SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Spaces > My Brother in Law is building me a table! ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
My Brother in Law is building me a table!
I am so excited!
isakswings
star
isakswings
Advanced Beginner
UT USA
Member since 8/22/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/3/12 11:23 AM

I have been looking for a sewing table and I have not been able to find anything like I had envisioned in my mind. Because I have seen the furniture my brother has made for his family, I asked dh to ask if he would be willing to make a table for me.

I wanted an "L" shaped table. I didn't want anything too fancy.This table will be in 2 pieces and will have a connecting piece underneath to connect the pieces together I wanted it in 2 pieces so it would be easier to move and so I could use it in an L shape or as one long desk/table. It will be 30 inches high and 20 inches deep. One table will be 4 feet long and the other will be 6 feet long(roughly). On each end, there will be inset shelves. They will be 10 inches deep and about 14-15 inches in height. I will store excess machines and/or other supplies on these shelves. I did not want them the width of the desk because I want to be able to get under the table and use that space to set up my machines(and likely my kids machines too). I am excited about this. I am not sure how well I described what we are doing. Hopefully this made a little bit of sense! I didn't want any drawers because they tend to turn into a catch-all for me. I have some other ideas for places to store scissors and other notions. I've also got a lot of wall space in that room(a large laundry room that will double as my sewing room). I also have a filing cabinet I am going to use to store my patterns in. I don't have many of those yet, but that is where I plan to store them. It is a 2 drawer cabinet and at this point, it will work well for the amount of patterns I own.

The other nice thing about that room is that there are florescent lights in there. There are also 2 nice sized windows and a door that goes outside. I can open the door for fresh air and more light if I want to.

Currently, if I want a sewing machine and a serger set up, I have to set one up in the laundry room and the other machine is up stairs. It isn't very convenient but it works. Once I have that table in the laundry room, I will be able to easily move from one machine to the next machine.YEAH!

When my room is put together, I will take pictures and post them here.

------
I'm fairly new to sewing but I am finding it to be fun and rewarding!

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 5/3/12 11:45 AM

Yay team!

------
“I don’t give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think it’s Hell.” — Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 5/3/12 12:35 PM

Oh I can't wait to see this! I think having a sewing table/furniture built is a much less expensive way to go, usually. What they charge for these Koala and such tables is very high. This way you get what you want. Congrats!!

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to isakswings <<

Date: 5/3/12 1:04 PM

That's pretty exciting news. You'll love the efficiency and you will be so pleased when you see how having all this pulled together makes the whole house seem tidier.

Just wondering.....is your laundry room humid? Would you need a dehumidifier or those little bags of 'natural stuff' that people hang in their closets to absorb excess moisture? Something like Damp Rid.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

isakswings
star
isakswings
Advanced Beginner
UT USA
Member since 8/22/08
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch <<

Date: 5/3/12 7:21 PM

Good question! No, it isn't humid.I have all most of my fabric and my machines are stored in there right now and there isn't an issue at all with humidity. Even when both the washer and dryer are going, I have not felt humidity in there. I will definitely keep an eye on that! Thanks for bringing humidity up because I hadn't thought of that as a possible issue.

I can't wait until it is finished! It will be so nice to have a table!

------

isakswings
star
isakswings
Advanced Beginner
UT USA
Member since 8/22/08
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch <<

Date: 5/3/12 7:24 PM

Quote: SouthernStitch
Oh I can't wait to see this! I think having a sewing table/furniture built is a much less expensive way to go, usually.

Oh I agree! It'll be about 250-300.00 when all is said and done. That is SOOOO much cheaper then buying pre-made sewing furniture. When I looked at a Bernina machine, it was on sale with a cabinet and the cabinet was 400 on sale. It wasn't a very big cabinet either, so I think for what I want, I am getting a great deal! WOO HOO!

------

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/3/12 7:38 PM

Wow, very inexpensive... Look forward to PICS when it's done (hint-hint) :)

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

gneebee
gneebee  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
SC USA
Member since 8/30/11
Send Message

Date: 5/4/12 6:12 AM

Looking forward to hearing more about your table. I'm currently discussing the same idea with my son, who has built quite a bit of nice furniture, cabinetry, etc. in his own house. I've shown him photos online for ideas and he drew up some sketches. Best wishes and do share your progress!

------
wife, mom, nurse, grandmother, sewing/embroidery hobbiest from SC with a BL Ellisimo, BL Enterprise, Babylock Evolve, Bernina 180 & 1090.

CBLSEWS
CBLSEWS  Friend of PR
Beginner
LA USA
Member since 11/24/10
Send Message

Date: 5/4/12 4:17 PM

That is a great idea! Like everbody has said already, I can't wait to see pictures. It will be so nice to have all your equipment and materials in one room and be organized. Congrats!

isakswings
star
isakswings
Advanced Beginner
UT USA
Member since 8/22/08
Send Message

In reply to gneebee <<

Date: 5/7/12 0:48 AM

I can't wait to see the end result. It seems to be the best way to go. I am hoping he is right that it will be as cheap as he thinks to make it. My husband was actually expecting it to be more. We'll see. Good luck deciding!

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> My Brother in Law is building me a table!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Butterick 5490

photo
by: annie11

Review
Silhouette Patterns 3200

photo
by: Mobycat

Review
Sewing Workshop Inventor Shirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Inventor Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things A Billfold Pattern

Favorite Things A Billfold Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.