SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fitting Woes > Sorbetto Tank Top sizes? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sorbetto Tank Top sizes?
Can bust determine it all?
HDWen
star
HDWen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Arizona USA
Member since 12/26/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/10/12 3:34 PM

Had a nice visit from my mom and dad yesterday Except -- Mom wants a nice skirt made to fit her (ok I think I can with no pattern)... Was looking at the Reviews of the Sorbetto Tank Top and thought this would be good with her new skirt -- But if I only get her bust measurement would that work on this pattern?

Does it run to size pretty good? My mom is a largish, square shaped woman 46 waist, 50 hips - will know later today bust but basically square.

Wondering how the Sorbetto top sizes run - big, small etc. If you've made it THANKS for help!! :-)

------
I have a great enthusium for sewing, but lack talent to be great.

Deepika
starstarstarstar
Deepika  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 11/28/01
Founder
online now
Send Message

In reply to HDWen <<

Date: 4/10/12 4:02 PM

60 Reviews of Sorbetto!

I've made it too. I think it runs true to size. The bust darts may need to be modified. Make a muslin first.

------
- Deepika
Founder, PatternReview.com
Blog: http://www.deepikablogs.com

wenznz
star
wenznz  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 7/8/11
Send Message

Date: 4/10/12 5:40 PM

I would say it (and most Colette patterns) run fairly true to size. They are also drafted for a C/D cup, so keep that in mind if you plan to do a FBA, as I got caught out on my first try of it.

You will find that most reviewers have added length though, as it is quite short as drafted. As an example, I'm a reasonably proportioned 5'2", and I think I added another 3" to mine
-- Edited on 4/10/12 5:43 PM --

------
Wendy
Wellington, New Zealand

HDWen
star
HDWen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Arizona USA
Member since 12/26/11
Send Message

Date: 4/10/12 5:58 PM

Thank you thank you thank you all!!

working on her 3 skirts (one being to wear under the thin cotton skirts) and trying to draft what she wants - Really wanted to go the easier way with a great tried and true pattern like this Sorbetto Top! Good to know about the length but mostly true to sizing.

Thanks this will make her Mother's Day extra special

------

HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

Date: 4/11/12 4:03 PM

I futzed around with this for a while last year. I made it straight from the pattern the first time based on bust measurement and it seemed like it needed an FBA, plus the neck and underarm seams gaped. So I tried it again in a smaller size in the shoulders but with an FBA, and it didn't really work either. Something about those changes ruined the line of the top. I think as drafted the neck opening is meant to be a bit wider than the usual tank top. I actually prefer the first version I made and wear it around the house sometimes, but the other one went into the scrap bag.

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 4/11/12 8:21 PM

An additional thought is to check the reviews for someone with a similar body type. I do that when checking patterns for myself.

Mobycat

Mobycat  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/19/07
Send Message

Date: 4/11/12 10:29 PM

I made my first one today and was very impressed with the fit of my finished tank top. I went by the bust measurement to make size 18. This is the best free pattern ever. Next time I will add probably 2-3" to the length.

------
Charlene

meleliza
star
meleliza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/4/11
Send Message

Date: 4/13/12 12:07 PM

Colette patterns are drafted for a C cup. I made one last summer based on my high bust and added an fba. It worked fine. Sinc ethics isn't fitted, the sizing isn't as crucial. I have had more trouble with her fitted patterns.

------
Melanie

HDWen
star
HDWen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Arizona USA
Member since 12/26/11
Send Message

Date: 4/30/12 5:25 PM

Thank you all! Instead of tearing apart the Perfect one I made her -- by that I mean my top stitching never went better I've tried the slash/spread method and don't think this pattern should be deviated as much as my mother needs :-(

To take in 1" at the armholes, but ADD 2" to each side... the muslin comes out very weird looking, think I'll try a different top in a size 20+

I made a 4 by the bust size, and like the fit of the neckline and arms, did adjust my bust darts cuz I dont make a "b" put together But I like it enough to wear it!! Will make a size 6 next time and really take in the bust, but what a great free pattern!

Thanks to everyone

------

Cerisa
Cerisa
Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 8/26/08
Send Message

Date: 4/30/12 5:48 PM

It is a great pattern. Bust true to size if you are a c cup, but the darts needed moving. It does need extra length and I have made it with sleeves and without. The bias can be varied by having it outside or inside the garment and an inverted pleat also looks good and provides extra breeziness for hot weather. The next change I am going to make is to cut two backs and shape the seam line to make it more fitted. It is a terrific learning pattern IMHO.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Sorbetto Tank Top sizes?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Online Class
Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Class Details

Simplicity 9107

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
Dixie DIY Hot Cocoa Sweater

photo
by: Lisa Gaska...

Review
Christine Jonson Travel Trio Two

Christine Jonson Travel Trio Two

More Info
Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.