SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Any other beginners loving their horribleness? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Any other beginners loving their horribleness?
reetsi
reetsi  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 4/21/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 4/26/12 2:45 PM

Let me just start by saying that I really, really want to get better. I am green with envy when I see the amazing fabric concoctions you guys cook up. I think, "I want to make something like that some day."

But with that said, I haven't laughed so much since I was learning how to ski. When I was in Jr. High, my parents decided the family needed to ski. Some of my favorite memories are when I ran into bushes, slid down a mountain on my derriere or accidentally skiied into one of my sisters.

I'm finding that learning how to sew is a similar, though safer, experience. I am working on an "easy" pattern, but I find my creations are so laughable and bizarre, I run downstairs to show my sweetie. I think about sending this project into craftfail.com all the time.

I'm wondering if I'm alone in this? Although I'm determined to get better, I think I might miss this clueless stage.

ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/26/12 3:01 PM

I think you have the right attitude! For myself, I don't suppose I can actually say that I do literally "miss" my first days of sewing, and some of the silly kinds of mistakes I made then (yet...I learned from them all, so how silly were they really?...sorry, a digression); but I do know that I don't dread or feel ashamed of the memory of them. I had a take-it-easy-and-slow approach, and I think I was fairly reasonable with self-expectations, which it sounds like you are, too. Makes sewing sew much more fun!

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

In reply to reetsi <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/26/12 4:04 PM

Lol those were good times. I think the world needs a "what not to do" sewing book.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

reetsi
reetsi  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 4/21/12
Send Message

In reply to ShantiSeamstressing <<

Date: 4/26/12 4:06 PM

Hi ShantiSeamstressing! Yes, I feel like I'm learning from my mistakes too! I'm keeping notes on all of my goof-ups, actually. I am already on my third page. I know there are lots of things I'll be doing better next time. And I suppose that's one of the things I like about this stage. The learning curve is steep, but you can definitely tell you've made progress.

I think about the skiing analogy a lot. I got to a point where I was a solidly intermediate skier, but realized I would have to devote much more time and energy if I wanted to improve significantly. At the time, I remember feeling a little sad about this. (I was in high school though and brooded about many things back then.) I do wonder if sewing is that way. Do other sewists get to a point where it would require a huge amount of effort to progress?

reetsi
reetsi  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 4/21/12
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh <<

Date: 4/26/12 4:07 PM

Hi NhiHuynh! Ha! That would be a great coffee table book. Maybe we could call it "Sewing Gone Wrong" or something like that.

n45
n45
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 6/26/03
Send Message

Date: 4/26/12 4:55 PM

Having a sense of humor is really the way to go! Too much teeth grinding early on tends to sap motivation. Enjoying the process is half the battle.

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

In reply to reetsi <<

Date: 4/26/12 5:15 PM

You should see some of my stuff! I think I got much too serious from the beginning - should have had a more open mind and looked at it with humor, but I was trying to prove to DH and myself that this was worthwhile endeavour and felt I had to make "good" on all the purchases of equipment and supplies ASAP. Plus, I was desperate for t-shirts that would fit, so I started out trying to learn everything at the same time. Your way sounds a lot more fun! I'd continue using your philosophy! Keep having fun!

Kippysan
star
Kippysan
Intermediate
Member since 4/19/11
Send Message

Date: 4/26/12 8:52 PM

Ah ha ha ha ha. What makes you think the "clueless stage" will ever totally disappear? I think most of us still make mistakes or veer off from the "right way" to do things, even if we've been sewing for years.

I think your attitude is wonderful and I hope you never lose your open-minded attitude.

I gotta go now, I want to check out craftfail.com and see whether any of my creations might qualify for a new home on the site.

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

In reply to reetsi <<

Date: 4/26/12 10:04 PM

reetsi, a coffee table book is perfect. Big and lots of pictures. Here are some other title ideas..

"Sew Wrong: I meant to put the sleeve in the neck hole."
"Seamed Right at the Time: The wrong side of the fabric sorta looks the right side."
"Skinny jeans: and other creative names for sewing bloopers."

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

cinca
cinca
Member since 4/27/11
Send Message

In reply to reetsi <<

Date: 4/26/12 10:28 PM

This was not addressed to me, but I could not resist. Your attitude is so open and flexible and humorous, you are going to learn fast and well.

The fact that you are logging your mistakes is going to help you learn faster. You will be more likely not to forget past mistakes and repeat them.

I do not believe you will get to a point where it will take a huge amount of effort to succeed. I believe it will get easier, and then you will crave more challenging projects to hone you skills. You go Girl! You are on the right track.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Any other beginners loving their horribleness?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

brerrabbit.com Kimono Dress Doll Clothes

photo
by: HOWsMom

Review
Simplicity 3628

photo
by: Aroura

Review
Sew Liberated Clara Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Clara Dress Pattern

Buy Now
PerfectFuse Medium White

PerfectFuse Medium White

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.