SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > cotton knit fabric ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
cotton knit fabric
ironing the ends flat
lvs2sew
lvs2sew
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 4/25/09
Send Message

Date: 4/16/12 2:33 AM

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for ironing knit fabric? I've so much trouble with the sides/ends of the fabric it wont iron flat it keeps curling and its a pain due to that much of the fabric cant be used. If anyone can give me some pointers on how to iron knit fabric flat would be great. thanks so much

------
"My husband said if I buy any more (fabric) he would leave me - I'll miss him."

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 4/16/12 12:04 PM

Jerseys are the knits that curl. I use lots of plain old spray starch and the iron to help with the curling edges.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 4/16/12 12:40 PM

If the selvedge is super curly and bunchy I cut it off. Is the edge is curly I put some weights on it. I don't think ironing is neccessary.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MI USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 4/16/12 1:13 PM

Ironing won't help, but starching it will- you can use the canned spray starch or the Arrowhead (or something similar- it's sold in a bright yellow tub) corn starch has a recipe on the side of the tub to make your own.

marjoriekh
star
marjoriekh  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 8/28/10
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh <<

Date: 4/16/12 1:19 PM

I find that with cotton jerseys (single knits) that curl, ironing tends to make it curl more, at least for me.

If you are cutting your curling jersey in a double layer, pinning the edges together, with the pins perpendicular to the edge, can help in the cutting stage. (As can using lots of pins perpendicular to the seamline when sewing.)

Haven't tried starch -- but must get some, since I also have some georgette and some rayon challis that I've read starch will help stabilize for cutting.

Another thing I haven't tried, but that has occurred to me, is to machine baste the folded length of fabric together before pre-washing any knit that has a tendency to curl. (The curling is often much worse after pre-teating.) I could baste both selvedge and cut edges together, using two rows of stitching 1/2 inch apart, being careful that my fold is on-grain. Then it's possible, depending on what effect any shrinkage has, that I could just cut from the basted, folded fabric later without removing the basting.

------
marjoriekh

simplystitches
simplystitches
NY USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

Date: 4/16/12 2:05 PM

Starch it to control the curl before cutting and as soon as you finish cutting out your garment starch the edges of the cut pieces again. The cross grain is usually the worst and if it's curling now it will definately curl when cut! Starch right side up or else you'll be fighting it wanting to curl under on the edges.

Starching is a bit of a pain but it has benefits. It makes it easier to cut and if you starch the cut pieces it stabilizes the edges and gives the fabric a bit of body and makes it easier to sew IMHO.

Debbie

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 4/16/12 2:19 PM

Great tips about starching these sometimes difficult knits, Debbie!

lvs2sew
lvs2sew
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 4/25/09
Send Message

Date: 4/17/12 3:02 AM

Thank you everyone for the tips I will diffidently get a can of starch and give that a try heck anything is worth trying :)

------
"My husband said if I buy any more (fabric) he would leave me - I'll miss him."

Mrs4Him
star
Mrs4Him  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MO
Member since 7/19/09
Send Message

In reply to diane s <<

Date: 4/17/12 11:01 AM

I've never used spray starch and a little nervous to do so. Does it leave any kind of stain on the fabric?--I would think it wouldn't seeing that lots of people use it. How does it spray out--land on the fabric like a liquid sort of?

------
Sewing/Embroidery: Baby Lock Ellure Plus * Sewing: Kenmore 385.1764180 * Sewing: Kenmore 385.17124 * Sewing: Vintage-Singer 115 * Serger: Baby Lock Evolve
><>

marjoriekh
star
marjoriekh  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 8/28/10
Send Message

In reply to Mrs4Him <<

Date: 4/17/12 11:06 AM

Mrs4Him, I've just been asking about it here, since I've been a little nervous about it, too. Lots of tips are pouring in.

I understand it washes out of washable fabrics. I think you do have to be somewhat careful not to scorch it, though.

------
marjoriekh

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> cotton knit fabric

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Butterick 4466

photo
by: twotoast

Review
Patrones Magazine 303-23

photo
by: Mikgirl

Review
You Sew Girl Kids Hats Pattern

You Sew Girl Kids Hats Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby "I Can Do It" Cloth Activity Book Pattern

SewBaby

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.