SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > HS Sewing Classes ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
HS Sewing Classes
I had to hold my tongue in the store!
gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 4/5/12 11:34 AM

So I was in Hancock's and ran into a class of HS girls being swiftly taken on a tour. A couple sat down at the pattern table and proceeded to choose patterns, then had to fill out the homework forms with questions like, What are the finished garment measurements? and How much lining do you need?
They were clueless as to patterns and overwhelmed by the fast explanation of different fabrics.

The teachers had these beginners making prom-type dresses with linings and boning! Talk about a recipe for turning them off from ever sewing again, plus the cost of wasted fabric.
From the sounds of the 40-ish teacher, she may have been drafted to teach home ec and sewn very little herself. She said proudly, "Oh Yes, we teach sewing in OUR high school!"
I just wanted to gather them up and say, here, lets make a quick pair of pj pants for a starter.

At least I gave her the PR site, told her they could go online to find answers/inspiration/ideas to everything.
She actually said, "But then they wouldn't listen to us in school." ***$$##!!AAArgh!

Any gals still teaching HS out there that figure you have made life-long seamstresses?

Liz92B
Liz92B
Advanced
Alberta CANADA
Member since 12/21/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/5/12 11:44 AM

my mother before ever I got to HS made me a life-long seamstress; the HS teachers expanded my knowledge, therefore helped ... one year included matching plaids!!

------
Liz / Calgary

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

Date: 4/5/12 12:06 PM

Were they actually buying patterns and material? To make, for the first project, with a teacher that hasn't much sewing experience it seems? I'm hoping they were just picking out patterns and writing down the information at that point.

My mom showed me a few basics, but I had never sewn a garment before HS sewing class. But she certainly didn't let me start with a prom dress and cheap fabric. I don't recall the teacher being a lot of help (maybe faulty memory on my part), but I'm sure she would have put a stop to a prom dress thought as there wasn't that much sewing time in class by the time we got things out, had the lesson, put things away. Maybe 20 minutes of actual sewing time per class 2 or 3 days a week?

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 4/5/12 12:47 PM

Well, Prom season is almost here and the girls probably thought and said to each other, "how hard can it be, anyway?". Most likely the teacher does not have much knowledge and was caught up in the Prom season stuff and went along with it.

No, I am not defending the teacher. I think she is crazy to let this kind of thing happen. PJ's are the way to go.
-- Edited on 4/5/12 12:48 PM --

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

Date: 4/5/12 1:07 PM

One of the worst sewing instructors I ever had had a day job as a middle school home ec sewing teacher. She had no patience for someone who wanted to be deliberate and try to do things methodically.

------
Tess

"I am a degenerate art supply junkie" - Jane Davenport

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to TessKwiltz <<

Date: 4/5/12 1:38 PM

Quote:
She had no patience for someone who wanted to be deliberate and try to do things methodically.

And I had the teacher who was so methodical she was OC. And since I had learned from my Mom already, and tended (back then of course) to the sassy-side, I got into a bit of trouble more than once. Like: "Mom doesn't baste everything...why should we?" And "Oh, you really don't need to do that!" SOOOoo...home ec sewing was a washout for me, and thank goodness only occupied a very short space of the whole class, as we went on to cooking and who knows or remembers what else. Junior High. HAHAHaa...Poor teacher - now I see how she was trying, but since my Mom selected a shirt waist dress as my very first project, I knew already. And why not start with something that will turn out to be wearable. For some reason, back then patterns fit me.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 4/5/12 2:09 PM

I've rescued and re-inspired young women who were exposed to unprepared instructors and/or the obsessive type that wasn't able to accommodate their teaching style to the learning style of many of the students.

Our favorite little neighborhood girl/young woman, babysitter, all round great kid found herself in a bad situation. Her project was way beyond her abilities and she desperately needed tutoring to guide her through to completion for the 'fashion show'. I was surprised that she was allowed a project that was so far beyond her level of accomplishment, fitted princess seams into a fitted waistline, gathers, etc. It fit much like the muslin that loti is working on right now.

It wasn't the teacher that was the problem, it was her ^&>^?&! mother!!! Every time we had a tutorial session set up she'd come trotting over; I need her to do this, that, or the other. No respect for her daughter's academic needs much less my schedule The schedule was set in her presence with her approval. Regardless, we plowed through and her daughter did a great job and caught the bug

I am happy to see the stories about folks that had great sewing teachers that inspired them and helped them with a good foundation. I'm sure it's a battle if the school or district doesn't have a respect for the art.

I'm also happy to report that when our son took his class about 20 years ago, he did have a very good teacher. He was the only guy in the class and already knew his way around a sewing machine. He stayed with the class technically, but she allowed some flexibility in project choices to maintain his interest and dignity. She kept a nice balance and increased his interest.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

NM gal
NM gal
Beginner
Member since 5/27/09
Send Message

Date: 4/5/12 2:33 PM

We are very fortunate that the Bernina shop here (Ann Silva's) has a sewing camp for kids. Taught by outstandiing instructors & on fabulous machines.
Boy were we amazed, having moved here from a big city that had NOTHING for kids to learn to sew.

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 4/5/12 2:53 PM

I had a wonderful high school sewing teacher! Those of us who were in the advanced sewing class had the freedom to choose our projects...we had to write proposals that included learning 5 new skills/techniques for each project.. We made pants, western shirts (these were big in the 70's!) lined garments, embroidered peasant blouses, tweed suits, delicate lace blouses...all under the watchful eye of our teacher.

One girl made a beautiful coat which she entered in the Woolrich "Make It With Wool" national contest and won 3rd prize. Do they still have that contest?

My favorite project was a down vest made from a Frostline Kit. Anyone remember those kits? I wore that vest for years.

Our teacher was patient and talented. She knew the classic methods but was willing to let us experiment with new things that came along like fusible interfacing, Stretch n Sew Patterns, and jeans studs. Sewing was not cool in the late 70's...my friends considered home ec to be a betrayal of feminism.
-- Edited on 4/5/12 2:55 PM --

Lady_Mame
star
Lady_Mame
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 3/11/07
Send Message

Date: 4/5/12 6:09 PM

I'd rather fit a dress than pants -- and a nice bag lining? How much easier is that than sewing nice finishes? Not sure this is the worst starter project.

------
Needle Needle Straight and Slim, Dust and Sweep the House for Him! --Grimm Fairy Tales

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> HS Sewing Classes

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Online Class
More Knits
More Knits

Class Details

StyleArc Jenny Shirt

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Beginner Sewing Lab 101 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 101  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

More Info
Sewing Workshop New Yorker Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop New Yorker Jacket Pattern

More Info
Butterick 5859

photo
by: Heatherriq...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.