Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Miscellaneous > My funny at Walmart ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
My funny at Walmart
Darn those complicated patterns!
dfsews

dfsews  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NE USA
Member since 4/17/06
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 9 members like this.
Date: 3/30/12 7:23 PM

On my trip to Walmart today, I decided to stock up on some New Look patterns, with the intention of sewing up summer duds for the DD.

A very young male was ringing up the purchases for me, and he did not know what a pattern was. He acted completely bewildered, and asked me what they were. I explained they were sewing patterns, which did not seem to enlighten him at all. I then explained that the pattern would be unfolded, laid on fabric, etc.

He kept peering in the open end of the pattern, as if a video would suddenly pop up from it and explain to him this mystery, in terms he could understand. It was like someone from 100 years in the future looking at an object from today and trying to figure out what it was. I couldn't help laughing.

He then asked if I sewed clothes! Finally I told him that every item he was wearing had been created from patterns and fabric and constructed by someone, somewhere, before he purchased it. I really thought his head was going to explode after that comment.

I'm surprised we don't need a license to buy those complicated patterns. Just image if they ended up in the wrong hands......

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
IL USA
Member since 8/28/08

Date: 3/30/12 7:58 PM

Omg that is hilarious!

------
A balanced diet is a cupcake in each hand.

goosegreen
starstarstar
goosegreen  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/9/05

In reply to dfsews <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 3/30/12 8:38 PM

Quote: dfsews
I really thought his head was going to explode after that comment.

I would've paid to see that!

------
Alison in suburbia - Sydney Australia
My sewing blog: http://nosilasews.blogspot.com/

Keeper of the flock - Janome MC8000, Janome MC4900QC, Elna Elina 40, Husqvarna Rose, Janome DC2101, Singer 201K, Elna Contessa, Janome My Excel 18W, Janome 634D & 534D overlockers, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07

In reply to dfsews <<

Date: 3/30/12 9:17 PM

Too funny.. BUT you might be wrong.. I have seen the RTWs out on the market.. and I am not sure anyone anywhere really ever sewed them.. at least no one has sewn any buttons on them.. they all fall off..

That poor clerk probably went home and called his mother ..bet me....

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08

In reply to dfsews <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 3/31/12 1:14 AM

The story is funny the way you tell it, but honestly, this depresses the hell out of me. Can you imagine being so ignorant of something so basic? Where did he think clothes came from? Did his mother never sew on a button, or mend his jeans when he put them out at the knee?

It reminds me of the time I was buying some meat at the deli counter in the grocery store and I asked for 2/3 of a pound. The young woman clerk said, "3/4 of a pound?" I said, "No, 2/3 please."

She looked utterly dumbfounded and I realized to my horror that she had no idea what 2/3 of a pound was, or how to measure it. I told her that she should measure and ring up .667 instead of .75 and she did that, but I still don't think that she really understood.

It is just appalling to think that we are raising people in this country and leaving them so ignorant.

------
Barb

lareine
star
lareine  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 11/10/06

Date: 3/31/12 4:10 AM

Wow, that is astounding - to think that a person would have no idea what a sewing pattern is, even though they work in a place selling them!

I can't fault somebody for not knowing what 2/3 of a pound is, but that's because I was raised on the metric system

julie w
star
julie w
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/25/06

In reply to Franksdottir <<

Date: 3/31/12 4:46 AM

Quote:
Did his mother never sew on a button

The answer to that one is probably not.I have no friends socially that sew or even get sewing, don't want to put their kids in hand knitted clothing etc. My sister in law once said "I can't even sew on a button" to which I replied I would show her, this was promtly declined as she would leave the button off or the garment would go in the trash.
The story is too funny and I would have loved to be a fly on the wall to see his expression.

------
Julie, Perth, WA

clt3
clt3
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 2/6/06

In reply to Franksdottir <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 3/31/12 6:16 AM

I agree, it is depressing. I've had the same thing happen at the deli counter and the person working there was not a child. As a former math teacher, this appalls me. Another one I couldn't believe happened at a deli counter in a very large chain store in another state. I commented to my husband that I thought it was odd that the store priced their deli products by the 1/2 pound instead of pound. An older woman standing next to me replied, "It's a better value." I was too dumbfounded to correct her.

------
Singer 66-16. Singer 600e, Kenmore 158.1913 , Viking 1100, Brother 4000D, Brother Quattro, Bernina 930, White 634DE,
Babylock Evolve, 2 Featherweights ,Pfaff Creative Performance,Janome Coverpro 1000CPX

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07

In reply to clt3 <<

Date: 3/31/12 7:31 AM

When I run across someone who doesn't quite understand measurements.. I think that math is just not an area they ever had a good grasp of. Just like some people can't spell. Others have no interest in history.. no knowledge of that particular subject.. So I just hope that they know much more overall in these other areas ,, other than math for instance.
However, it is surprising.. still a shock when a clerk can't count out your change if the computers aren't working. That always gets me wondering. Not wondering as much as when I was recently asked by a college student if Car Wash was one word or two. I suppose sometimes the simplest questions in life are the hardest to answer.
I DO know this however.. as I age it seems I can remember less and less and find myself often wondering how to correctly spell words for instance that I know darn well I could spell once upon a time. My total recall of historical events.... geography.. those sorts of things gets less and less every day.
USE to be when I read something once it stuck with me forever. Not so anymore.

I am one of those who feel the constant use of relying on computers in our schools now may be the cause of the students not learning to think for themselves. But that is another subject.

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 3/13/06

Date: 3/31/12 7:38 AM

Stop it! This post is hysterical! Thanks for sharing it!

j.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> My funny at Walmart

Merchants on PR
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Fit the Tee to a T
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Fit the Tee to a T

Online Sewing Classes
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Simplicity 2406 Misses Dresses
photo
Review by dianconia on 3/13/14
Read Review

Peek-A Boo Basic Bolero Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -12 years )
Peek-A Boo Basic Bolero Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -12 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Art Smock Digital Pattern ( Size 2T-7 )
Peek-A Boo Art Smock Digital Pattern ( Size 2T-7 )

Details
Price: $4.99
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simplicity 1816
photo
Review by Linda0902 on 9/23/13
Read Review

Victory Ava Paper Pattern
Victory Ava Paper Pattern

Details
Price: $19.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

ADVANCED SLEEVE - A CD Book by Kenneth King
ADVANCED SLEEVE - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Details
Price: $24.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

New Look 6643 Pattern
New Look 6643 Pattern

Details
Price: $4.49
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Butterick 4486 Pattern ( Size SML-MED-LRG )
Butterick 4486 Pattern ( Size SML-MED-LRG )

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN