SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Entirely hand-sewn binding? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Entirely hand-sewn binding?
Grandmother's flower garden again!
KatieA

KatieA
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/30/05
Send Message

Date: 4/23/12 10:42 AM

OK, so I'm making great progress (though it's not very tidy) with the quilting on my GFG quilt. The edges are not straight as I decided not to put a border on, just use the shapes of the hexagons.

So, I can't see it being easy to sew the binding on with the machine and I'll just sew front and back of the binding by hand.

The problem is I can only find tutorials for hand-sewing the back - everyone assumes you will sew the front of the binding by hand I think.

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to KatieA <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/23/12 2:22 PM

I am glad to read you are continuing the quilt. I would love to see a picture of it, just as it is right now. So the edges are not straight. I keep being told there is no Quilt Police. Not sure if I believe them or not. The worst critic you will find is yourself. I know, as I am my worst one.

I have seen bindings that weave around the outside of the project, as they are either scalloped or just unusual shapes. Most have borders. You chose not to do them and that is perfectly fine. I have seen quilts without borders too.

Be creative and make it the way YOU want it to be. Don't follow the rules if the Quilt tells you not to.

As for sewing it to the quilt... well, I am new to this so just guessing here. As long as you know the stitches will not show either on the front or the back as you join the quilt and the binding together by hand, do it anyway you want.

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

KatieA

KatieA
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/30/05
Send Message

Date: 4/24/12 4:37 AM

Sorry if I was unclear. As it is a hexagon pattern, the edges are SUPPOSED to be non-straight, unless you add a border. It's not uneven, it is the design.

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/24/12 1:23 PM

I'd think you'd just use a small running stitch, just like you'd use if you were doing hand piecing. And follow similar steps for mitering right angles.

Another possible option - don't add binding, fold the front and back in to meet and slip stitch it closed. I only recently found Barbara Brackman's blog and was reading back entries, and one said it used to be a common way of finishing quilts. Another entry said bindings were often much narrower than what's used today.

added - I *think* it was Barbara Brackman's blog. I've found a few new-to-me blogs on old quilts, in the last couple of weeks, it may have been another one.
-- Edited on 4/24/12 1:31 PM --

KatieA

KatieA
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/30/05
Send Message

In reply to justgail <<

Date: 4/24/12 4:32 PM

Running stitch I can cope with - I'll give that a go.
I'm not brilliant at mitering corners but I think it will be easier by hand as less potential for sewing over the wrong bit.
I saw a tutorial that was for machine sewing but it did recommend stay stitching the edges first so I may do that, or perhaps some more tacking, before trimming.

KatieA

KatieA
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/30/05
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 8/11/12 1:00 PM

Finally! I got the binding done.

There are a few bits I don't want people to look too closely at and a few where I had to turn under the patch and whipstitch it to the binding because I didn't sew the binding on accurately the first time. And some of the angles are more curves. The sides aren't too bad but the top and bottom are not great.

But it's been through the washing machine on a hand cycle and came out OK.

Phew!

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to KatieA <<

Date: 8/11/12 1:04 PM

What an undertaking! Good job!

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

clotheshorse
star
clotheshorse  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 3/24/10
Send Message

In reply to KatieA <<

Date: 8/11/12 3:50 PM

That's a very pretty quilt, great job!

------
Viking D1, 1+, Pfaff 7570, Singer 503 Rocketeer, 66, 15-91, 301, Featherweight 6 Flock, Babylock Enlighten & CS and Pfaff Creative Performance

bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 4/15/06
Send Message

Date: 8/11/12 4:00 PM

I'm kinda loving this bit of happiness!

Excellent job!

------
Brother Innovis NX650Q; Brother Nouvelle 1500; Brother CS6000i; Brother 1034D; Janome 1000CPX

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
WV USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

Date: 8/11/12 4:39 PM

Beautiful!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Entirely hand-sewn binding?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

StyleArc Abby

photo
by: BeaJay

Review
Simplicity 2512

photo
by: saranoemi

Review
Sewing Workshop L2 Bag Pattern

Sewing Workshop L2 Bag Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.