SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Best thread for heirloom embroidery on batiste ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Best thread for heirloom embroidery on batiste
Shelley2

Shelley2
Advanced
International CANADA
Member since 12/27/04
Send Message

Date: 4/8/12 11:37 PM

I sew for my porcelain dolls and want to use my new embroidery machine to embellish fabric for edgings, small motifs, etc. Regular sewing thread is too coarse, I have tried the usual polyester and rayon threads, but wonder if there is something that works well to create a more traditional heirloom effect that is fine. I have read about DMC 50 weight, but so far I can't find it anywhere in Canada. Any advice?

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Shelley2 <<

Date: 4/9/12 3:11 AM

I actually do use that 100% cotton DMC 50 weight two ply machine embroidery thread. Especially if sewing on cotton or linen and doing reproduction work and wanting a very nice smooth matt finish. Or doing something by machine, and just trying to make it look more hand done. It does say made in France on those spools. Maybe you can still get it from there, as I bet they still do actually make it. It is really nice, I especially like the varigated colors. I have not seen it sold in brick and motar stores in the USA, around me, for at least several years now, maybe even longer. What seemed like happened, is the stores that carried it, near me, decided to favor Sulky cotton instead and not sell both actually. Or that is what happened where I used to buy it from. I was sad about that, but all the left overs went on sale, and I bought most of them,so I have a years and years supply for myself now. Also check with machine cross stitchers as I know a lot of them, really liked that DMC Broder Machine thread too. I bet they may still know where to get it from maybe.

I don't think Sulky has any cotton machine embroidery thread quite as thin as 50 or 60 weight but maybe?

I like nice soft, bends very easy, extra skinny 60 weight 2 ply Rayon Embroidery thread for small and delicate things, and very detailed stuff too, only it's shiny and not a matt finish. You could also try that. I do think that is most times much more soft and bendable than 60 weight polyester, and it's natural fiber if you want natural fiber thread to go along with your natural fiber fabric maybe.

I think all of mine of that, is on big commercial cones though from Japan, but I think Madera still sells little spools of it.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Shelley2 <<

Date: 4/9/12 3:33 AM

If in a bind, and you just want something thin and soft, even though it's not really 2 ply and not really even made for embroidery at all, if you have already have a serger, and already have a bunch of nice matt thin smooth polyester serger thread, you could always try that for embroidery too, as a test, and see if you like it at all. I have done that occasionally. It does not have that exact same kind of nice smoother mercerized cotton finish on it though.

DonnaBT
DonnaBT  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
South Carolina USA
Member since 2/20/10
Send Message

Date: 4/9/12 6:45 AM

Here are two sites that carry the DMC 50 weight:

www.oldfashionedbaby.com
www.wendyschoen.com

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

Date: 4/9/12 11:12 AM

Other 60 wt cotton embroidery threads:
Presencia
Mettler

Both have a lovely bit of sheen.

------
Tess

"I am a degenerate art supply junkie" - Jane Davenport

lwatts
lwatts
Intermediate
Member since 4/5/12
Send Message

In reply to Shelley2 <<

Date: 4/12/12 9:13 AM

You will need to find a 50 weight thread, most will come on smaller spools. google to find on the internet. I use the 50 for doing very fine lettering on my Business Logo's, small needle and 50 WT should do fine for thin fabric such as the heirloom fabric.

------
Watts Embroidery
http://www.wattsemb.com

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Shelley2 <<

Date: 4/13/12 9:17 AM

The 50/2 DMC cotton is hard to find. The Mettler 60/2 cotton mach. embr. thread will work fine. Another one I really like (and you can buy it in those serger thread sized cones) is Aurifil 50/2 cotton. I have used it a lot on cotton batiste and it has a gorgeous look --- as nice as DMC. I just now Googled, and there are some Aurifil vendors online from Canada. Here in the U.S., it can be bought from redrockthreads.com in the 1400 yd spool. Allthatthread.com has it in the serger thread size cones but be warned... it is pricey and will last forever. I have bought from both vendors and my transactions were always very satisfactory.

------
iPad's auto-correct is my enema.

Shelley2

Shelley2
Advanced
International CANADA
Member since 12/27/04
Send Message

In reply to Shelley2 <<

Date: 4/17/12 2:44 PM

Thanks you all for t he excellent suggestions. I have found some in Canada, and am going to Michigan soon so hope I can find some there. I also found a new thread called invisifil which comes in a 100 weight and an 80 weight. It is very nice, but I think I would need to re-digitize some of the designs I have tried, or maybe just experiment with density changes. It is very delicate, and I think it also has promise.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Shelley2 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/18/12 5:20 AM

Most of the time, I do like to keep the bottom thread, a skinnier weight than the top, to help get that thicker top thread pulled down to the underside and wrong side of my fabric. That's not too hard to do, if your top thread is the most common 40 w or 50 weight kind of thread, because lots of bobbin fill is just maybe 60/80/90 weight thread, just anyways.

But if your top thread is a real supper skinny 80 or 100 weight, then if you have more normal bobbin thread underneath, now things have sort of gone in the opposite direction, and you probably have to start changing thread tensions a bit more. Unless you maybe use the same skinny 100 weight thread, for top and bottom?

You might find you don't really need to "redigitize" anything, of anyone's as in actually change the # of stitches or stitch density in someone else's pre-made up embroidery design by really going in there, with any kind of stitch processor and making more object oriented or global editable density changes in places or anything like that actually. Especially if you just instead leave all the same # of stitches in their designs, and even on just on all the same X/Y coordinates they put them on, if you instead just resize the whole design, by shrinking it down a bit in actual inches/mm size (using no stitch processor while doing that) for skinny thread, or enlarging it a bit, (also using no stitch processor while doing that) if wanting to use thicker threads.

That is how most times I choose to do it, and of course just sort of depending on the embroidery design each time, lots of times that actually works out pretty good. If not, only then would I ever spend painstaken hours trying to really re-work and change around someone else's design in those more other kind of ways at all. As maybe, by the time you had done that, you could have even just done it by scratch even instead. But just try it and see.

Also of course, just sort of depends on how you like things to look on different fabrics. And even feel when sewn out. I think a lot of embroidery designs from a lot of places are really made kind of way too bullet proof and dense sometimes anyway for just my personal preferences, so sometimes I will really sew them out at full physical size even, and just even use skinner thread, I kind of like 60 weight thread for that (not the common 40 weight thread they even used or thought I was going to use), just to even sort of counteract that kind of thing.

That sometimes works real nice for me and sometimes not, so of course you do have to test sew first. But maybe try that kind of thing first. It is a lot harder to find pre-made up embroidery designs, just made on purpose for real extra skinny thread and not the norm (the 40 weight stuff) most times. But you might not even need to, just sort of depending on how you o choose to do things, either. Especially since doll clothes are so much smaller than people's clothes and have such tiny areas on them to even embroider onto.

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Shelley2 <<

Date: 4/18/12 4:59 PM

FWIW, I had read on the internet (maybe Martha Pullen forum) that ME (machine embroidery) on the cotton/poly batiste, like Imperial, does not turn out nice. Naturally, I had to try it and find out for myself. It puckered a lot and was glad that was only an experiment.

Cotton batiste really MEs up beautifully.

------
iPad's auto-correct is my enema.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Best thread for heirloom embroidery on batiste

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Class Details

Online Class
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Class Details

Fusible Interfacing DVD

Fusible Interfacing DVD

More Info
Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

More Info
McCall's 5105

photo
by: LiZ

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.