SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > I don't know why I was so afraid of installing a zipper! ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I don't know why I was so afraid of installing a zipper!
I did it! I installed a zipper
isakswings
star
isakswings
Advanced Beginner
Utah USA
Member since 8/22/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/19/12 10:49 PM

I have avoided installing a zipper. I was terrified of it actually. I've had a skirt pattern sitting in my sewing room for 6 months. When I boughIt the pattern, I did not realize it required a zipper. Now that I am no longer afraid of zippers, I may attempt to make that skirt this weekend.

The funny thing is, I have been installing elastic on skating dresses for over 2 years. Elastic is SO much harder to install then a zipper! I need to practice a bit more before doing it on a skirt, but I am no longer afraid to do it!

------
I'm fairly new to sewing but I am finding it to be fun and rewarding!

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to isakswings <<

Date: 4/19/12 11:05 PM

Good for you!I know how you feel. But then you learn and it isn't hard at all. Zippers are easier than making 4 or 6 buttonholes and sewing on all those buttons anyway. ;)

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

isakswings
star
isakswings
Advanced Beginner
Utah USA
Member since 8/22/08
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 4/19/12 11:22 PM

Funny thing is, I haven't attempted a button hole either!! Snaps and Velcro and now a zipper. Buttons don't scare me, I just haven't ever made a button hole. LOL! I just haven't had a reason to install one!

------

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 4/19/12 11:27 PM

I'm living proof that it does easier. My first zipper took an hour, the second 20 minutes; now I can apply them very quickly. Yes they are easier than buttonholes, but try them as eventually you will run into a needed buttonhole, and not just for buttons, but also as an opening for a cord to go through in p-j's as an example.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

isakswings
star
isakswings
Advanced Beginner
Utah USA
Member since 8/22/08
Send Message

In reply to GlButterfly <<

Date: 4/20/12 1:23 AM

Oddly enough, it took me maybe 15 minutes to install the zipper! It is not perfect, but it is in. It is my practice fabric, but I was so darn proud of myself!

Button holes are another thing I want to practice. Piping is the other one. I used to be afraid of sewing on trim. However, when my daughter skated to "Colors of the Wind" I made her a Pocahontas style skating dress and used turquoise ric rac to trim the fringe. I am no longer afraid of adding trim!

------

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 4/20/12 3:31 AM

The excitement is coming through in your post! Good for you.

I'm still afraid of welt pockets, but some day....

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

Vicsguy
star
Vicsguy
Advanced Beginner
Ohio USA
Member since 5/17/09
Send Message

Date: 4/20/12 8:42 AM

Invisible zippers are even easier!

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/20/12 9:15 AM

Now you have POWER!

j.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/20/12 12:25 PM

Good for you! The ceiling is no longer a limit!

I do not suffer from the fear of sewing techniques, I just read, watch and test until I am happy. However, I have to share a Janet Pray (Islander Method) demo for a slot zipper that I just watched on It's Sew Easy.

I was going to post the site for instructions, but found neither the PDF nor the Island Method book include a few points I thought important.

What was missing? Interfacing the seam where the zipper will be sewn and markings for the stops.

The demo began with placing a mark 1/8" below the waistband seam line for the top zipper stop and at the bottom zipper stop.

Then she placed iron-on tricot interfacing (3/4") on the seam allowance from the top to the bottom of where the zipper would be placed; stitched the seam allowance from the bottom stop marking to the hem.

Pressed the seam open from the hem to the waist although from the bottom mark to the waistband there was no stitching or basing.

She then chalk marked 1/4" - 3/8" from the waist down to the bottom mark, across and back up to the waist.

Then she placed the open zipper with the teeth just inside the fold of the "seam" and top stitched as she held everything together with her fingers - definitely the Islander Method - no basting, no pins.

My ramblings do not do this demo justice. If you get a chance to watch, it was on It's Sew Easy, program 103. It is worth recording and watching once or twice!

They claim to add a "new" video to watch online each Friday. Check out the video or check TV listings if interested here.

-- Edited on 4/20/12 2:29 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to Vicsguy <<

Date: 4/20/12 1:26 PM

Vicsguy, invisible zippers are easy? Can you recommend an online tutorial?

j.

-- Edited on 4/20/12 3:27 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> I don't know why I was so afraid of installing a zipper!

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Vogue Patterns 1283

photo
by: petro

Review
Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Sew Chic Spin Skirt Pattern (ln1209)

Buy Now
Lolita Patterns Sugar Plum Pattern

Lolita Patterns Sugar Plum Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.