SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Some info on the Bernina 580E ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Some info on the Bernina 580E
what I learned today
seaside sewer
seaside sewer
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 6/23/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/13/12 2:20 PM

I expect I am the last to know this [uusually am] but, in my quest for more information about sewing/embroidery combos, I had emailed Bogod [Bernina UK] with some questions. Today I got a call from a lovely lady called Jane, who told me that -
As top of the 5 series the 580E is made entirely in Switzerland. The 530 and 550 component parts are made in Switzerland, but constructed in Thailand.
The 580E has a resume function if you should lose power when embroidering. [ hany here in Scotland for the power outages] When you switch the machine back on, it asks if you want to continue or not.
All my Aurora feet will fit, but the machine will automatically switch to 5.5mm stitch width for safety. The BSR from my 440 will automatically update when connected to the 580E, but will continue to work on the Aurora. I won't need additional software to manipulate designs [unless I want to buy it, of course]
Like I said, I guess you who are interested in the 5 series may know this anyway, but I certainly didn't, so am sharing, just in case

------
Bernina sewing machines 750, 440, 215, 1008. Bernina overlocker/serger 1150MDA
Pfaff Creative Performance
Janome embellisher
Singer featherweight 221K white
Frister and Rossmann Cub 7

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 4/13/12 2:49 PM

Interesting. Does it automatically limit stitch width if non-coded feet like those from the 440 are put on, or only if you tell it which foot? On my 820, even when I put on a coded foot, it gives me a short list of possible feet to choose from, and I confirm which it is. Just curious, the 820 is my be-all-end-all 9mm machine.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to seaside sewer <<

Date: 4/13/12 3:20 PM

This is good information for those interested in the 580E. The 830 will recognize if you put a 5.5 or coded foot on. You need to tell it the foot number because it will not read that. It will automatically switch the stitch width to 5.5mm if a non-coded foot is put on. It will also resume embroidery if shut off just like the 580E.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 4/13/12 3:27 PM

Only "coded" feet will go 9mm. Safety function. Have you ever been sewing with a coded foot and fabric flips up to block the "eye"? The machine will change to 5.5mm for a split second until the fabric is moved.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to threaddy <<

Date: 4/13/12 3:31 PM

I really like this safety feature. Same with the stitch plate, if I remember to tell my 830 which plate/foot I have on.

------
~Diana~

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 4/13/12 4:11 PM

Didn't realize that!

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

seaside sewer
seaside sewer
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 6/23/09
Send Message

In reply to Maia B <<

Date: 4/13/12 5:08 PM

according to Jane, if the machine doesn't find the 'sensor' which is on the C feet, it automatically limits the stitch width.

------
Bernina sewing machines 750, 440, 215, 1008. Bernina overlocker/serger 1150MDA
Pfaff Creative Performance
Janome embellisher
Singer featherweight 221K white
Frister and Rossmann Cub 7

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 4/13/12 5:43 PM

So, how does it handle the sensors on foot 13 and foot 35?

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to andye <<

Date: 4/13/12 6:02 PM

Good question. Whatever is in the glass on on the foot tells the sensor what type of foot it is. I assume it will read it as 9mm since you can only straight stitch with those two feet. I could be wrong and it reads it as 5.5mm. I don't have a sensor on my #35 to test it.

When I put my feet on, my 830 knows its a "C" or "D" foot or "non-coded". When I press the picture of the foot in the top left corner, it will bring up a menu with either "C", "D" or "non-coded" feet and I choose the icon of which foot. For instance, when I put my #37D foot on and press the icon, it will automatically show in my sew out area (in blue) that I can only do a straight stitch. The rest is grayed out.

------
~Diana~

Artsewer
Artsewer  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 3/2/11
Send Message

In reply to seaside sewer <<

Date: 4/13/12 6:02 PM

My 1630 also a 9mm stitch machine also did this. If you had the non coded foot it would not sew over the 5.5 mm width. Good thing because I am very forgetful when it comes to things like that.
I loved the 580 when I tried it. Thank for sharing your information.

------
Bernina 750Q, 635E, 380, 1630
Serger 1100DC

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Some info on the Bernina 580E

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 37509-1005

photo
by: Mufffet

Review
Victoria Jones Collection Men's Hawaiian Aloha Shirt

Victoria Jones Collection Men's Hawaiian Aloha Shirt

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection Happi Coat & Hanten (230)

Victoria Jones Collection Happi Coat & Hanten (230)

Buy Now
Other Dressmaking with Liberty

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.