SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fitting Woes > best online course to learn fitting ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
best online course to learn fitting
brissmith
star
brissmith
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 3/21/10
Send Message

Date: 4/3/12 5:14 PM

any recommendations for an online course to learn how fit a muslin. I saw that there is a course on craftsy (spelling?) on how to fit and sew a vogue dress - thinking that could be a good way to go.
my main difficulty is fitting the bodice and i think once i understand properly how to fit it that I should be right for the future. i have been debating whether to buy a reference book (have a little in my Colette handbook) but think I would prefer a class where i can post pics of my muslin and get feedback.
I am comfortable with other sewing (EG putting in a zipper, facings, etc)
TIA
Susan

Deepika
starstarstarstar
Deepika  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 11/28/01
Founder
Send Message

In reply to brissmith <<

Date: 4/3/12 5:27 PM

hi Susan,

We have two online classes on Fitting coming up.

The Create a Jacket Muslin with Angela Wolf

And

Fun with fitting Bodice with Darts with Sarah Veblen.

In the both the classes you have the option of learning from video. And there is a place to post your photos and get feedback on your muslin from the teachers at all times. Once you sign up for these classes you have access to them forever.

Hope this helps.

------
- Deepika
Founder, PatternReview.com
Blog: http://www.deepikablogs.com

brissmith
star
brissmith
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 3/21/10
Send Message

Date: 4/3/12 6:18 PM

Thanks i did see those. The live chat would be great but I think 8pm USA time would be when I'm at work here in Australia that was my only concern

Deepika
starstarstarstar
Deepika  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 11/28/01
Founder
Send Message

In reply to brissmith <<

Date: 4/3/12 7:06 PM

The chats are optional. Most of the q/a happens in the classroom which is open 24x7. Also you can always download the transcripts later.

------
- Deepika
Founder, PatternReview.com
Blog: http://www.deepikablogs.com

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
Illinois USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 4/3/12 7:41 PM

Just wanted to chime in...I've taken numerous PR online classes, and I've never been able to take part in the realtime chats, although I do read the transcripts after they're posted. Deepika is right. The downloaded lessons are always excellent, and the classroom q & a is soooo helpful!! You can uplaod pics and have the instructors give you feedback. I've never been disappointed with a PR class. hth

------
A balanced diet is a cupcake in each hand.

brissmith
star
brissmith
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 3/21/10
Send Message

Date: 4/3/12 8:20 PM

thanks I also have issues fitting waist/hips/back so wondering if there will be a dress fitting class coming up?

marjoriekh
star
marjoriekh  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 8/28/10
Send Message

In reply to brissmith <<

Date: 4/3/12 10:09 PM

I thought I read somewhere here that Sarah Veblen is preparing a skirt-fitting class to be offered soon. Can't find the reference at the moment, though. As I understand it, that class combined with the bodice-fitting class would cover most fitting issues for a dress.

I could be wrong. Maybe Deepika will stop back and clarify one way or the other.

(I'm taking the Bust Adjustment class right now, and I just want to concur that, while the chats are fun and offer additional information, the real meat is in the lessons and classroom Q & A. You can ask detailed questions at any time and even post photos and get personalized responses from your instructor. In the future I would not hesitate to sign up for a class even if I had to miss the chats.)

------
marjoriekh

ghijsmom

ghijsmom  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
PANAMA
Member since 12/5/08
Send Message

Date: 4/4/12 7:34 AM

I took the Fun With Fitting - Bodice and it was a great class. While life got in the way of my getting my muslin completely fitted, I was happy with the class and many of the other students did extremely well. When I get home and can work on it again, I hope to have a well fitting shirt pattern to make again and again.
Also, Sarah Veblen has a fitting book that's highly recommended.

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 4/4/12 7:41 AM

The class on Craftsy with Susan Khalje is more of a couture sewing class than a fitting class. I am taking it now and LOVE the information I am getting. If you want to pick up some great sewing information, this is an excellent class.

That said, I am watching for a muslin class. The info from the Craftsy class makes me want to learn more detail about making a muslin.

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to marjoriekh <<

Date: 4/4/12 9:06 AM

Sarah Veblen is offering a fitting session via e mail from her website, but not a fitting course per se. For $40 you can send her 4 pictures of your muslin and she will tell you what to do. Unfortunately some fitting issues need more than one muslin and more than one fitting session.
An in person fitting class where you fit a shell or something like Kenneth King's moulage class is a good place to start. If you live in the NY metro area he offers periodic fit clinics at Sew Right Sewing Machines in Queens as well as a moulage class. He marks up the muslin you bring and then shows you how to transfer to your pattern.
Most of the fitting classes I've seen listed are for specific garments, like pants, which seems to be everyone's big issue.
Some of the independent sewing stores around the country( those that are left) offer classes in fitting, again usually a type of garment. I don't know where you live, but Palmer Pletsch offers fitting classes around the country. Take a look at their website and see if there are any in your area.
Unfortunately, fitting can have a long learning curve and it's hit or miss if you don't work with an expert.
Peggy Sagers has some wonderful fitting webcasts that are available free on her website, Silhouette Patterns. I don't agree with everything she says, but she gets good results in a simple, straight forward way.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> best online course to learn fitting

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

No Pattern Used Mini Wardrobe

photo
by: nickelc624

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 06-2011-109

photo
by: manola6176

Review
SewBaby Comfy-Alls and Knit Shirt Pattern

SewBaby Comfy-Alls and Knit Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Brynna Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Brynna Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.