SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Strong desire to make what I think may be unsuitable ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Strong desire to make what I think may be unsuitable
Why do I so want to make a style which I am not sure will suit me?
Clareew
star
Clareew  Friend of PR
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

Date: 4/8/12 12:59 PM

Every time I think of making this pattern .

I keep talking myself out of it because I tend to need clothes which go in at the waist so that my bit of shape shows.

photo

This shows my shape and back curve. Could I put darts in the back.

What do you think
-- Edited on 4/8/12 1:00 PM --
-- Edited on 4/8/12 4:22 PM --

------
Clare

Machines: Juki F600, Juki 654 serger, Bernina 550 for art work, Janome Coverpro 1000cp barely used
A Singer Featherweight Centennial and an old Necci in the loft waiting for TLC

http://art-by-clare.blogspot.co.uk/

Peggy L
starstarstar
Peggy L  Friend of PR
Advanced
TN USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 4/8/12 1:03 PM

Go try on a similar look in RTW. Usually helps me.

------
www.thereisjoyadventures.blogspot.com

nicegirl
starstarstarstar
nicegirl
Intermediate
DC USA
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

Date: 4/8/12 1:08 PM

I have trouble with this style too. My solution is to wear a belt. If you have enough fabric, you can make a matching sash. It's not the same look, but without the belt I look like a sack of potatoes.

Note that you might need to add some length to the top for this, because cinching shortens the hemline a bit.
-- Edited on 4/8/12 1:08 PM --

------
http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com
=================
2007: purchased 115+, sewed 105+
So close to parity, yet so far

Trying again in 2008
Yards purchased: 133
Yards sewn: Somewhere around 95

2009? I give up

Lisa p
star
Lisa p  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 12/6/08
Send Message

In reply to nicegirl <<

Date: 4/8/12 1:14 PM

Quote: nicegirl
I have trouble with this style too. My solution is to wear a belt. If you have enough fabric, you can make a matching sash. It's not the same look, but without the belt I look like a sack of potatoes.

Note that you might need to add some length to the top for this, because cinching shortens the hemline a bit.
-- Edited on 4/8/12 1:08 PM --

Exactly what Nice girl said . I look 2 sizes bigger than I am if I dont have a waisted style on . I either resort to a belt or know I look bigger than I am. I like that pattern too but I didn't buy if because of these reasons.

------
Sewing Photos.
http://s550.photobucket.com/user/crazyfool1974/slideshow/2014%20sewing

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Clareew <<

Date: 4/8/12 1:52 PM

Thought I loved the pattern until I saw the last picture you posted on page three. Whoa - the saying around here is, 'If it doesn't look good on the model, there is no way that it will look good on me!'

Thank you many times over for posting that last picture on page three!
-- Edited on 4/9/12 6:59 PM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Ms. McCall
star
Ms. McCall  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CA
Member since 3/2/06
Send Message

Date: 4/8/12 1:58 PM

I think the top could suit you well, with two conditions: the belt is a great idea and would pull you in at the waist, then you should aim to have what ever's on the bottom continue the silhouette of going out from the waist, so some really wide leg trousers or a flouncy skirt. That way, your waist is the narrowest part of the overall line.

------
BrownPaperPattern.blogspot.com

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Clareew <<

Date: 4/8/12 2:16 PM

The v-neckline is whats great for you; it helps elongate your silhouette (as the neckline does in the pink top you are wearing).

Dress it up with a belt (self-fabric soft belt would be very pretty, imo) or wear it loose and be cool, comfy and collected as a cucumber.

So get sewing, girl!

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

JeanK

JeanK
Advanced
OR
Member since 2/15/04
Send Message

In reply to Clareew <<

Date: 4/8/12 2:31 PM

Shorten the length so that the blouse side seams end above your hips and angle the pattern in at the waistline. You can do this on the pattern tissue and try it on or make a sample out of inexpensive muslin or other fabric to check the length and side seam fit. If you still don't like the look, you can try pinning darts into the back and even the front before you make it out of your fashion fabric.

I agree that the V-neck would be great for you.

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 4/8/12 2:57 PM

I know what you mean. I really like that top. I just made a similar loose fitting top and it looks horrible on me. It it waiting for me to get some kind of inspiration of how to save it.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch <<

Date: 4/8/12 3:06 PM

About that back hem being too curved-
This weekend I went to downtown San Francisco. I snooped at the Theory shop in Union Square. They had unfitted tops like this with an interesting hem detail I find very slimming. The front is a gentle curve like this is. The back was cut considerably longer to cover the tush and the hem was squared off, not curved. It's a longer and leaner line that makes the transitions over all our curves more gradual. Plus if you want to belt it or add some elastic, you've still got length covering your behind.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Strong desire to make what I think may be unsuitable

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Sew Liberated Hideaway Play Tent

photo
by: julibet

Review
Simplicity 2367

photo
by: alazor529

Review
WhatNots

WhatNots

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Day Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl Day Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.