SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Cork fabric (but it ain't cheap...) ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Cork fabric (but it ain't cheap...)
jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 4/22/12 7:03 AM

Cork fabric HERE.

I'm guessing it's real cork, real thin in sheets, and treated to make it durable, with a "hand" like vinyl or something.

Interesting, but not cheap!

j.

MegquiltsinVT

MegquiltsinVT
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 6/3/09
Send Message

Date: 4/22/12 7:22 AM

$79 for a 20"x54" piece - that is truly an extravagance.... I saw the email from McCalls/Vogue/Butterick with that handbag made of cork fabric and my first thought was 'how is this stuff to sew with?' I wonder if it's brittle or becomes brittle?
I believe I'll pass! But I'd love to hear if anyone has worked with it.

------
Pfaff QE4.0, 1222E, 796
Janome 1000cpx, 1110 dcx
Singer Featherweight, grandmother's treadle
New Home treadle

KimG
star
KimG  Friend of PR
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 1/3/07
Send Message

Date: 4/22/12 10:02 AM

I bought some of this for a client a few months ago when this deal was first advertised in Sewing Today. I haven't worked with it yet, so I don't know how it will handle. It's a thin layer of cork fused to a thinner (by my eye) layer of a woven fabric, kind of fuzzy, like a very thin flannel. I can't separate the backing from the cork, even though I've picked at a corner for a while. I guess I'd compare its hand to a flannel backed tablecloth, or a waterproof table protector--maybe a bit stiffer.

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Subject: Cork fabric (but it aint cheap...) Date: 4/22/12 12:29 PM

Can't wait for someone to make something from this. I am thinking it will make a very nice purse or belts

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to KathySews <<

Date: 4/22/12 1:49 PM

Oh, Kath, I'm sure you're right: I think it would make an outstanding bag. In fact, when I saw the McCalls pattern that uses it, I was surprised they mucked it up with a big cloth patch pocket smack on the outside.

I think just an interesting handle and really high-qual hardware would be enough to just play up the cork.

Especially at $79 bucks a piece!

j.

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Subject: Cork fabric (but it aint cheap...) Date: 4/22/12 2:23 PM

I love that it's eco-friendly and really visually appealing, but I'm shocked at the price. $80 for basically a 1/2 yd?!?!? WOW! I would love for someone to make something and review it though.

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to jadamo00 <<

Date: 4/22/12 3:30 PM

I don't understand why it would be so expensive? I have bought just a piece of thin sliced cork with sticky stuff on the back of it before, (to stick on walls at maybe Michaels Arts and Crafts or even maybe Office Depot in with the chalk boards and stuff there, I can't remember the exact size but maybe 4 self sticky backed tiles of it, at maybe a foot square each, at least for more like not more than $8 or $12 at most, for all 4 or more of them, maybe even way less.

But was shoe shopping lately, and noticed this year cork or cork look is real big on the sides of all those platform sandals. But I also noticed it's not even real half of the time! Sometimes it really may be a thin laminate of it, or more often even some fake cork that still has a texture you can feel with your fingertips, but on the cheaper shoes, sometimes it just some thin piece/sheet of plastic/vinyl glued onto there, that they just cheaply even printed a picture of cork onto it instead!

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to jadamo00 <<

Date: 4/22/12 3:38 PM

Any way, if you get your cork at a office supply store, or maybe an interior decorating kind of place I think it would be way cheaper than from any fabric store as some new kind of or specialized fabric at all.

You could still heat bond some or a few layers going in different grin line directions of fuse-able woven interfacing to the back of it if you really wanted to also.

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

Date: 4/24/12 1:09 PM

The cork tiles and adhesive sheets I've seen in office supply stores are ground cork smushed together, most likely the waste bits and cork dust from making things like this fabric and flooring. Maybe I'm not getting to the right office supply places?

I'd guess that shaving thin enough sheets in that size might add to the cost? In other wood products, a piece of oak 1" x12" x 10' is a whole lot more expensive than a 1" x 6" x 8' piece.

And I agree, they didn't do that bag any favors with that pocket.

Peacecat
Peacecat
Beginner
AK
Member since 5/26/12
Send Message

Subject: Cork fabric and cork bags Date: 5/26/12 0:41 AM

Tom Bihn makes a cork bag which is very popular, called the "Swift".
Also, Peasants and Travellers makes a cork bag or two. It may just be a "trend" but I am tempted to buy some cork and construct a bag or two (NOT like the McCall's pattern though - I agree, the fabric square in the center makes it look weird).

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Cork fabric (but it ain't cheap...)

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

McCall's 5633

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Jalie 2796

photo
by: cindysewsa...

Review

Pattern

Jamie Christina Palooza Apron Pattern (JC309PA)

Jamie Christina Palooza Apron Pattern (JC309PA)

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.