SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Web site Talk > a lot of people never heard of PR ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
a lot of people never heard of PR
halleyscomet
starstarstar
halleyscomet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

Date: 4/9/12 11:21 AM

I have talked to several people at the Cleveland Expo and they had never heard of PatternReview.com. Even people working at Joann's. This really surprises me.

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to halleyscomet <<

Date: 4/9/12 11:59 AM

How did you first hear of it? Google search, word of mouth, link from another site?

I mention PR all the time in sewing environments, but first heard of it from the defunct Sewing World website.

Pattern Review has introduced me to other sewing sites, retailers and more. But I find I trust and following the advice given by posters a opposed to clicking on the advertisements.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
WY USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 4/9/12 12:12 PM

I was in a Jo Ann's store and mentioned PR to the sales person. The next time I went in she was all excited because she found a solution on PR to a sewing technique she needed right then. She will tell everyone about it. I am also surprised that so many sewaholics do not know about PR. I tell everyone I can.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

marjoriekh
star
marjoriekh  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 8/28/10
Send Message

Date: 4/9/12 12:15 PM

In my experience, if you have ever searched for a specific contemporary commercial garment pattern online, you'll pull up a PR link pretty close to the top of your search results. (This is not as consistently true with vintage patterns, though.)

I kept coming across PR pattern reviews this way. One day I decided to look around...

------
marjoriekh

SunnyAlta
SunnyAlta
Intermediate
Member since 7/11/10
Send Message

Date: 4/9/12 12:22 PM

Wish I knew of it when first started. Came across the site after searching for reviews of machines.

I do mention it to people, recently a mid 30's lady with 2 children.
Before that, someone who just retired.

Probably would have found it sooner if we didn't live within a reasonable distance of several fabric stores. Wasn't left with shopping online as the only option!

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

Date: 4/9/12 1:14 PM

I heard about it when I rejoined ASG in 2008 during a Neighborhood Group that was just getting started. I now mention it at just about every NG meeting I attend and when on the phone with a fellow sewist. Of course, DH has to listen to my ramblings of "all things PR" when I'm looking something up or relating the post I just made in answer to a question.

------
Judy

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

Date: 4/9/12 1:31 PM

I was at the Apple store in downtown San Francisco getting some questions resolved. The 20-something techie sales guy asked about how I use my iPhone and iPad. I told him about PR; he noted that his mom is an avid sewer and would tell her- also about Pattern File. I keep spreading the word.

I found PR via other Facebook sites I link to. Wow, overjoyed!

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

Date: 4/10/12 8:09 PM

It seems I have known about it so long I can't remember how I found it, maybe just a search.

There are many out there who sew but won't go anywhere near a computer, which personally I find amazing. That's just my opinion, though. I've know a hand full of excellent sewists, older grant you, who are highly skilled but intimidated by computers. So that may have something to do with it. Seems most of the people I know who sew know about PR.

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 4/10/12 9:06 PM

I think I did a search for a pattern review and found this site. For a little while I just used it for pattern reviews. Then I found the boards portion and am hooked! Now I am starting to investigate other areas, like Website reviews too.

This is an invaluable group of seamstresses and wonderful, helpful people!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

Re Becca
starstar
Re Becca  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 9/12/05
Send Message

In reply to solosmocker <<

Date: 4/10/12 9:10 PM

I am amazed at how many people both sew and have computers but wouldn't think to put the two together and sew better through their computers.
I found this wonderland by searching for different patterns and kept landing here. I don't even think we used Google back then. In other words, PR has outlived Yahoo, Earthlink and several other internet companies.

------
http://beccabeckstuff.blogspot.com/

Damn the muslin, full speed ahead!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Web site Talk >> a lot of people never heard of PR

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 04-2008-116

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Sewing Workshop Salsa Blouse Pattern

Sewing Workshop Salsa Blouse Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things Little Smartie Pants Pattern

Favorite Things Little Smartie Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Simplicity 5695

photo
by: Fairworthy

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.