Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Fitting Woes > Why is it difficult to find folks (outside of PR) who want to sew fitted clothes? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Why is it difficult to find folks (outside of PR) who want to sew fitted clothes?
Quilting and home dec sewing prevail in my area
schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
TX USA
Member since 12/5/06
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 3 members like this.
Date: 4/8/12 12:38 PM

For about a year now, I've been attending monthly meetings of an informal machine embroidery group. All participants are accomplished members of the local quilt guild. I don't quilt but joined the guild for access to machine embroidery folks. Last week, for show and tell, I modeled a blouse I'd made and monogrammed. This was the second handmade, embellished garment I've shared with this group.

As I elaborated on fitting challenges the blouse presented, I expected some kind of commiseration. Nobody said a word! This group has been together for a long time and, as a newcomer and beginning embroiderer, I've hesitated to jump into most discussions. But I looked around and said, "You all are enthusiastic about quilting and home decorating sewing, but I never hear anyone talk about garment sewing for themselves or anyone else. Are you all simply not interested?" Every single woman there remarked that she USED to sew clothing but gave up trying to achieve a decent fit!

While I'm the first to admit fitting is often a discouraging activity, I told them I'm determined to figure it out because I am just plain exhausted from the never-ending problems with RTW (poor quality, high prices, and rarely finding an item that fits). I was truly disappointed that not one of them is interested in this current passion of mine. A local machine dealer offers classes that occasionally include a garment project. I want a sewing/fitting buddy! So, I plan to take as many of these classes as I can, in hope of making a new friend who shares my quest.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Just wondering.

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

In reply to schmammy <<

Date: 4/8/12 1:37 PM

Yes, Yes , Yes. I never joined a guild due to one "requirement" - food.

Sitting and sewing tends to add on weight without snacking as you go!

Fit is not my issue. However, RTW styles tend to go from mini to great-great grandma without anything in-between and those are issues for me.

I think you are on the right track in taking the lessons at the dealership as you may find someone there who also would like a sewing buddy. Share with the staff that you are looking for someone to sew with outside of class as that someone may have already mentioned this to them.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

JeanK

JeanK
Advanced
OR
Member since 2/15/04

In reply to schmammy <<

Date: 4/8/12 1:54 PM

Is there a chapter of the American Sewing Guild in your area? You'd likely find many fit fanatics there.

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 11/21/09

Date: 4/8/12 2:44 PM

I went to the April meeting of my area Am sewing guild. There were over 10 people for show & tell, only 3 had garments.

When I showed my 5 garments then asked if anyone would volenteer for a pattern fitting session, there were three women who raised their hands out of about 30 women.

Very sad. I am thinking of doing a program on pattern fitting at the guild. Maybe that would spark some interest.

------
Ada

quathy
star
quathy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 6/3/06

Date: 4/8/12 5:09 PM

I've noticed the same... There are a dozen people in my monthly embroidery club - two used to sew garments professionally but the rest just kind of stand back in awe and think it's too hard or they would rather just quilt. In my monthly sewing club - around 30 regular attendees, it's very rare that someone makes a garment, with the exception of an occasional child's dress. Many of these people were taught general sewing in home dec, but think that fitting is too challenging and not fun, and I think it's just something they don't want to do at this point.

I'm fascinated by the construction and fitting process of garment sewing, but I get the feeling that this is what most people in my sewing groups want to avoid. Plus it's hard to find fabrics that you want to wear, and in-person classes are few and far between, so I think you have to be determined and motivated.

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 12/28/04

In reply to schmammy <<

Date: 4/8/12 6:03 PM

Join the club. I don't know anyone locally who sews clothing. I know people form PR and blogging whom I've met, but that's when people come into NYC to buy fabric.
I have on several occasions posted here seeking fellow garment sewers and never got much of a response.
I've even taken some classes with Kenneth King in Queens but I am always the one traveling the furthest. I've also been the only one wearing clothing I've made.
Every single sewing machine dealer on LI specializes in quilting and quilting fabric, even the dealer who sponsors Kenneth's classes.

-- Edited on 4/8/12 6:07 PM --

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09

In reply to schmammy <<

Date: 4/8/12 6:06 PM

Yes, this sounds very familiar, except for the meetings since I don't embroider or quilt. I'd like a sewing/fitting buddy too! I've asked around (dealers, Joanns, county extension office) but haven't found anyone, who knows of anyone, sewing adult clothing. There are several ASG's scattered throughout the state - the one with a website is all about quilting, or so it seems. I haven't contacted them yet though - they're quite a distance away, so I don't know if I'd attend. It's frustrating. You are not alone.

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09

In reply to Nancy K <<

Date: 4/8/12 6:19 PM

NancyK,
I would have never believed you'd have a problem in NYC! I don't feel that bad now. I blame (and somewhat accept) my inability to find other sewers/sewists on my living outside of the cities. I guess it doesn't matter where you live.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to schmammy <<

Date: 4/8/12 7:26 PM

Quote:
Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Just wondering.
< hand shoots up quickly > Me!!! Me!! I too am the "red haired step child" of my quilting guild. Now, mind you, I also teach quilting classes, but when I make something to wear to a guild meeting, no one asks about it, but they do know I make my own clothes; even my underwear.

But all too often I've wished I had someone to commiserate with. That's not to say that the guild doesn't have people who once sewed; there is a college level home-ec-equivalent professor who attends the meetings regularly. I can ask for her advice sometimes, but then she gives me general answers. Her body size is different from mine, her being a size 10, so it's difficult for her to relate to me too.

Edited to add: I think the deal is "marketing, marketing, marketing" For example, how many designer clothing magazines do you find at your grocery store newsstand? I don't find any, but ask about quilting books--too many to number. So I'll just cruise around like I've been doing, because there are no sewing machine dealers within 50 miles and none that offer fitting classes--just embroidery and quilting.
-- Edited on 4/8/12 7:29 PM --

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

katlew03
starstarstar
katlew03  Friend of PR
Advanced
FL USA
Member since 1/4/08

Date: 4/8/12 7:59 PM

There seems to be a stigma about those who make their own clothes. My DGD loves the clothes I make her and would wear them instead of those DD buys her. A couple of weeks ago, DD told me not to make her any more skirts or dresses because there was no room in her closet for them. For awhile, every time I saw DGD, she was wearing something I made her. Now I never see that -- could have something to do with the fact that DD is mad at me about something and is "influencing" her choices. I'll make a few things, and it there is no interest, I'll just make up the clothes and give them to DH to sell at the Relay for Life where the proceeds go toward cancer research. I'll still sew, regardless of where the clothes go.

I have had a series of problems lately getting my patterns to fit and can see why some sewers turn to RTW, even when it fits poorly. It just seems like one problem after another. Oh, for the days when I could just cut and sew and it fit perfectly

It does seem that the only fabric available is quilting cotton. I've compared some of the cottons from 30 years ago (yes I still have some) and today's fabrics are such poor quality although some are very pricey. However, some are better, but they are usually the high-end quilting cottons. I end up ordering from Fabric.com and not knowing what I'm receiving. With me, a lot of it is that I just don't feel like taking the time to solve fitting problems when I have so much else to do. I enjoy sewing when I finally sit down in the SR, but it might take me days to get motivated enough to head in that direction. Why take hours to do it when I can run to the nearest department store and find sales at 30-50% off and wear it for one season and then buy more? Also, another factor is that people don't dress up any more. When I was young and working, women wore dresses or skirts and tops with panty hose and heels. Casual wear was slacks and blouses and sweaters. Now the slacks and blouses are dress-up and workplace attire is flip-flops, jeans, shorts, work-out clothes, and baggy, poorly-fitted, too big or too tight clothing that looks like it has not been near an iron. The more casual the clothing, the less buyers want timeless classics that last more than a season. We have become a throw-away society, probably because by the end of the season it is faded and worn out with missing buttons, broken zippers, holes and pulled-out seams. The fabric is not even good for the scrap quilts that our great grandparents made.

------
Sewn in 2012: 176.212 yds.
2013 Goal: 400 yds (again)
Total sewn in 2013 -- 225.848 yds.
Total yards in inventory 1/1/14 -- 1752.5
Goal for 2014 -- 400 yards (for the third time)

Machines: Designer Diamond, #1+, H Class 100Q, and Viking 400 Serger: 936

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Why is it difficult to find folks (outside of PR) who want to sew fitted clothes?

Merchants on PR
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Put it on the Bias
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
Put it on the Bias

Online Sewing Classes
Leather 101
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Leather 101

Jamie Christina JC-312MM
photo
Review by mimi g. on 10/23/11
Read Review

Islander Sewing Systems Moebius Scarf Pattern
Islander Sewing Systems Moebius Scarf Pattern

Details
Price: $9.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

You Sew Girl 100mm Shell Purse Pattern
You Sew Girl 100mm Shell Purse Pattern

Details
Price: $29.10
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Simple Things Simply Sweet Circle Scarf Digital Pattern (006)
Simple Things Simply Sweet Circle Scarf Digital Pattern (006)

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

A New York Mini
A New York Mini

Details
Price: $7.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue Patterns 8839 Misses' Jacket
photo
Review by globalgran on 1/3/13
Read Review

Burda 7005 Pattern
Burda 7005 Pattern

Details
Price: $9.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Colette Patterns Ginger Pattern (1016)
Colette Patterns Ginger Pattern (1016)

Details
Price: $16.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN