SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > Skirt without side seams

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Skirt without side seams
Should I do it? Does one exist?
KitnRose
star
KitnRose
Intermediate
Member since 6/18/03
Send Message

Date: 4/28/12 1:25 AM

Background - I have "athletic" thighs and a small waist which are a pain to fit even witha simple pencil skirt. Just cutting the pattern a size larger at the thighs doesn't fully work as the skirt "caves in" over my hips. I've spent the last decade trying to fix that and the best I can get with most fabrics is just decent. The side seams always seem to add weight and fit poorly, no matter how I mess with them.

Fast forwards to last weekend. I found a skirt at Goodwill that fit amazingly over my sides. Smooth, no caving or bulging - and no side seams! It was a 6 gore skirt with seams at CF, CB, and at the places darts are usually found. Sides were seamless. So that got me curious - would eliminating side seams be the best way to go? Is the extra bulk there possibly causing some problems and keeping the fabric from flowing properly? Am I just engaging in some wistful thinking in light of my fitting frustrations?

------
Kit
"Never underestimate the power of the right dress!" - drsue
"Hyu gots to know how to sveet tok de costumers, dollink" - Girl Genius, 11-24-08

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to KitnRose <<

Date: 4/28/12 9:05 AM

Well, a 6 panel skirt doesn't really reduce seam bulk at the waist because instead of 2 seams, you have 6.

On the other hand, the fabric reduction from hips to waist is more evenly distributed in a 6 panel skirt, as it gets gradually smaller and smaller with straight seams on 6 panels, instead of curved ones on just 2 panels.

You can definately buy 6 panel skirt patterns. If not current ones, then an out-of-print on eBay LIKE THIS ONE.

It looks like views A and B have 6 panels. A classic! You could make this skirt a gazillion ways! Always flattering no matter what's in or out. HOW GORGEOUS IS THAT SKIRT?!!! And there's plenty of swishy movement at the hem which looks so cute when we walk! (Um, not you Men Who Sew )

-- Edited on 4/28/12 10:07 AM --

KitnRose
star
KitnRose
Intermediate
Member since 6/18/03
Send Message

Date: 4/28/12 10:03 AM

Thank you, though I suppose I should clarify - new skirt is probably better termed a 6 panel skirt as it's pretty much a pencil skirt with seams at CF and CB as well as where you'd normally have darts.

The waist isn't as much an issue as the hips/ thighs. I could probably solve a lot of my problems by switching to a-line skirts but I've never liked how they look on me. Just too much volume, even with that slight flare.

------
Kit
"Hyu gots to know how to sveet tok de costumers, dollink" - Girl Genius, 11-24-08

shana707

shana707
Advanced
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/23/05
Send Message

In reply to KitnRose <<

Date: 4/28/12 10:07 AM

Can you copy the skirt? If you can, you've got a TNT!

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to shana707 <<

Date: 4/28/12 10:09 AM

Right, copy the skirt! That would be the perfect solution!

j.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to KitnRose <<

Date: 4/28/12 10:10 AM

Kit - gored or paneled skirts would be a really good choice for you, I think. I love the gored skirts I have because they can be made to accommodate my sway back very nicely. I can take in little bits from several seams instead of trying to fit darts or having a huge chunk out of the CB seam.

For a pencil skirt you could probably take 6 or 8 rectangular panels (with the width to fit your hips plus seam allowances) and pin fit them until you get the shape that works for you. Sounds like a fun project!

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

KitnRose
star
KitnRose
Intermediate
Member since 6/18/03
Send Message

In reply to shana707 <<

Date: 4/28/12 10:27 AM

Quote: shana707
Can you copy the skirt? If you can, you've got a TNT!

Stop making it so simple! I'm definitely taking measurements from the skirt for my next stab at a TNT skirt. Unfortunately the back isnt perfect (though far better than most RTW) so some fitting would need to be done still. But the sides look great!

I'm mostly curious about WHY the side seams appear to be such a problem for me and when it would seem that the fitting aid would be most needed there.

I found a vintage one-seam skirt pattern recently and I think that will be my starting base. Thank you for all the suggestions! After a year of focusing on school, I found my body changed just enough that my old TNTs aren't so true anymore. Sigh. And I put so much work into them too.

------
Kit

tigergirl
star
tigergirl  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Queensland Australia
Member since 11/30/09
Send Message

In reply to KitnRose <<

Date: 4/28/12 10:15 PM

Quote: KitnRose
would eliminating side seams be the best way to go? Is the extra bulk there possibly causing some problems and keeping the fabric from flowing properly?

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I have problems with those seams too - sometimes it's ok, other times it's a hot mess (esp. if the sa decides to turn from one side to the other exactly at my widest part and add an inch to each thigh)

------
Brother BM-2600
Janome 693
Lumina Overlocker (Serger)
http://tigergirladventures.blogspot.com/

E.A.Y.
E.A.Y.
Advanced
Member since 1/25/12
Send Message

Date: 4/29/12 2:16 AM

Had an old Vogue designer pattern from the late 1980s: jacket had asym construction but that's not important.
The skirt was narrow and had extremely curved side seams. It always reminded me of.the seams on a baseball. It fit very well and was flattering. I don't have the pattern any more but when I'm home again I can take a pic of the skirt if you'd like.
It totally does not fit anymore but it is my motivation to keep losing weight so I've kept it all this time.

------
Cotton: 37 yards
Linen: 6 yards
Silk: 16 yards
Wool: 15 yards
Lining: 14 yards

lakaribane
star
lakaribane
Beginner
HAITI
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 5/5/12 7:44 AM

Stepalica just did a a post about a similar skirt she drafted

Of course, there's a hidden dart in the seam at the waist but I love the slight flare of the hem. Beatiful skirt!

------
Fashion Maté, where I blog about what I (eventually) sew : http://fashionmate.blogspot.com
Addicted to Pinterest? Me too! : http://pinterest.com/lakaribane/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> Skirt without side seams

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Jalie 2682

photo
by: Quickie

Review
McCall's 6390

photo
by: MayenDesig...

Review
BIRTH OF A BUSTIER - A CD Book by Kenneth King

BIRTH OF A BUSTIER - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Swirl Skirt & Ruffle Top

Christine Jonson Swirl Skirt & Ruffle Top

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.