SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Scant 1/4 Inch... ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Scant 1/4 Inch...
...on a Machine Without an Adjustable Needle?
aliann1
aliann1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CO USA
Member since 12/8/07
Send Message

Date: 4/11/12 7:35 PM

I've mostly been a garment sewist, but recently took a beginning quilt class where we made two quilt squares.

The teacher told us it's better to sew a scant 1/4 inch seam instead of a 1/4 inch seam when piecing blocks. The machines we used in class allowed the teacher to slightly adjust the needle position to the right to get a good scant 1/4 inch seam.

So, my question is, how do most people sew a scant 1/4 inch seam on machines where the needle isn't adjustable? I did Google this and see that some people use blue painting tape on the machine bed leading up to the needle to mark the scant 1/4 inch position.

I'm also wondering, since there are many 1/4 inch feet available, if some people simply use that foot and just do not butt the fabric all the way to the flange on the foot.

Just wondering what others do.

Thanks everyone.

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
MA USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to aliann1 <<

Date: 4/11/12 7:39 PM

I too have a non adjustable needle. I have a tape on my machine I use to line up fabric before it hits the presser foot and after it passes through- just helps me keep it straight. On my presser foot I used a permanent marker to draw the line for 1/4" and I keep the edges just to the left of it.

If I'm not doing intricate piecing I use my 1/4" foot for all seams and it always works out. I think the major key is to use the same size seam all the time.

On really intricate patterns I also use the thinnest thread I can to sew. That way it doesn't add to the width of the seam.

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 4/11/12 9:23 PM

When I had a non-adjustable needle I used tape as a marker too.

------
Cathryn

aliann1
aliann1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CO USA
Member since 12/8/07
Send Message

Date: 4/11/12 10:22 PM

Thanks for your responses. I might go with the tape idea, but I'd love to hear if anyone has other ideas.

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to aliann1 <<

Date: 4/11/12 10:41 PM

I use a seam guide often instead of my foot. I also use this tool to figure out where a scant 1/4 inch really resides--especially helpful if I'm changing sewing machines during the project:

http://softexpressions.com/software/notions/PerPiecSG.php

If I don't have a Seam guide available for the machine I'm using then I stick one of these removable vinyl markers to use as a guide. I prefer it to tape because it is thicker and gives me an edge to butt up my fabric. I'm personally not accurate without tools.

http://www.softexpressions.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CQMEASE&Product_Code=02DS&Category_Code=

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

Date: 4/11/12 10:56 PM

Do the quarter inch feet specifically for quilting use the scant quarter inch or a regular quarter inch? I tested my quarter inch foot on an index card and it's exactly a quarter inch.

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

aliann1
aliann1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CO USA
Member since 12/8/07
Send Message

In reply to Sonoma33 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/11/12 11:00 PM

Thanks Sonoma33.

I think I'm going to order these items.

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to jannw <<

Date: 4/11/12 11:07 PM

Depends on the foot and brand. For my featherweight I have a 1/4 foot and a scant 1/4 foot. I have to be very careful which one I grab to use if I'm not using a seam guide. I generally use some sort of guide.
-- Edited on 4/11/12 11:08 PM --

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

aliann1
aliann1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CO USA
Member since 12/8/07
Send Message

In reply to Sonoma33 <<

Date: 4/12/12 7:49 AM

Hi Sonoma33.

Do you remember where you got the scant 1/4 inch foot for your featherweight? I don't have a featherweight, but I'm wondering if they have them for other machines.

cinca
cinca
Member since 4/27/11
Send Message

Date: 4/12/12 9:06 PM

I like that plastic stick-on seam guide, too. We used to use a bolt-on guide if we were doing hundreds of the same seam, or sometimes just a rectangular magnet. I have used tape as well.

With the plastic stick-on guide you can use it on a machine with plastic parts and you don't have to take the time to bolt it on.

I vote for that one.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Scant 1/4 Inch...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Christine Jonson Straight Shirt

Christine Jonson Straight Shirt

Buy Now
THE MOULAGE - A CD book by Kenneth King

THE MOULAGE - A CD book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Vogue Patterns 8669

photo
by: CissieW

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.