SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Miscellaneous > Need new laptop, Mac or PC? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Need new laptop, Mac or PC?
One that I won't want to shoot in 2 years
Re Becca
starstar
Re Becca  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/12/05
online now
Send Message

Date: 4/10/12 2:11 PM

My old laptop, which shall remain nameless (D3!!) needs to be replaced. the battery crapped out a while ago, now the number keys only work semi-occasionally.

I don't need something really fancy, but I would like to get something that will still be good in 2 years. Dell's seem to be the Walmart of computers, but I am tired of having to get them fixed so I am considering a Mac Pro. Most of the people that I meet who have Mac's love them. I mean really love them, in a long term relationship kind of way.

I was in Microcenter over the weekend and in the 45 minutes that I was hanging out in the Apple section the only service problems that I saw were much MUCH more minor than the problems that people were having in the PC section. In fact, one guy had a 6 year old Mac and just wanted to upgrade the memory. From what I have observed, Mac users seemed to have lower blood pressure overall.

But, they are more expensive (what $ do you put on piece of mind) and being an accountant, Windows Office would be an add-on.

Do you guys really love your Mac's, or should I stick with PC?

------
http://beccabeckstuff.blogspot.com/

Damn the muslin, full speed ahead!

Leslie in Austin
starstarstarstar
Leslie in Austin  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 1/30/03
PR Weekend Coordinator
Send Message

Date: 4/10/12 2:19 PM

It's going to sound silly, but the biggest deciding point for me, Becki, was keyboard feel. I simply couldn't deal with the Mac book keyboard. I tried several different brands and felt best with the Fujitsui keyboard, then spec'ed the rest out to my needs.

------
Leslie

A Beginners Needle
star
A Beginners Needle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 9/3/09
Send Message

In reply to Re Becca <<

Date: 4/10/12 2:59 PM

So I hate my current laptop as well. I have a Dell I think (hmm.. I like your description of it being the walmart of laptops! so true!) and it freezes on me all the time. Arg.

Anyway - about Macs. I bought a Macbook before my current laptop. It still runs great (I do think it needs a new battery, but that's minor), but I never bonded with it. Having used a PC, I could never figure out how to insall things - and when I finally got something installed, I never knew how I got there to get there again. It's supposed to be easier to use, but I found it much more fustrating to use! I don't know if things have changed now, but I also had trouble finding software that was made for Mac that was up to the same level as with Windows. (For example, quicken - there were things that I could do in windows that for whatever reason that functionality wans't there with the Mac - again, this could have changed in the 5 years since I bought the Macbook).

So my overall suggestion is go to a Mac store and play with one of their mac books for a while. Look at the software you normally use - is it available for the Mac? If so, does it have the same features on the Mac as it does for the PC? Are you ok with the different interface that the software has? Will you get frustrated if the keyboard shortcuts you normally use are different on the Mac? (they can be).

I still use mine to manage my iTunes account - but that's it. My PC could do that, but I'm not ready to transfer all those files yet. If I get a new laptop to replace my likes to freeze for no reason laptop, I'll probably migrate all of it over. Just not ready to shell out any money for a new one yet.

------
Tina

In my Sewing Room:
Pfaff Creative Performance - Pfurple!
Juki F600
Brother PRW420
Juki 735 Serger

NM gal
NM gal
Beginner
Member since 5/27/09
Send Message

Date: 4/10/12 4:07 PM

Just the opposite here. My Mac died & replaced it w/ a PC. Can't stand the keyboard & it's a longer process to cut & paste on a PC. A breeze on a Mac.
I'm not going the cheaper route again w/ computers... that's why I didn't get another Mac. Stupid.

michellep74
starstarstar
michellep74  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA
Member since 7/19/07
Send Message

Date: 4/10/12 4:17 PM

I'm on my third Mac laptop. They typically last me 4-5 years before needing to be replaced.

For me, they've been well-worth the extra money for their reliability/lack of headaches. My last PC only lasted 2 years. My husband had a Dell laptop that only lasted him 18 months.

Edit: If you need Windows-only software, you can install Bootcamp or VMWare on your Mac, which will give you the best of both worlds. (This is the setup that I have for my work laptop--a TOL Macbook Pro.)

-- Edited on 4/10/12 4:19 PM --

------
--Michelle

Blog: http://happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com/

2014 Fabric IN: 153.13 yards
2014 Fabric OUT: 88 yards
2014 Fabric Sewn: 38 yards
2014 Fabric Donated: 50 yards
pre-2014 Stash patterns used in 2014: 7

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 4/10/12 4:47 PM

Mac.

MAC!

MAAAAAC!

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

Date: 4/10/12 4:53 PM

Either a Mac or a Lenovo or an Asus. Lenovo and Asus are the best Windows running PCs out there - Lenovo was IBM PC and Asus has made hardware for years. For me, hardware build is the key, and software runs better on terrific hardware. You can buy more software and glitz, but you get hardware that is well built and you are happy for longer. As they say "Buy the best and only cry once."

MHO (but you can read the techie sites and get a feel for this as well).

I like both Macs and WinPCs and each has points. I have a Mac at home, not a laptop,and I like it, but there are things about Apple I do not care for, and things about Microsoft that I do care for, so there are trade-offs.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
UT USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

Date: 4/10/12 6:35 PM

depending on how you use it, one should always think of a laptop as a relatively short term investment. Regardless of the brand, they may not last more than a few years, and how long they last may have more to do with how you use it than the brand..... for example, did you know that you shouldn't move a lap top unless it's shut down? Easy to damage the hard drive if you pick the machine up while the hard drive is engaged. Also, the life of your battery is shortened if you leave it plugged in and completely charged all the time.... Just some thoughts.....
-- Edited on 4/10/12 6:40 PM --

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Re Becca <<

Date: 4/10/12 8:18 PM

Since you need to run accounting software I would suggest another PC. You will have fewer headaches getting it to run on a PC. Yes you can use Parallels, but it does not allow you to choose how the resources get divided.

Also more MAC keyboard do not include the numeric keypad on the right. Once again you can get a USB one to set beside the keyboard, but if you are used to it being part of the keyboard that will drive you nuts.

I used an HP for 6 years to run Simply Accounting and loved it. It finally gave up the ghost (thanks to the kids) and has been replaced by a Toshiba. I am not as happy with it the Zero on the numeric keypad is touchy and the S has started to act up. This is after only 5 months of light use.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to kkkkaty <<

Date: 4/10/12 8:34 PM

Everyone has different experiences. I always leave my laptop plugged in and my previous one lasted over five years.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Need new laptop, Mac or PC?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

McCall's 9559

photo
by: Peter in N...

Review
TROUSER DRAFT - A CD book by Kenneth King

TROUSER DRAFT - A CD book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Learn to Sew a Shirt or Blouse DVD

Learn to Sew a Shirt or Blouse DVD

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.