SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Quilt for man... ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Quilt for man...
shaelawnsmom
shaelawnsmom
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 10/10/11
Send Message

Date: 4/6/12 9:02 AM

I purchased this set for a friend, who is a male. Do you think this is too girly?? He wants a quilt; but I have never made a quilt for a man. Thank you for your input.

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
MA USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to shaelawnsmom <<

Date: 4/6/12 10:12 AM

I cannot open your picture. Is there another way you could post it?

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

Trinity.
starstar
Trinity.
Intermediate
MA USA
Member since 10/9/05
Send Message

Date: 4/6/12 10:28 AM

I can't see it either. But I've made quilts for all my guys (husband and 3 sons) and they tend to like dark colors. Or earth tones.

------
Trinity

http://thimblesthreadsandneedles.blogspot.com/

kath210
kath210
Member since 5/11/09
Send Message

In reply to shaelawnsmom <<

Date: 4/9/12 1:33 PM

Check with the moderators to make the photo seen? Or tell us the basic pattern if you know it and the colors.

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
IL USA
Member since 7/19/03
Send Message

Date: 4/9/12 2:56 PM

Prairie Paisley II Moda Charm Pack 5" Squares Minick & Simpson

The first link has a different photo, but the image is of the same fabrics, but smaller pieces, possibly showing a bit more how it might look in an actual quilt.

My first opinion is that it may be a little too flowery for most guys... But maybe you can work out a pattern that would be more masculine and would downplay the flowers; I think the pieces would need to be fairly small or narrow.
Here's a pdf of the whole collection:
Moda's pdf of the collection
It also includes photos of 4 different ways the fabrics could be used in a quilt.
-- Edited on 4/9/12 3:19 PM --

------
blog: goodworks1.wordpress.com

kath210
kath210
Member since 5/11/09
Send Message

Date: 4/11/12 12:18 PM

Though we often use more browns and blues for men's quilt, I think this would be fine because of it's country look.
You might want to run the colors by him before doing all the work, just in case he finds them feminine. But I think it's fine.

elizajo
star
elizajo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA USA
Member since 4/15/05
Send Message

Date: 4/15/12 0:33 AM

I am going to order a couple of the fabrics in this collection next week to round out a "mostly blues" scrappy quilt I need to make for our master bedroom. I just received a box of blues from Thousands of Bolts, but it's hard to find lights with just blue or just red. This Moda collection is one of the few that I found that has them.

You could also make the collection of fabrics more masculine by adding some shirting plaids or stripes. I made a log cabin quilt for DH using dark Civil War repro prints and recycled men's plaid shirts for the lights.

DH likes sports, hunting, and fishing, but doesn't like their representation in fabrics and decor. Also, he emphatically doesn't want flowers on "his" fabrics. That pretty much leaves geometrics, paisley, plaids, and stripes. Sometimes I mix in a few batiks, but an entire quilt of them would be too "modern" for my traditional DH.
-- Edited on 4/15/12 10:27 AM --

------
Elizabeth

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 4/20/12 8:02 PM

medium brown leafy print

green border and dark color print

brown focus fabric

These are my next project fabrics. I am making a rail fence for my hubby in these colors. The fabric is the first one, 5682-0.

I started out with a medium blue, added a medium gray, but could not decide on the 3rd color. More gray did not help. None of the light tans called. A yellow did not work. No batiks worked. A light cream went with the blue, but not the gray. After 20 minutes of this, I asked for help. The owner helped me when she could. She does not have a staff yet, as the store is just 4 months old. I waited. Cheran is the sweetest person.

I decided to switch to the browns instead and she helped me choose these colors. I choose the green. First she pulled the light brown print. I liked that a lot. After I few mintues of our looking at different collections, I chose the green print. I think she was glad I had pulled it. It is a good choice. When she added the brown/green print, I was not so sure anymore. However, that print grows on me. It it my favorite of the 3 now. Cheran suggested the dark green for the border. I was thinking the light brown. As I make it, I might buy another 2 yards of the light print and make the border that color. I can always use the dark green for the binding color.

Tomorrow I am taking a binding class at this shop, so I can finish my quilt and sleep at night. I dream about it, but in the dream I am not sure what to do. That is driving me nuts. So for the cost of $20 for 3 hours, I'll get more knowledge and hopefully make 2 more friends in the class. And sleep soundly at night.
-- Edited on 4/20/12 8:15 PM --
-- Edited on 4/20/12 10:18 PM --

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Franksdottir

Franksdottir
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew <<

Date: 4/20/12 10:03 PM

I am sure your husband will be very happy with your choices.

And how nice it is for you to have such helpful people near at hand. I think it will make all of the difference in your sleep!

------
Barb

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew <<

Date: 4/21/12 9:59 AM

Quote: Learn To Sew
medium brown leafy print

green border and dark color print

brown focus fabric

These are my next project fabrics. I am making a rail fence for my hubby in these colors. The fabric is the first one, 5682-0.

I started out with a medium blue, added a medium gray, but could not decide on the 3rd color. More gray did not help. None of the light tans called. A yellow did not work. No batiks worked. A light cream went with the blue, but not the gray. After 20 minutes of this, I asked for help. The owner helped me when she could. She does not have a staff yet, as the store is just 4 months old. I waited. Cheran is the sweetest person.

I decided to switch to the browns instead and she helped me choose these colors. I choose the green. First she pulled the light brown print. I liked that a lot. After I few mintues of our looking at different collections, I chose the green print. I think she was glad I had pulled it. It is a good choice. When she added the brown/green print, I was not so sure anymore. However, that print grows on me. It it my favorite of the 3 now. Cheran suggested the dark green for the border. I was thinking the light brown. As I make it, I might buy another 2 yards of the light print and make the border that color. I can always use the dark green for the binding color.

Tomorrow I am taking a binding class at this shop, so I can finish my quilt and sleep at night. I dream about it, but in the dream I am not sure what to do. That is driving me nuts. So for the cost of $20 for 3 hours, I'll get more knowledge and hopefully make 2 more friends in the class. And sleep soundly at night.

-- Edited on 4/20/12 8:15 PM --
-- Edited on 4/20/12 10:18 PM --

Nice fabric!

I'm glad you found some help too- nothing worse than having an unfinsihed quilting nightmare haunt you at night!

I can't wait to see your bound quilt!

------
Cathryn

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Quilt for man...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Simplicity 2145

photo
by: saranoemi

Review
Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Riviera Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Riviera Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
New Look 6115

photo
by: Vonnevo

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.