Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Miscellaneous > Sewing memories--favorite items made for you ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sewing memories--favorite items made for you
Grandma, mother, aunt --loved you enough to make...
LuceLu
star
LuceLu  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NY USA
Member since 8/4/06
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 4/16/12 10:39 AM

I thought it would be nice to reminisce about projects our mothers, grandmothers, aunts (or even male family members if they sewed) made for us. I bet there are some great stories and maybe even pictures. These items may have inspired us to learn to sew. Share!

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA
Member since 12/30/11

Going to PR Weekend Austin!

Date: 4/16/12 12:13 PM

Oh lovely, lovely. This resonates with me especially as yesterday I went through a cigar box of sewing notions my mom gave me. In it I found the best treasure of all- my bubby Roses's silver thimble. The kind with the open tip. That thing was so worn with hours of hand work. I can see her hands, gnarled knuckles from arthritis, but she kept on creating. In her mid-eighties, the last thing she made for herself was a black velvet smoking jacket with antique jet buttons. She wore it on NY's Eve. No granny shoes for her; she was one chic woman.

More later, off to tackle my dress in a tricky fabric and fit. Probably wouldn't have the inner fortitude and enthusiasm to take it on without my bubby.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom
PA USA
Member since 11/30/04

Date: 4/16/12 1:40 PM

Believe it or not...nothing! Absolutely nothing. My paternal grandmother was an awesome seamstress, but we moved away when I was 4 or 5, before she could teach me. I don't recall her making anything for us either. My mom could sew, but she had zero interest in it. She sewed what she had to, like draperies or placemats. She made an occasional top for herself, but my skills surpassed hers when I was a high school freshman lol. I had to drag her along so I could take an Adult Ed night class in sewing at the local Vo-tech school when I was a sophomore. We had to share a machine in the class, but she was more than willing to let me use it to work on my projects before hers. Like I said, she had zero interest, no passion for sewing.

My oldest sister and I were the ones born with the sewing gene coming from my father's side. We were born to sit in front of a sewing machine. If there were any sewing projects being given to anyone in our family, it was made by my oldest sister or me given to our mother.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing/Embroidery Combo Machine: Janome MC15000. Sewing Machines: Elna 740, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07

Date: 4/16/12 1:57 PM

My favorite item was a yellow floral sunbonnet made by my paternal grandmother. I wore it when I watched "Little House on the Prairie". I was probably 10 at the time. I still have that sunbonnet!

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
WI USA
Member since 3/8/10

Date: 4/16/12 3:11 PM

My Dad worked 2 jobs ... 3 jobs if you count working his vacation every year too. ... Dad made some doll clothes for me & also took the time to mend jeans sometimes. Dad was by no means a seamstress but him taking the time to do what he could when I was small meant allot to me.

One Christmas my Grandma made Chatty Cathy a night gown & robe for me for a gift. She was a very good sewer. Even color blind she could really pick out nice fabrics & such. She made some of my school clothes & made summer tops for all us girls... cousins & I.
-- Edited on 4/16/12 5:14 PM --

------
Finally a whole week above zero! Whoo hoo! ~smile~
2 shots in DH eye down, 1 more to go. We hope the tumor is shrinking.
God is with us no matter what ...+

RMJ
star
RMJ  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 12/14/06

Date: 4/16/12 3:16 PM

My maternal grandmother didn't do much sewing when I knew her, but she made a dress for my Kewpie doll from scraps that she had. I still have the doll and dress. It is silk with puffed sleeves, a velvet ribbon around the waist, and a petticoat underneath with a lace edge. A lot of it was sewn by hand.

Larisa
starstarstar
Larisa
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 7/15/05

Date: 4/16/12 9:19 PM

I still have a blanket/quilt that my Nanny made for me....she used another quilt as the "batting" and it's lasted "forever"....I also had a little blanket made of 1 layer of the same fabric and hemmed....it's white with little blue duckies in raincoats holding umbrellas...too cute! My daughter now has them, and has been told to be very careful with them as they are as old as her momma...lol

------
research associate in the field of child development, married to an engineer

I am woman, I am invincible, I...am...TIRED!!

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 10/27/10

Date: 4/17/12 0:57 AM

SewBusy, that bonnet sounds like a treasure! I loved Little House. My grandmother was a master knitter, especially cables. I have three of her very complex afgans: burgundy, blue, white. She also taught me to sew, and I've inherited her knitting and sewing things. Those things are so precious to me. She helped me encase my pink comforter that was worn through and stained with Triaminic, in a prequilted fabric of bright pastel bunnies on a yellow field. She helped me make outfits for my stuffed animals out of scraps. She also knit a moss green baby blanket for my first child, which was clearly difficult for her. I think it's the last thing she made. She knitted for the war effort, and my baby :D. My has only made me a few things, but she provided me with a designated sewing space, machine, and iron, even when we had very little. She made her own maternity clothes, and she quilts some now. I hope my sons and (God willing) future grandchildren carry on.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

petro
starstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
FRANCE
Member since 6/24/07

Date: 4/17/12 2:24 AM

This patchwork
has many pieces from the dresses my mother made us, the red and pale green gingham is one.
This pattern
is one she used a few times to make them.
My favourite one, pieces in the patchwork I wrote about here
http://sewing.patternreview.com/review/pattern/73866
had small sweet pea flower print and the all important twirly circle skirt.
My grandmother who sewed the patchwork, made us lots of knitted garments. When mini skirts came in fashion, first time round, She knitted me lace stockings in black wool. The physiotherapist I had as a small child made me a green silk dress when I was cured.
I think being given scraps to make dolls clothes with and being praised out of proportion to the results, and being bought a toy machine and later allowed to use a hand crank machine was a big help though. As was being allowed to raid the small collection of old furnishings and fabric oddments.

LuceLu
star
LuceLu  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NY USA
Member since 8/4/06

Date: 4/17/12 8:58 AM

My grandmother made me a set of yellow print pjs out of bed sheets and crocheted a skating outfit for my Barbie. My mother hand smocked a dress for me (firstborn), and made little outfits when I was a toddler. I also remember halter tops in the 1970s. She could crochet too and made an afghan although that is long gone but she stopped as she had to work 2 jobs after my parents divorced. My grandma on her side... I remember her clothes she made. I think she also made some maternity clothes when she was pregnant with my sister in the early seventies. She said she learned how to sew from her mother who was an amazing seamstress (she would just cut a coat out of a wool blanket for my mother) but she said she could never get it to look right and would get frustrated. I know my stepsisters both made dresses for themselves for prom.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Sewing memories--favorite items made for you

Merchants on PR
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Online Sewing Classes
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Kwik Sew 3105
photo
Review by Kath in ON on 6/2/08
Read Review

Jamie Christina Miz Mozelle Dress Pattern (JC313MD)
Jamie Christina Miz Mozelle Dress Pattern (JC313MD)

Details
Price: $14.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

ADVANCED SLEEVE - A CD Book by Kenneth King
ADVANCED SLEEVE - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Details
Price: $24.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Blank Slate Little Bow Pleat Dress Digital Pattern
Blank Slate Little Bow Pleat Dress Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Music Box Jumper Digital Pattern (Size 5-12)
Oliver + S Music Box Jumper Digital Pattern (Size 5-12)

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Serendipity Studio SDG-104 Emaline Skirt
photo
Review by brissmith on 6/6/13
Read Review

Butterick 4593 Pattern ( Size 12-14-16 )
Butterick 4593 Pattern ( Size 12-14-16 )

Details
Price: $11.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 9014 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )
Vogue 9014 Pattern ( Size 14-16-18-20-22 )

Details
Price: $25.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN