SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Cotton interlock knit pants? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Cotton interlock knit pants?
Can I make S2369 view D in this fabric?
lakaribane
star
lakaribane
Beginner
HAITI
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 4/20/12 11:23 AM

My mother wants a pair of colored pants such as is in fashion right now.

I have some cotton jersey knit and some cotton interlock knit in the same color, teal, that I am considering.

The pattern is S2369 view D, not the dress, the wide legged knit pants with elasticized waist.

Cotton interlock is listed at the back of the pattern but I have never used it so I'm not sure if it's a good idea for knit PANTS vs knit dresses. Different stress points and all that.

Opinions?

------
Fashion Maté, where I blog about what I (eventually) sew : http://fashionmate.blogspot.com
Addicted to Pinterest? Me too! : http://pinterest.com/lakaribane/

Barbara3
Barbara3  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 5/22/06
Send Message

In reply to lakaribane <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/20/12 12:22 PM

Nice pattern! I sew a lot with knits, and my experience has been that cotton interlock isn't the best choice for pants. A fabric with a bit of lycra helps keep the shape of the knees and seat over time.

kath210
kath210
Member since 5/11/09
Send Message

Date: 4/20/12 1:57 PM

The pants would cling, so does mom have a nice figure? That might be the best criteria!

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
IL USA
Member since 7/19/03
Send Message

Date: 4/20/12 2:57 PM

I agree with Barbara3.

And it's my experience that cotton interlock tends to be heavy with a wide legged pant.

The good thing about that pattern, though, is that the knees would bag out less with the wide leg than with a narrower one.

What were you thinking for the top? If you can figure out a way to hide the baggy seat, it might work.

Cotton interlock is VERY COMFORTABLE. Adding some poly to the fiber mix can help with the tendency to bag, as will lycra.

You can test the fabric you have by stretching it on a horizontal fold and then noticing how long/if it recovers it's original length.

------
blog: goodworks1.wordpress.com

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

Date: 4/20/12 4:38 PM

I have avoided interlock after reading Marcy Tilton say that is one knit that she never uses because it doesn't hold it's shape. Jersey, unless it's very light, would be perfect for the full pant.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

sewsally
star
sewsally  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 8/18/02
Send Message

Date: 4/21/12 10:32 AM

The Tilton sisters recommend a ponte knit for pants.

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 4/21/12 10:55 AM

I suggest a ponte. I just made skinny pants in a ponte and they are wonderful.

lakaribane
star
lakaribane
Beginner
HAITI
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 4/21/12 2:02 PM

Thank you everyone for the advice, I'm scratching the interlock knit but I don't have any ponte in Mama-friendly colors (for now!).

But, the question becomes, WHAT do I do with the interlock? I have only two cuts in it. Any ideas?

------
Fashion Maté, where I blog about what I (eventually) sew : http://fashionmate.blogspot.com
Addicted to Pinterest? Me too! : http://pinterest.com/lakaribane/

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 4/21/12 5:42 PM

I think you can if you want, as I still see lots and lots of elastic waist loose fitting pants in lots of stores (including the most expensive ones or less expensive ones) that way. And lots of factories do make them of cotton interlock and people do pay for them, buy them and wear them.

For me, since cotton/Lycra blends now exist, I think I would prefer them out of some cotton interlock with a bit of Lycra in it, if I had a choice now though, just because then, I think they would be less likely to bag out at the knees while wearing them, and also if you wanted to wear them twice without washing them in-between, (and they were still clean enough to do that, but maybe just stretched out a bit or a bit wrinkled) then I would not be tempted to rewash and dry them so much just to fix that though.

But, even though I have told this kind of thing to my Mother before, and tried to talk her into thinking like I do :), she still actually likes her cotton knit pants with elastic waist in them, to have no Lycra in them at all. Your mother might even be like mine that way. Maybe just ask her even, and see what she thinks about it.

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
IL USA
Member since 7/19/03
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 4/21/12 6:26 PM

Quote: beauturbo
But, even though I have told this kind of thing to my Mother before, and tried to talk her into thinking like I do :), she still actually likes her cotton knit pants with elastic waist in them, to have no Lycra in them at all. Your mother might even be like mine that way. Maybe just ask her even, and see what she thinks about it.

That's a really good point.

My mother also prefers interlock cotton knit pants with the elastic waist. No lycra.

So...yes, ask your mother what she likes best.

(And also consider where it is she plans to wear these pants. The interlock would make a wonderful at-home set.)

------
blog: goodworks1.wordpress.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Cotton interlock knit pants?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

McCall's 6571

photo
by: mhoutz

Review
Marfy 1903

photo
by: clothingen...

Review
Christine Jonson Inset Jacket

Christine Jonson Inset Jacket

Buy Now
SewBaby Reversible Skirt Pattern

SewBaby Reversible Skirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.