SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Latest Online Scam ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Latest Online Scam
Beware! Photos can be copied from Facebook and used
Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 3/29/12 9:50 AM

Recently, I received an email from what seemed to be my friend, Sandra. The email said she was stuck in Scotland, needed money, etc., etc., etc. Had I not received this email from another friend, I would have been greatly concerned because Sandra travels alot. But I knew this was suspicious because the text of both emails were identical, even down to the misspellings (and Sandra is very educated), as well as it just didn't seem right.

Other friends of Sandra's received this email, as they were replying amongst themselves, with copies to me and the others. One of the people in the group was asking if the email was legit, and I was trying to convince her it wasn't. Of course, her emails indicated she wasn't, so she replied to the original email.

What followed was an exchange of demands, such as "What is wrong with you? I need this money now, Aren't you my friend?", etc. etc. To which the unconvinced person asked for confirmation of our friend. Now this is where it gets sinister: The emailer sent a photo, of our friend taken recently, at a time when we were all together.

Had I not taught my Computer Science students how to copy a picture off the Internet, this story would have had a very different ending, because several in the group were convinced the email was from Sandra. I got ahold of Sandra through another email address, and she confirmed that she posted the photo to Facebook. She had to set up another email account because of the problem.

Scary, huh?

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 3/29/12 10:07 AM

It's easy to limit who can see your facebook photos.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to mastdenman <<

Date: 3/29/12 12:36 PM

When I asked her about this, she said she had set her privacy settings to just the people she knew, so she doesn't understand how it could have happened. Maybe the link through her email address, and it being phished?

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 3/29/12 3:19 PM

Wow, sinister is the right adjective. Downright creepy.

Was her email hacked/hijacked, and was that email address tied to her Facebook account? I have a friend who had that happen; both the FB and email.

Facebook owns any photos posted to your/our pages. It is very easy to copy & paste a photo, too.

My guess is that the email was tied to the FB account, so both got hacked and access to the photos was really easy.

-- Edited on 3/29/12 3:20 PM --

------
iPad's auto-correct is my enema.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 3/29/12 4:04 PM

Wow. I see there is a new twist to a very old scam.

What I don't understand is why WHY the scammers would think you would send money to someone to whom you obviously aren't close enough to to even know where they are and what they are doing.

nicegirl
starstarstarstar
nicegirl
Intermediate
District of Columbia USA
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling <<

Date: 3/29/12 4:18 PM

Quote: poorpigling

Wow. I see there is a new twist to a very old scam.

What I don't understand is why WHY the scammers would think you would send money to someone to whom you obviously aren't close enough to to even know where they are and what they are doing.

This scam is gaining force. It is common for the criminals to target grandparents pretending to be their grandchildren. The consumer loss is huge. Here's an example story.

------
http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com
=================
2007: purchased 115+, sewed 105+
So close to parity, yet so far

Trying again in 2008
Yards purchased: 133
Yards sewn: Somewhere around 95

2009? I give up

clothingengineer
starstarstarstar
clothingengineer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 5/7/10
Send Message

Date: 3/29/12 4:21 PM

This is why it is recommended that you use different passwords for your online accounts. I bet she used the same password for her email and Facebook accounts.

------
-- Anne
clothingengineer.com

talesofawannabe
star
talesofawannabe
Advanced Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 6/25/10
Send Message

Date: 3/29/12 5:34 PM

I do use different passwords for my email and facebook, and I still had my facebook hacked. They posted a very nasty message as my status for a while.

------
http://talesofawannabeseamstress.blogspot.com/

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/29/12 6:05 PM

Dear Ms. Fairchild.

Congratulations on the opening of Fairchild's First Savings and Loan and Pickle Factory..

I find myself in a very strange place.. a Joann's superstore.. and am afraid that someone has stolen my silk purse which I recently made out of a sows ear. I cannot get home.. to my dogs or Mr. Poorpigling and really wish to pay for my fabric goods.. seeing as they have already been cut I am afraid they may make me do dishes before they allow me to leave the store without paying.

I tried sending this message to your personal email.. but it appears I have been mistakenly blocked. I am sure that is a temporary problem with your yahoo.. and seeing that you are around on the boards. was hoping you will soon get this message.

Please send 5500 dollars. via Western Union.. or deposit into my paypal account.. whichever has the lowest fees.. I am very thoughtful you know. [not sure how much tax is on a PINK brother but I can eat the difference.} I mean I got a lot of fabric seeing as I do home dec..

I KNOW you are my friend.. and am sure there is only the normal amount of things wrong with you.. and I promise not to out you if you send money asap. I have been careful to screen this message for typos too.. I am very thoughtful that way.

This is a legit email. just look at my nostrils for further proof. I can also bombard you with pics of my sewing room if you would like to make sure its me..and not Mr. Poorpigling.. Speaking of which should you indeed send that money.. and I am sure you will. I offer up Mr. Poorpigling for collateral.. as he is quite fond of your pickles..

Please hurry.. I have waited a long time as it is.. and its five here in TX.. Which means the bank of Ms. Fairchild may close soon.. and I don't want you to miss out on the opportunity to help a friend..

CurlySu717
CurlySu717  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/26/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/29/12 8:03 PM

I have noticed since the switch to Timeline that privacy settings don't seem to matter anymore. Anyone can see anything.

I have always used my real name on Facebook but I am considering changing it to a fake one. Between hackers and scammers and potential employers wants to see your Facebook page, they sure have taken the fun out of it.

------
"To love another person is to see the face of God!" ~Les Miserables

www.lillianbettyandsibyl.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Latest Online Scam

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Vogue Patterns 2693

photo
by: beanchor

Review
BRIDAL COUTURE, a CD book by Susan Khalje

BRIDAL COUTURE, a CD book by Susan Khalje

Buy Now
Petite Plus D202 DVD

Petite Plus D202 DVD

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.