And here it is all loaded up:

(Where the grey bin in the center is, now lives my serger!)

The purple box in the lefthand corner of the cabinet space is a pressboard set of decorative drawers from JoAnn, which holds my scissors/rotary cutters, and other small notions. Rulers and yardsticks go underneath the cabinet (you can see them in this photo with the doors open, but they're not visible IRL. My big cutting mat slips behind, against the wall. Usually my machines are out on my kitchen table, but there's plenty of room inside the hutch to store them in the "off season" (ie, when we have company).

The top shelf is for book storage. I was *shocked* that my entire sewing library fit in there, with room to spare! The plastic bins are project bins--everything for a particular project fits in each bin. Fitting those bins (and the machine in its case) was the primary requirement for the storage unit. I'm lucky that I also have an office upstairs where all my "inactive stash" lives, but since I actually do all my *work* in the kitchen/dining room, I really needed a storage solution that was flexible enough to hold everything I needed, depending on what I'm working on.

Here's my sewing spot:

It's just our kitchen table, but I replaced my Ott (which wasn't bright enough) with that pretty torchiere, which just happens to match the existing light fixture! The picture on the wall is one of my pieces of stitchery, which I framed and hung there. I had been looking at a blank wall and the ugly Ott for *years,* until I decided that the place where I make pretty things should be just as pretty as the things I make.

I am *thrilled* with my sewing space re-org, both in terms of functionality, and in terms of how it looks when everything is all tidy and organized!

------
~Gem in the prairie

StitchinMom
StitchinMom
Advanced Beginner
RI USA
Member since 9/15/08
Send Message

In reply to stirwatersblue <<

Date: 3/27/12 8:46 PM

I love your hutch! It's beautiful and so practical too. Great find!

------
StitchinMom
Janome MC6600P; Janome 3160QDC; Janome Jem 760; BabyLock Imagine Wave Serger;
For teaching:
Janome Sew Mini; Janome Jem 661; Kenmore 19233; Kenmore 18221; knitting needles & crochet hooks :)

StitchinMom
StitchinMom
Advanced Beginner
RI USA
Member since 9/15/08
Send Message

In reply to Pj3g <<

Date: 3/27/12 8:48 PM

Thank you for posting your pica. I agree with others that I love your organization. And your storage ideas are fabulous!

------
StitchinMom
Janome MC6600P; Janome 3160QDC; Janome Jem 760; BabyLock Imagine Wave Serger;
For teaching:
Janome Sew Mini; Janome Jem 661; Kenmore 19233; Kenmore 18221; knitting needles & crochet hooks :)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> Pictures from those with NO dedicated sewing room

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Sis Boom Jamie Dress

photo
by: Jeremmy

Review
Ottobre Design Magazine 04-2012-25

photo
by: Sandi S

Review
Sewn Square One Small Change Pattern

Sewn Square One Small Change Pattern

Buy Now
Jamie Christina Miz Mozelle Dress Pattern (JC313MD)

Jamie Christina Miz Mozelle Dress Pattern (JC313MD)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.