SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Re-locating, Texas Gulf Coast? Or other hot place ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Re-locating, Texas Gulf Coast? Or other hot place
(need winter warmth)
ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

Date: 4/25/12 10:23 AM

We're considering a move (not immediately, but within a year or so) and are considering possibly the Texas Gulf Coast...also open to other ideas. What I'm looking for is very, very warm weather, approaching or in the 80's even in the winter, and I think that area would be like that. (We spent years living overseas by the equator and it's what I prefer.) Actually I also loved Miami/Kendall when we were there for a time, but my husband doesn't want to be right in that city. Any thoughts?

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to ShantiSeamstressing <<

Date: 4/25/12 10:39 AM

Houston/Galveston does not have winters that warm - more like 60's a lot of the time and 40's pretty often. And when it's cold it's a damp, clammy, windy cold that cuts right through you.

I don't know if it's possible to get far enough south on the west side of the Gulf to have winters that warm and still be in Texas, but hopefully someone familiar with the Corpus Christi/Brownsville area will chime in.

I think to get that warm anywhere in the mainland US you are looking at about as far south as Miami, but I am curious what Fort Myers, Naples or West Palm Beach are like. Looking forward to the Floridians to chime in.

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

sewsally
star
sewsally  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 8/18/02
Send Message

Date: 4/25/12 11:40 AM

Palm springs is nice but not always 80.
I like Tucson too but then again not 80.

Perhaps other places in FL. Smaller towns.

Maybe somewhere is south america. We like Brazil and Argentina but the plane ride is so long.

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 4/25/12 12:02 PM

Singapore!!! My absolute favorite place in SE Asia that has the weather you're seeking.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 4/25/12 1:35 PM

If you are looking for an area that has any population really at all. you would be looking at Corpus Christi.. Not too small.. not too large.
But you would need to check out the insurance in that zone. We lived there for a while.. its where I met DH.. I would go back if it weren't such a drive from the kiddos..

The nice thing about Corpus is its a short drive to San Antoine. And the outlets at San Marcos.

NM gal
NM gal
Beginner
Member since 5/27/09
Send Message

Date: 4/25/12 2:15 PM

I loved Miami but hubby didn't. And I love the humidity. Weird I know.

Maybe north of Miami, Jupiter is nice.

ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

In reply to TessKwiltz <<

Date: 4/25/12 2:32 PM

I think from some reading I've been doing, you're right....maybe the Corpus Christi area, and otherwise, Florida. As you say, it needn't be Miami exactly...there are other nice and hot places in FL. I'm glad you shared that about Houston/Galveston. A damp, clammy, windy cold is one of the exact things I'm trying to eliminate. Thanks!

ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

In reply to sewsally <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/25/12 2:34 PM

I have a feeling it may be FL, as you mention. My only thought about Arizona is that it's going to be dry heat, whereas I'm ideally looking for humid heat (I know, that sounds odd, but I do...). S. America...maybe another country someday. But we have children and they still need college, so...we need to be here. Thank you!

ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

In reply to minggiddylooloo <<

Date: 4/25/12 2:36 PM

Oh Ming, I love SE Asia! But for now, it's the mainland, as my children still will need college in a few years, so, must be here. I follow a bunch of blogs from gals in SE Asia, though. One can dream, eh?

ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

In reply to poorpigling <<

Date: 4/25/12 2:40 PM

Corpus Christi sounds like what I might be looking for, in Texas! I will be sure to check out details, like insurance...There are a lot of details to check (something I learned the first time we bought a house...when I didn't know better). That's good to know that Corpus Christi is in a good proximity to some other areas like San Antonio. Thank you!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Re-locating, Texas Gulf Coast? Or other hot place

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Butterick 3523 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Self Drafted Pattern 244038-1005

photo
by: NhiHuynh

Review
Victoria Jones Collection Happi Coat & Hanten (230)

Victoria Jones Collection Happi Coat & Hanten (230)

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.