SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fitting Woes > Silhouette's sizing ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Silhouette's sizing
Kaitlynn's blouse pattern
halleyscomet
starstarstar
halleyscomet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

Date: 4/2/12 8:16 PM

While at the Cleveland expo I picked up my first Silhouette pattern #625 Kaitlynn's blouse. Since no one has reviewed this pattern and I've never sewn a Silhouette pattern, any advise on her sizing? I have narrow shoulders so I usually sew a 10 and a 12 with a FBA graduating up to a 14 for the hips. On the pattern for a size 1 it says the full bust is 38 inches. My full bust is 36 inches. I wonder if I should go with a size 1? Will it be small enough through the shoulders though? Any info on her patterns will be greatly appreciated!

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to halleyscomet <<

Date: 4/2/12 9:08 PM

The measurements on the pattern are not body measurements but finished garment measurements. Peggy suggests you measure a similar garment for ease you like. If you have questions email her she answers quickly.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Subject: Silhouettes sizing Date: 4/2/12 10:41 PM

Adding to Nancy K's comment, I've heard Peggy say that she rarely encounters someone with narrow shoulders. It's usually due to how awful patterns are graded where as the size gets larger the shoulders get wider and the armhole gets bigger. I would select the pattern by measuring something in your closet that fits similar to the way you want this blouse to fit. The pattern has cup sizing so no need for FBA.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 4/2/12 11:37 PM

halleyscomet, I have this pattern set aside (actually tried to get to it for fall 2011) and I was going to sew a 1. I am 35-36 full bust, with narrow shoulders. I usually also sew a 10, 12, 14 combination. I don't do an FBA. What fabric are you planning? I really like the blouse!!

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

halleyscomet
starstarstar
halleyscomet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

In reply to marec <<

Date: 4/3/12 8:11 AM

Marec, got to go through my stash to see if I have something. I just recently went and got fitted for a new bra and they put me in a 36B. I've worn a 34C for years so now I'm wondering if I need to do a
FBA. I, too, really like this blouse and I can't believe no one has made it yet.

Are you still plan on sewing it? What fabric are you going to use?

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/3/12 8:27 AM

As one who's been working with Silhouette Patterns as of late, and watching and participating in the webcasts, I really like the way the patterns fit. I saw Peggy work with this same pattern into a jacket on a model. It fit beautifully!

The sizing goes like this: If you are wanting to make this out of a knit, with stretch, you wrap the knit around you at the bustline, then measure that amount. Take into consideration how tight you want to make this garment when wrapping. Then you use that pattern size. The same is true for the wovens. As to an FBA, unless you're over a D cup, you don't need to, because that's the beauty of her patterns.

And as to narrow shoulders, I have 4.5" shoulders and most patterns are 5" and over. Because my shoulders also roll forward, the right much more than the left, I have to trim off a bit at the shoulder seam, tapering down to the notch. This is just my preference. If I'm working with a knit, I don't have to.

Size 1's full bust is 38 inches and Peggy says to have about 4" of ease minimum if you're making something that you need movement, such as a blouse out of a woven. So if it were me, I'd go up to the next size then fit at the side seams if I need to.

Also, Peggy's patterns require a 3/8" seam allowance, including the French dart, so remind yourself of this when sewing.

Finally, the very first item I made, just recently, was a top with long sleeves, using the Sweater Set, #195. My bust is 40" and I used a Size 4, because this pattern calls for a knit. It fit beautifully, with no alterations; so much so that I made two more tops.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
Illinois USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 4/3/12 9:01 AM

This is such helpful information. Thanks for posting!

------
A balanced diet is a cupcake in each hand.

Sherril Miller
starstarstarstar
Sherril Miller  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Subject: Silhouettes sizing Date: 4/3/12 11:37 AM

Peggy does a terrible job grading up for the plus-sized patterns. Lots of women complain about that, but if you're making the smaller sizes, you should be fine using the measurement chart and measuring the fit of something you like.

------
Visit my blog at http://sewingsaga.blogspot.com

If it's worth sewing, it's worth sewing well;
and if it's worth sewing well, it's worth FITTING FIRST! - TSL

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/3/12 12:29 PM

You do not have to do FBA's for Silhouette patterns.
They have different front pattern pieces for each cup size.

The first question Peggy will ask you when you ask her what size you should make will be:
"How Much Ease do you like in your blouses"
Then you will say to Peggy "I don't know".
Then Peggy will say to you "Do you have a blouse in your closet that fits the way you like?"
Then you will say "yes"
Then Peggy will say "measure the circumference of that blouse at the bust and find that number on the back of the pattern envelope that matches and use that size".
Then you will say " but what cup size should I use"
Then Peggy will say " what cup size is your bra"
Then you will say "B"
Then Peggy will say "use the front pattern piece that is for B cups"

If you have watched any of Peggy's webcast or taken any classes from her you will have heard this same dialogue over and over.

One, of the many things, that amazes me about Peggy is how patient she is no matter the question. You have to figure she has answered these questions a million times.

Peggy's plus sizes work great for me as I have no hips, but I can see where a person with more hip would have a problem.

------
Ada

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 4/3/12 2:17 PM

Quote:
Are you still plan on sewing it? What fabric are you going to use?

I had some tropical wool set aside...but I used it for a dress which then became a donation. But, I love the blouse, and will move it up in my queue after this conversation. The info in the thread cleared up some confusion I had. So...fabric? I need cardis and coverups for spring and summer to cover my shoulders. I think a linen blend to start...then a knit for cool evening. I'm seeing a light colored linen with some silk screening or a rayon blend with a pretty print. Maybe I'll sew 2 at once

As for bra size, I change size depending upon the style/brand. I have also noted that any weight gain/loss really affects my bra size. I wear both a 34B and 36B. If I wear a C, it must be specialized for va va voom factor.

What fabric do you want to use? What color? Woven? Knit? Details?

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Silhouette's sizing

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Sew Liberated Brynna Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Brynna Dress Pattern

Buy Now
NECKLINES AND DRAPING - A CD Book by Kenneth King

NECKLINES AND DRAPING - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.