SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Progress: Sewing Goals for 2012 ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Progress: Sewing Goals for 2012
First quarter reports!
Sewandwrite
star
Sewandwrite  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 5/16/08
Send Message

Date: 3/29/12 3:33 PM

A lot of us set out sewing goals for 2012 in this thread.

How's it going?

Reporting my progress here helps me stay focused and on track. So here goes:

1. Install or enlarge pockets in two RTW skirts and a pair of pants so I can wear them.

Pockets in pants! I'm wearing them.

Tried to put horizontal on-seam pockets into one skirt and it made a mess. Must pick out the stitches, re-sew the seams, and try something else.

Second skirt is languishing. It also needs hem & lining taken up.

ADDITION: I need to enlarge pockets in a RTW trenchcoat. In a mere six weeks, I lost two Metro farecards out of those those cheap shallow pockets. Never again.

2. Finish up or toss/recycle all pending Projects In Grocery Sacks (PIGS).

During a burst of clutter-busting last month, I did something I hadn't planned -- I went through all those PIGS. I pitched one and consolidated others. I have nicely organized bags that I am just itching to get to when I have the time. This is helping me not to buy fabric and to sew up what I have.

This week, I cut out one project, a t-shirt that I hope to sew this weekend. It shouldn't take too long. I hope to have one less bag and a well-fitting shirt in a nice fabric!

BONUS: All my sewing patterns now are in one big plastic container.

3. Set up a sewing/music studio.

First big attack of clutter-busting done for this room (see #2). I have an appointment with EH (estranged husband) next week to continue cleaning out this room, which is half filled with boxes he parked there when he moved in some years back. The other half is my stuff.

KarenTeel

KarenTeel
Illinois USA
Member since 4/22/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/29/12 4:03 PM

Well, I guess it is time to really see where I am on these things.

Sort and measure fabric - categorize on Excel - I really need to know what I have.
Organize all the download patterns and projects sheets into binders.
Learn more about my embroidery software.
Make up ziploc bags of projects with everything in it so I only need to grab a bag and start to work on it. No more looking for zippers, thread, trims.
Keep working on making a TNT pattern for tops, blouses and pants.
Set up my SWAP on my board with pics and fabric swatches. This should keep me focused on where I really want to be in clothing.

That is a LOT to do in a year. At least for me as I tend to procrastinate.

I did sort and measure all of the fabric but I gave up on the spreadsheet idea.

I have binders started not just for sewing downloads and printing but also for knitting. Now I am able to grab a book and 'shop' my next project.

I am learning more about the embroidery software but that is really slow. I am making sure I use and make at least one embroidery project each week. Most of the items are going into my gift bin - that I hide from my sisters!!!!

I bagged all the UFO's and projects next in the que. This really helps when I want to start something as I have already selected fabric and all the essentials are in the bag. This is something I really like. I shop my stash and I know if I need anything ahead of time. It also means my projects for gifts get done assembly style and one weekend a month I do just gifts. Love, love, love this one improvement in my methods.

I 'almost' have a TNT for a top and it 'only' took 4 tries. I am loving the results and want to move on to pants next. A TNT for tops and pants will do so much for my wardrobe.

The SWAP board is a non event and I thought this would be the easiest. I am going to focus on the TNT's and then work up a SWAP with fabric selected after that.

I am very pleased with my progress. And, I am working on the sewing room to morph it from a strictly functional room to one that is a pleasure to be in. I want PRETTY!!!

------
Karen

threadgenie
threadgenie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/16/11
Send Message

Date: 3/29/12 5:32 PM

I have short attention span so it is very difficult for me to start a project and complete it in the same hour, week or month. It can even be unloading the dishwasher. I get bored easily and want to move on to something more interesting than the task at hand.

This week, I buckled down and finished all started-not-finished projects--a purse made from an old pair of Levis, 3 pair of pants hemmed for my mother, 2 fabric and bean pattern weight cubes (I now have 7), tossed one skirt that wasn't working at all. I even threw the pattern away. What a load off my shoulders!

I can see the bottom of my cutting table and my brain is clear and fresh. I promise to work real hard on the concentration thing. It really does help to start and finish one thing at a time. Right? Please say yes.

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 3/30/12 10:16 AM

threadgenie - good for you! Yes, I find it much easier to finish what's started and then move on to something else, but here lately I'm skipping around.

Here were the goals I set:

1. Make one or more quilts
*** finished a 20x30 quilt as you go baby pad, and almost done with a large table runner. Still working on the large table topper. So, CHECK on this one so far.

2. Use up stash - including the good stuff
*** no progress on the garment fabric, but I'm not buying any more, so it's good.

3. Move back into sewing room, (involves moving son OUT)
***CHECK!!!

4. Embroider more variety of items - like clothing.
*** Zero progress on this.

5. Sew more garments
*** Started the Couture Dress class, so I'll have a dress when that's done. Making a saran wrap sloper this weekend, and getting a dress form, so hopefully there will be progress!

6. Be a very good ASG president for our chapter.
***CHECK!! At least I think so!

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Sewandwrite
star
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 5/16/08
Send Message

Date: 3/31/12 2:34 PM

Sounds good, everyone!

And threadgenie about your question 'It really does help to start and finish one thing at a time. Right? Please say yes.'

Generally, it does, and it is good rule of thumb to follow. For myself, I have found a notable exception -- when I'm tied up in knots over a particular sewing issue, I need to set that project aside to cool off and do something else.

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 3/31/12 2:46 PM

I completed a pair of tropical wool pants (used 6 yards of fabric). Sewed an ITY knit top and a denim bag.

Pulled a few pieces of fabric out of the stash that I will never use so I can start a collection to toss/donate.

So hopefully soon I can get to the even in/out place on the spreadsheet and have completed one item per month. As soon as I get through the jenius class, there will be two more pair of pants completed.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

starryfish
star
starryfish  Friend of PR
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 8/10/09
Send Message

Date: 3/31/12 5:09 PM

1. Chanel Jacket- I haven't got very far with this, as I haven't even practised quilting or bought the lining. I don't know what is holding me back?
2. Improve finishing techniques. Well, maybe, but the last knit top inside is not my best work. I plan to buy an overlocker which should help. Also if I got less impatient to finish a project I would make a better job, and am very reluctant to unpick anything.
3. Plan my wardrobe. Here I can report progress! I am working on a Spring Everyday 6PAC + 1. This consists of a Minoru Jacket, two knit tops, a long cardigan, a long shirt, a pair of slim leg trousers, and a skirt; all in beige/cream or pale khaki with leopard print accent.
I'm also working on a plan for a smart Summer 6 PAC, and filling in the gaps to partner up some orphan pieces.

------
Goals for 2013
Perfect my TNT Trousers

Read my blog http://starryfishathome.wordpress.com

Sewandwrite
star
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 5/16/08
Send Message

In reply to Sewandwrite <<

Date: 10/1/12 9:51 PM

The last quarter of 2012 is upon us, and I'm taking stock of the goals I set in January.

1. All skirts, pants and trench coat have pockets and I AM WEARING THEM instead of them languishing in a bag. I am checking this one OFF.

2. My orderly PIGs are just fine. I will finish them as I have time and that will mean they will roll into next year. I am not adding to their number.

So this goal has been partly fulfilled, partly modifed.

Current PIG: the muslin from Sarah Vebelen's skirt fitting class as part of the slow sewist sew-along. Maybe I'll finally figure it all out and cut into my luscious fabric one of these years.

3. Sold a dresser from the room that is to be my studio, EH has removed all his stuff, and I scored an Arrow Gidget sewing table on Craigslist. Also, consulted with my spatially gifted friends on a layout for my machines and a cabinet for my stash.

Nothing is set up yet -- I need a day off of work to do that, and that won't happen for another month. That's OK. Forward momentum is happening.

I had a paradigm shift with this last goal -- a post from Karla Kizer in 2006: . "you are sleeping in my sewing room" instead of "I sew in the guest room."

Thank you Karla! This unblocked my progress toward this goal.

I've kept my 3 sewing goals taped to my computer monitor so every time I'm on PR, I have to think about them. It's helped me stay on task. I'm glad I only had three.

Onward & forward!

petro
starstarstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
France
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

Date: 10/2/12 2:40 AM

I had forgotten that I set myself goals! Amazingly, I have done a few of them, and have started on the white trouser suit one - the jacket anyway.

------
http://patternpandemonium.wordpress.com/

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 10/2/12 8:10 AM

Suit for hubby? Nope. In fact, haven't done any sewing for him this year.

Perfecting pants construction. Almost there. I do have a decent TNT but my waistband technique still needs a little more work.

I have managed to put a very slight dent into stash.

Overall I would probably give myself a C+ so far on the progress.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Progress: Sewing Goals for 2012

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Eagle's View PM/54

photo
by: BADBamaBun...

Review
Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Sewing Workshop Chicago Jacket

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Cuff Pant

Christine Jonson Cuff Pant

Buy Now
Butterick 5881

photo
by: cocosloft

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.