SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Bummed About a Dress ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bummed About a Dress
Sewnsewmom
star
Sewnsewmom
Advanced Beginner
Member since 7/31/08
Send Message

Date: 4/28/12 11:43 AM

I have been working on KS 3675KS3675

At first, when I tried on the bodice, I loved it. But when I attached the skirt to the bodice, and tried it on, it stunk! It made me look like I was pregnant! I am not overweight. My weight is pretty good where it's at.

But to say that I am discouraged is the understatement of the year. I know that other sewists have wadders. I haven't had a wadder for a few months. But I just can't shake this feeling.

I think that part of it is that I really want to find a nice dress pattern. I have some great skirt patterns, already. But I want to make some dresses.

I am planning on making a top. So, I will move on. But I am still upset.

Thanks for letting me have this pity part.
-- Edited on 4/28/12 11:44 AM --

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Sewnsewmom <<

Date: 4/28/12 11:47 AM

We all have wadders.

Take some photos, front back sides and post them here. We have some great fit experts on this site who can help you to tweak the pattern for next time.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

HDWen
star
HDWen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Arizona USA
Member since 12/26/11
Send Message

Date: 4/28/12 11:52 AM

Hey Sewnsew -- I like to shape of the bodice of that dress too, but your right the bottom has ALOT of fabric and who wants to look pregnant!

What if you attached that cute bodice to more of an A-line skirt? Something for your smaller/average weight??

All that fabric and it would make me look 30 lbs heavier - NOT what I'd want either

Don't give up yet - yes, post some photo's and all these wonderful experts can help figure it out -- Salvage it instead.

------
I have a great enthusium for sewing, but lack talent to be great.

Sewnsewmom
star
Sewnsewmom
Advanced Beginner
Member since 7/31/08
Send Message

In reply to HDWen <<

Date: 4/28/12 12:12 PM

HDWen,

Ok, that is the most awesome idea! I even have a TNT A-line skirt pattern that I love.

One question: Would I lengthen the skirt to have it fit the bodice? The bodice just goes past the bust area.

Thank you ladies!!

marjoriekh
star
marjoriekh  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 8/28/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 4/28/12 12:19 PM

I agree with HDWen -- it's most likely the style, and not your sewing, particularly if you are pleased with the bodice alone. If I were making that pattern, I would assume that it was going to make me look heavier than I am. I like my weight, too, but I need some waist definition to make the most of my figure.

It's possible you could recut your skirt panels in a different style; there must be a lot of fabric there to work with.

Do you have another empire waist woven dress pattern in your stash, with a more fitted skirt? It's probably not going to work just to substitute, but people here on PR could walk you through how to make the necessary pattern changes to fit a different skirt to the Kwik Sew bodice.

------
marjoriekh

Sewnsewmom
star
Sewnsewmom
Advanced Beginner
Member since 7/31/08
Send Message

In reply to marjoriekh <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 4/28/12 12:26 PM

Marjoriekh,

You are right. Just like you, I do waist definition.

I will not give up the quest for making a dress!

Michelle L
starstarstar
Michelle L
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 1/20/08
Send Message

Date: 4/28/12 1:55 PM

That style of dress is something that I can't wear at all.

Anything that has gathers at the waist level makes me look enormous.

It is likely not a problem with your sewing at all, but possibly the pattern itself, choice of fabric, or another factor entirely.

I find that dresses with an a-line skirt rather than a gathered skirt ar much more flattering on my body.

------
Michelle

http://cheapandpicky.blogspot.com/

kath210
kath210
Member since 5/11/09
Send Message

Date: 4/28/12 2:31 PM

One doesn't have to be overweight to find something doesn't fit nicely; you might want to check on the previous postings about body shape and what to wear with yours.

But anything with a zillion gathers DOES add weight, like all those cute, gathered tops in style lately. They add a lot. That is the reason we see these super skinny girls modeling them...a normal person looks like a house!

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 4/28/12 3:19 PM

I have that pattern in my stack to cut out, so now I'm cautious. What type fabric did you use?

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 4/28/12 3:54 PM

I think that style (peasant combined with empire waist with lots of fabric and gathers) actually looks the the best and the most "cute" and less likely to make anyone look pregnant, if on kids and teenager's or even grown women(of any age) they happen to be just very tall and very skinny. And only then sometimes, if it is very soft and draping fabric.

But if your actual fabric is soft and fluid enough, and you don't like how it looks right now on you, I think I would try saving it, by making some very long, skinny kind tiny ties and fasten them more at the sides of the elastic high waist there. Then try wrapping those around and downwards, criss crossing them each time front and back around you, more even down into your hip area, and tie off in front with a bow or something. I think that might give it a rather very different look and bring all that loose fabric more into you, and then you actually even have got a waist, and it shows, even under all that loose fabric.

You could try that, as after you have spent all the time to make something, I think it's probably worth trying a few things afterwards to make a "save" sometimes, particular if you really still love the fabric and maybe just not the style. Or just cut it up and even make something else from it later maybe. But on the other hand, if you decide you don't like something, because you don't actually like the fabric anymore at all, or even the color of it, then most times that is just sort of the time, to call it a wader and move on to the next project instead!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Bummed About a Dress

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

McCall's 6271

photo
by: Crys0904

Review
Paradiso Designs Everyday Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Everyday Bag Pattern

Buy Now
PerfectFuse Sheer White

PerfectFuse Sheer White

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.