SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > Don't hate me! ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Don't hate me!
I went to a clear out a sewing building yesterday.
mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/21/12 8:39 AM

Early yesterday a friend called and told me to come quickly. A commercial drapery operation where the owner had died last year was getting rid of some stuff that had not removed or wanted by who bought the contents as the building is to be razed next week I think being in bad shape. The animal shelter volunteers were selling off what was left as the shelter got the proceeds, Being a donor anyway this was win win for me. Most of the fabric had already left when I arrived but there was a huge back room totally dark full of shelves of cone sewing and serging weight thread of all colors. I had to return with major good flash lights as it was pitch black(electricity already turned off) in there and also some plastic shopping bags. The large cones(I managed mostly to find unopened ones on the back of the shelves) were $1 each. Dh came back with me at noon in the truck and I got an industrial roll of batting for $10 that I could not get into my suv which I put in a small rental house we own we now use for storage. Wish I had gotten the word sooner as people got some huge bargains on fabric,furniture tables and sewing chairs, and drapery samples at this fast and furious clear out. Most people were busy fighting over what fabric was left and I took myself to the scary black hole where the thread was and really scored some great selections. That was about the most exciting fun in a long time to take part in that. I am a thread a holic any way. All those yummy colors in rubbermaid in my shop storage room and no more winding off cones for the coverstitch. It doesn't get any better than this. I could have haggled down the price on the thread but I donate regularly to our shelter anyway so I figured it was like getting free thread and batting. The people getting the fabric didn't seem interested in the thread room anyway would walk in with a flash light and leave. I guess people don't really understand factory cones which puzzles me greatly.

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 4/21/12 8:50 AM

Hate you somewhat! Can you wind cone thread onto regular spools for the SM--since it's cheaper?
Sad to see more factories going, they now make a frame in NC, ship it to China for upholstery, ship it back for final finishing. I don't see how all that shipping makes it a bargain, keep it all here in the States. There are still nice fabric outlets in NC, but never for apparel fabric.
We lost an outlet here, too bad I didn't need any more drapes, pillows, upholstery.

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Subject: Dont hate me! Date: 4/21/12 8:50 AM

that is fantastic. you must still be on a high from that. lucky you

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to mssewcrazy <<

Date: 4/21/12 9:37 AM

So not jealous here.. Because a local home dec store also had their warehouse sale this week.. All home decs were five dollars a yard the first day.. three dollars a yard the last day.. Furniture , pics and all were 75 percent off.. Trims.. even bullion less than l.00.. Lg remnant pieces were also l.00.

I got lucky too. twice.. The first day I bought so much that I filled my car.. so went back on the last day and thats when I found out they had been further markdowns. So naturally I filled my car again.

And these were high designer fabrics.....not your usual stuff.. I told my DH I have more fabric than chairs or windows now. so am just going to get started covering the frames I do have.. then buy more frames as I find them on Craigslist or around town.

Expect to see a ''Room of the Month'' thread soon..

The ladies asked me what I did with sooooo much fabric so I had to be honest.. I told them aside from dogbeds for my five dogs.. I usually just stick it in the closet and fondle it when I get despressed.. I have some superb and unusual fabrics and just hate to cut into them.. Thats why I make so many drapes.. then I don't have as many cuts and can reuse the fabrics.. not that I ever do. its just stuck in my mind DO NOT CUT into your fabrics.

I also have to admit I have been eyeing the bathtub for stacking my storage bins too.. This sale put me over the top .. not that I had any room left to start with for storing these bolts.. So I definitely have a problem.. No.. not a spending problem. thats silly.. its a storage problem of course.

And to make it worse.. I know am in the mood to go shop to find coordinate fabrics for what I bought.. YEP.. Definitely need more storage..

Oh, and did I mention. my feral cat just loves trims.. just loves them.. And here I am with yards and yards of trims..

But wowie.. what a buy you got on that thread.. And the batting ...

pfaffkj

pfaffkj
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 7/28/05
Send Message

Date: 4/21/12 12:10 PM

Congratulations! Sounds like a fun and productive day.

------
Karen

Yards in stash: I don't want to know!
2013 yards sewn: 1
2013 yards bought: 5

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to gramma b <<

Date: 4/21/12 3:56 PM

Gramma I don't bother with winding the spools if I use the large cones for something just use a thread stand or a janome pro that is a semi commercial type that has stands built in for cone use. I have wound some bobbins to use on the serger or coverstitch at times if I don't have cones for both. I always use the cones for home dec type sewing and lots of stuff that I sew. Some of the large cones came from a factory closing and some from zipperstop online. I confess to being a threada holic. I have serger weight and also all purpose weight on large cones in a lot of colors. When I first got a coverstitch machine and was buying 3 spools of sewing thread for it, I decided for the price of 3 small spools I could buy cones once and never buy anymore. I figure this is what the rtw I get is sewed with so use it a lot on my projects as well. I really miss having sewing in our area. When I was young there were shirt,pants,jeans. sleepwear factories around here but all gone now. Using factory buttons and findings really spoils you for paying retail prices for sewing stuff. We have some home dec and furniture fabric in the area but very slim apparel fabric either.

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to KathySews <<

Date: 4/21/12 4:00 PM

Of course I didn't do squat yesterday except organize thread and haul batting but one of those bargain swoops is such a once in a million opportunities. What I hate is for someone to tell me weeks after the fact about something like that and say oh I should have called you. Lol!

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling <<

Date: 4/21/12 4:34 PM

Poorpigling we are such birds of a feather or pigs in the poke more likely. Lol! The bathtub for rubbermaid-now why haven't I thought of that. I had to laugh about using the fabric for draperies so you don't make as many cuts. I was bemoaning something to cut a sleeveless tank from and dh said what are you talking about you have probably the most fabric in this part of the state. When I explained that I like to match the fabric amount to what I am making so I don't leave orphan amounts of fabric, he was exasperated and said just cut it anyway you will never miss any you waste. Isn't it funny that some of us who sew our ultimate dream is scoring the big one like a couple of car loads over multiple days when we already have rubbermaid to match every room's color decor? We should all participate in a DNA project I just know some of us share a buy and preserve sewing stuff gene. Guess some of us will have to barter our regional sewing treasures. Lol! I thought dh was awfully nice to go back in the truck and help me store up a roll of batting big as a room despite the fact that I have the equivalent of a warehouse of #*#*. I told the one daughter that can thread a needle they better plan to retire here if she wants to access the insane freebie stash. Every body I know has something to say about all this sewing stuff but who do they whine and wheedle some out of usually for free when they need something done. Case closed. I told some of the ladies at church that all borrow thread and whine and complain about buying a spool of thread when we do projects the cones were $1 and do you think a one of them expended a $ or went a few blocks over there to get any. Not that they need to as they know I won't let them sew with yellow thread on purple fabric.
I know all about the cat and sewing stuff-got one also. Plants,cutting out patterns, or an embroidery machine running make for serious problems not to mention unthreading a machine I just threaded or starting to serge and boom she has the thread knotted from swatting it. I'd hate to think about what she'd do to a haul of nice trim. You are so funny poor pigling I always enjoy all your stories on here.

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to pfaffkj <<

Date: 4/21/12 4:47 PM

Only a sewing person would understand. Everyone else just looks puzzled. I am really glad the people let the shelter peddle that stuff instead of putting it in dumpsters. I really hate it when something like a fabric or thread stash goes into landfills. So much better that it helps the shelter and someone gets to use it.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 4/21/12 7:20 PM

Not too jealous as that kind of thing has happened to me a few times. But now it's all taking up space at my house instead!

I think the funniest part is though, other than you had to bring your own flashlight just to see, is the fact that the roll of batting would not even fit in or on top of your whole SUV????? !!!!!!!!!! When you find yourself hauling off stuff that won't even fit in a whole pick up truck or a whole SUV, then you know you do probably have it (the look it's a bargin and I know I will use this someday kind of thing) just pretty bad!

Check all your threads though, and see if labeled on a tag on the bottom of them still, as all of it might not even work in/through a sewing machine at all, as the twist might be wrong for some of it, going though a sewing machine instead. But even if so, you still could probably use those in a serger's loopers or even to more couch over with a sewing machine, for some kind of decorative purpose.

Have fun with all your new stuff! The thrill of the hunt, can be a pretty heady thing sometimes.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Don't hate me!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
More Knits
More Knits

Class Details

Online Class
Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Class Details

Kwik Sew 3199

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Other Gertie\'s Portrait Blouse

photo
by: ShanniLove...

Review
SewBaby More Blankie Buddies pattern Pattern

SewBaby More Blankie Buddies pattern Pattern

More Info
Christine Jonson Shirred Top & Princess Wrap

Christine Jonson Shirred Top & Princess Wrap

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.