SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Plus Size Sewing > I LOVE me some Sunshine! ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I LOVE me some Sunshine!
Is there such a thing as TOO many Sunshine tops
NicholeMc
star
NicholeMc
Intermediate
New Hampshire USA
Member since 3/26/08
Send Message

Date: 4/6/12 1:31 PM

So, I love Hot Patterns' Sunshine top, and I already have 5 or so (some of which need to be retired), and I just got in a whole bunch of ITYs from Fabric.com and Fabric Mart that's screaming to be more cute spring-y tops. Tell me, is there such a thing as TOO many Sunshine tops? I love the style, the fit, and I have the construction down pat. But I'm afraid that people will start to notice that I have 10 of the same shirt just in different fabrics. I'm hesitant to go out and try all sorts of new patterns because I'm afraid of being disappointed (there aren't many patterns out there suited for full busted plus size gals).

Tell me your thoughts! Please!

PS. I tried the Riviera Coe D'Azur Top twice (in a solid and a print), and I'm just not in love with it like I am the Sunshine top.

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to NicholeMc <<

Date: 4/6/12 3:00 PM

NO! I say go ahead and make those wonderful tops that you like so well. I don't think nobody will notice that they are the same pattern but differen't colors. You like them Make them.

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

KathySews
star
KathySews
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 4/6/12 4:21 PM

I am happy to hear this is a great pattern. I bet you can make one up pretty quickly now that the pattern fits. As a fellow plus I know how wonderful that is.

BTW I could swear I bought this at some point, but cannot find it in my stash (along with several others). Off to search my sewing room again.

rivergum
starstarstarstar
rivergum
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/17/06
Send Message

Date: 4/6/12 4:37 PM

I doubt very much that anyone will notice that the pattern is the same, especially if you use different prints. You can always make the most of the variations provided as part of the pattern. I think it will look more like you have your own personal style to a non-sewist, rather than multiples of the same thing.

------
Taking in is happier than letting out.

Sydney, Australia

michellep74
starstarstar
michellep74  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 7/19/07
Send Message

Date: 4/6/12 4:59 PM

I've made the HP Sunshine top 6 times (3 of which are now retired). I love that pattern! My tunic-length Sunshine tops are pretty much my only pre-pregnancy clothing items that I can still wear now that I'm 6 months pregnant.

------
--Michelle

Blog: http://happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com/

2014 Fabric IN: 153.13 yards
2014 Fabric OUT: 88 yards
2014 Fabric Sewn: 38 yards
2014 Fabric Donated: 50 yards
pre-2014 Stash patterns used in 2014: 7

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/6/12 8:13 PM

I asked the same question in a review about StyleArc's Creative Cate b/c I LOVE it and I've made 5 or 6 so far. Go for it! Make more and support me in my making many of one easy peasy pattern that I love!

JEF

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

jeanau
jeanau
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 4/19/07
Send Message

In reply to michellep74 <<

Date: 4/6/12 9:02 PM

Quote: michellep74
I've made the HP Sunshine top 6 times (3 of which are now retired). I love that pattern! My tunic-length Sunshine tops are pretty much my only pre-pregnancy clothing items that I can still wear now that I'm 6 months pregnant.

How are you feeling Michele?
Pam~Off The Cuff~
star
Pam~Off The Cuff~  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
New York USA
Member since 4/18/05
Send Message

In reply to NicholeMc <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/7/12 10:07 AM

OMGosh....the HP sunshine top is one of my very favorite patterns ever!

I probably have at least a dozen for myself of different fabrics, some with long sleeves, etc...plus more that I've sewn as gifts for friends and family :)

To vary the look....I change the width and depth of the neckline "band". It's easy to do by adding to (or subtracting from) the inner curve. In fact, the shape and depth of the front of the band (from shoulder point to shoulder point) can be changed very easily by just drawing a different curve :)

..and the band can be made from woven fabrics....so that opens up even more opportunities for different looks.

~Pam

------
~Pam

Pamela Erny
OFF THE CUFF ~Style~
www.Off-The-Cuff-Style.blogspot.com
and My Store...
www.FashionSewingSupply.com !

JennaF
star
JennaF
Intermediate
Member since 5/10/10
Send Message

Date: 4/7/12 11:20 AM

In RTW, I buy the same shirt in different colors all the time! I do the same with patterns. If it works, work it!

------
http://www.seamstressintraining.blogspot.com

NicholeMc
star
NicholeMc
Intermediate
New Hampshire USA
Member since 3/26/08
Send Message

Date: 4/7/12 11:21 AM

Thanks, Ladies! This is making me feel better about making up 6 more of these. :)

@KathySews - if you have this pattern in your stash, make it up! You won't be disappointed. This fit me right out of the envelope - all I did was add a little length to the sleeves and bottom hem (I'm 5'11").

@MichelleP - I JUST joked with my 25-week pregnant sister that this is a +/-30lbs shirt! I've made her a couple to wear, and she loves them, too. Congrats on your exciting news!

@Pam - Great suggestions, Pam! Have you ever subtracted from that band? I don't think I'd like it any more low cut - is it just me? I also just remembered I have some sew-on gems I got on clearance that i could sew around the neck band, too! Also, I once tried to make it a v-neck instead of a scoop, but I remember that not working out. Maybe I'll give that another try. Finally, just want to say thanks for such great interfacing. The only interfacing I use on these tops is PRO-SHEER Elegance (and I use it on all 4 band pieces) (NAYY). One of my tops that should be retired has been washed and dried no less than 50 times, and the fabric is showing more wear than the interfacing. TY TY TY TY

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Plus Size Sewing >> I LOVE me some Sunshine!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Kwik Sew 3385

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
SewBaby Twirl Top and Pants Pattern

SewBaby Twirl Top and Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things The Boot Slippers Pattern

Favorite Things The Boot Slippers Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.