SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Women Going Stag ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Women Going Stag
Elaray
starstarstar
Elaray
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 4/20/05
Send Message

Date: 4/6/12 8:01 PM

I'm from the generation that believes a woman alone is suspect. I decided, at the last minute, to see a play. Since it was the last minute, I didn't try to get anyone to go with me. Yet, I am a little reluctant to go by myself. I don't mind going to see a movie by myself, I'm used to going to restaurants alone, but I feel a little strange about going to this play. I feel like the spotlight will be on me, not on the stage, although I know no one will even notice.

How to you feel about attending events alone. Are there some things you will not do unless you have a friend or a date to tag along? I'm curious.
-- Edited on 4/6/12 8:23 PM --

------
I sew, therefore I am.

Visit my blog at http://anothercreation.blogspot.com

Jodi B.
star
Jodi B.  Friend of PR
Intermediate
SK CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 4/6/12 8:44 PM

This is something that I'm starting to explore myself right now. And it's new for me. I'm finding it awkward even though I don't want to. So I'd love any suggestions on how not to feel self conscious.

It's odd. Intellectually, I don't see anything wrong with going out and doing the things you want to - whether you've got company or you're by yourself. But when it comes down to doing it myself, it's more challenging.

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 4/6/12 9:32 PM

Going stag. Wow that's not a term I've heard in a while. I travel for work and many times I'm on my own. I get bored from time to time. That's why there's text messaging and if you have a data plan you can come visit us on PR. And I like to think of it as an opportunity to chat with someone new.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/6/12 10:40 PM

My mil was horrified when I went on an overseas trip by myself, leaving both dh and kids behind. She truly could not understand a woman travelling alone.

Go, enjoy the play.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

gabrielle

gabrielle
Beginner
WA USA
Member since 3/27/02
Send Message

Date: 4/7/12 0:03 AM

I look at it this way--I think a person who's attending an event solo is there not out of obligation or for a date, but purely to enjoy the experience. I find those people interesting and appealing.

Mandolin82
star
Mandolin82  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 5/8/03
Send Message

Date: 4/7/12 0:34 AM

I would have absolutely no problem going by myself and would probably not notice somebody else doing something solo. And if I did, it wouldn't be with any negative thoughts. It is nice to have a companion to talk about things with, but I've done quite a bit of travelling by myself and often enjoy not having to take anybody else's preferences into consideration.

My sister, free spirit that she is, travelled by herself in Turkey. That would have been 25-30 years ago. She has some interesting stories, mostly great ones.

dove29

dove29  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 4/28/07
Send Message

In reply to Elaray <<

Date: 4/7/12 1:19 AM

I'm stuck going solo - most of my friends are married or too far away. I'll go to lots of things but generally not musicals, rock concerts or restaurants where I need a reservation. Ball games, free concerts, festivals, travel, movies, what the heck, I still go. I really don't think there's a problem at the symphony or the opera, but then I'm usually up in the balcony, not going to some opening night gala thing. Last time was fun, I got into a conversation with the couple next to me before the music started.
OK, I can't bring myself to buy season tickets to anything.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 4/7/12 3:50 AM

I had to do it by myself for a number of years, and really, if it's certain things I still will have to because my DH and I have different interests or hope my mother is well enough to go with me.

I find it hard to make friends in general, so it's never been much of an option. I go and have fun and do my own thing. I've met a lot of interesting people over the years doing that, the last one was a gentleman from Russia that I had one heck of a historical conversation with over the Romanov family.

If you feel uncomfortable, then it may not be fun for you, but there is a lot of things going stag makes a lot more interesting.

StitchWench
StitchWench
Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to Elaray <<

Date: 4/7/12 6:31 AM

Quote: Elaray
I decided, at the last minute, to see a play. Since it was the last minute, I didn't try to get anyone to go with me.

I'm very happy to go to a play on my own, as well as music concerts, the cinema & restaurants. I see many other on-their-own women when I attend these venues & really think it's quite acceptable. It did take a couple of times to feel comfortable. I'd rather go alone than not go at all.
Gilraen Surion

Gilraen Surion
Intermediate
NETHERLANDS
Member since 6/6/04
Send Message

Date: 4/7/12 7:07 AM

I did do it a lot, attending things on my own. Holiday, movies, plays etc. I was single for 10 years so either I did not get to do things I love or had to do them on my own. I chose to seek out things I love and met one of my best friends that way.

Only the first time is awkward. I have found that often you get to meet more people when you are on your own than when with another person It seems when there is two you do focus on the other.

These days it is less as DH and I have very many of the same interests and love spending time together as both of us travel frequently for work. While away for work we do do a lot on our own though come to think of it

Seriously, why would you deny yourself something you enjoy, just because you do not have a companion to join? How knows you may end up meeting new friends like I did.

Gilraen

------
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Women Going Stag

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

McCall's 6112

photo
by: Heatherriq...

Review
PerfectFuseTailorUltra Black

PerfectFuseTailorUltra Black

Buy Now
Petite Plus 151 Pattern

Petite Plus 151 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.