SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Plant-eating cat! ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Plant-eating cat!
How can I get her to stop eating plants?
Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

Date: 3/29/12 2:27 PM

I usually buy a few new houseplants in the spring, and the other day I bought two: one with leafy leaves, and one with leaves that look a little bit like this, but not exactly. I have no idea what it is.

Anyway, one of my kitties likes to munch on ferns and grassy plants, but this one didn't look to me like her usual snack. WRONG. She was nibbling on it last night, and I had to prune off several of the nicest leaves. I've moved it to a room that has a door, but it's a lovely, showy plant -- I want to keep it downstairs where people can see it.

Is there anything safe (for both the plant and the cat) that I could spray the plant with to discourage her from doing this?

Thanks!

Joan

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

talesofawannabe
star
talesofawannabe
Advanced Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 6/25/10
Send Message

Date: 3/29/12 2:42 PM

I don't know that it would stop the kitty for eating the house plants entirely, but we have planted some grass seeds in small, shallow flower pots for the cat before. That way, he can have his "leafy greens" and hopefully be discouraged from eating the good plants, lol.

------
http://talesofawannabeseamstress.blogspot.com/

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to talesofawannabe <<

Date: 3/29/12 2:51 PM

Thanks.

I thought of that, but I suspect this particular beloved little kitty of mine would devour the grass and move on to the plants.

------

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Date: 3/29/12 3:14 PM

I gave up on plants in the same house as my cat. She tormented me and this beautiful poinsettia two years ago that worked me to death moving it from place to place before she would find it and start trashing it. She didn't seem to eat on it but was just fascinated with the entire thing. I had to keep it as it was a big one from a florist and I was afraid the one who sent it would stop by and think I didn't care for it so I had to keep moving it about the den and the living room. I happily tossed it (whatever was left of it as it was really sad looking) after Christmas. Strangely the artificial tree I put up she didn't care one fig about. Cats are very strange about what is good entertainment. Poinsettias as many plants can be toxic so I really had to watch the thing during the day when it was sitting out-I would lock it in an extra bathroom when we were gone from the house or at night. It was a super pain-never want another one as long as the cat lives here just too much hassle for both of us.

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan <<

Date: 3/29/12 3:21 PM

get a plant called catmint. They love it. I had a cat that ate my plants. I bought him catmint. Left my other plants alone. try it.
( its all so called Cat nip).

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to Vintage Joan <<

Date: 3/29/12 4:01 PM

OMG. Joan .. Should you not have titled this Cat eating Plant.. instead of a plant that is eating a cat.. Kinda worried me for a moment. Sorta a sci fi thing going on there. Whew.. I am glad to know your cat was not eaten up by a plant.
What you have is a normal cat. Not so sure about the plants you have though..
I hope they have natural instincts to stay away from poisonous plants but I am not sure about that.. so be careful which plants you bring into the home.
My dogs will munch on the grass in the yard.. Because of that I am careful not to use any chemicals etc in my yard.

Seems I have heard about some people using tabasco sauce or such on the leaves to discourage this behavior.. You might try that.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 3/29/12 4:02 PM

Now that I say it MY way.. your title sounds best. . Sorry. Either way its a scary thought..

Mandolin82
star
Mandolin82  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 5/8/03
Send Message

Date: 3/29/12 4:12 PM

One of our indoor cats used to try to escape outside, but she'd only go so far as the grass and she'd stop to chew on it.

We started buying wheatgrass for her regularly. She loved it and stopped trying to escape.

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling <<

Date: 3/29/12 5:42 PM

Quote:
Should you not have titled this Cat eating Plant

..............Now that I say it MY way.. your title sounds best

!!!!!!!

The hyphen in my title is pretty important, lol. Your title might have gotten more attention, though.

Now if I could train the plant to bite her right back... no, getting too cruel (and silly) here.

------

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to skae <<

Date: 3/29/12 5:46 PM

But doesn't eating catnip make them go all goofy? The dried stuff sure does. Maybe fresh catnip isn't as intense as the dried kind.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Plant-eating cat!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

McCall's 6345

photo
by: MayenDesig...

Review

Pattern

Simplicity 2152

photo
by: lsaspacey

Review
You Sew Girl Kids Beret Pattern

You Sew Girl Kids Beret Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Fantasia Dress Pattern (ln9005)

Sew Chic Fantasia Dress Pattern (ln9005)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.