SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fitting Woes > Need help with McCall's 6119 ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Need help with McCall's 6119
Pics included... can you please help me??
heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 5/4/12 10:45 PM

Ok, I'm almost done with this shirt for my sister, but I'm having a problem trying to figure out this last step!
There are only 2 reviews here on PR and I emailed the member who made the top beautifully, but no response, so I'm turning to all of you experts out there to help me, please!

I'm trying to attach the bodice to the "skirt" of this flouncy top
Pattern Picture

Here's the instructions, which are quite vague (IMHO)
Pattern Instructions

Now, here's where I'm stuck! There is A LOT of extra fabric on the "skirt" of the pattern than on the bodice. I'm not sure how to "ease" this into place. It doesn't call for gathers and by reading the instructions and looking at the pictures, it's supposed to hang on the sides to have this handerchief like hemline. I can't, however, figure out how I'm supposed to attach the two with all this extra fabric. Fold it? What?
Pic of the offending fabric

Another view of the problem

Any help you can provide is GREATLY appreciated! I want to finish this top for her and MOVE ON! I can't believe I can't figure this out!! Thanks in advance!!!!

PS - Sorry I can't insert the pics... I've never been able to do that from my computer!
-- Edited on 5/4/12 10:51 PM --

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Subject: Need help with McCalls 6119 Date: 5/5/12 0:27 AM

One of phrases in the instructions states, 'adjust ease' somewhere it must have said to run a gathering/ease stitch. I would sew 1 row of stitching with a large stitch around the top of the 'skirt' and that should be enough to bring it in.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Pinkytoo
starstarstar
Pinkytoo
Advanced
Nevada USA
Member since 6/23/06
Send Message

In reply to heathergwo <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/5/12 3:14 AM

Are you "stretching elastic while stitching" - ? I assume that means there is elastic on the bottom of the bodice. If that doesn't take up most of the slack, I'd take in the sides of the "skirt".

------
Sewing is my therapy!

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 5/5/12 10:13 AM

I agree, there is an "ease" here somewhere and it mentions elastic. From what I can see in the photos, there is not a lot of extra fabric, so stretching the elastic should take care of it.

Hope you are planning on reviewing this
-- Edited on 5/5/12 10:13 AM --

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Subject: Need help with McCalls 6119 Date: 5/5/12 5:16 PM

Actually there is A LOT of xtra fabric... it's just hard to see in the pics.

I re-read the instructions. It says to easestitch the bottom of the bodice piece, but that makes no sense since it's the "skirt" that is the longer/bigger piece of fabric.

And even stretching out the elastic (it's not very bunched) would give me maybe another 1" or so and there is easily 8"+ of extra fabric on EACH side!

I'm guess I'm going to have to just gather the 'skirt' portion as I can't see another way to do it! If I had enough balls, I would try to use my differential on the serger to do it, but I've only done this once on knits and if I screw up my fabric I'm totally SOL!

Oh well... let's see what i can come up with... review to follow!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

ConnieBJ
starstar
ConnieBJ  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ontario Canada
Member since 12/31/03
Contest Committee
Send Message

Subject: Need help with McCalls 6119 Date: 5/5/12 5:28 PM

First try matching the pattern pieces to see how much ease there really is. (walking the seams) If the pattern pieces seem correct it is time to go to the fabric.
Take the fabric and matching it back with the pattern piece. It is very common for fabric to "grow" when it is not cut on the grain. Put the pattern piece down and lay the fabric on top. You will likely have to shift the fabric and "play it" into place. If that works then you could try to put a length of scotch tape inside the seam allowance to "stay" the seam.
I hope that helps - I'm better at showing than telling!

------
Connie Bontje

http://www.couturesmith.com
Twitter: Couturesmith
Facebook: Connie Bontje
Desperately trying to keep ahead of my pattern, fabric and dressform collection!

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 5/5/12 7:38 PM

OMG... I am a total IDIOT!

So I pull the pattern piece out as suggested and line it up... no, the fabric hasn't stretched, but then I notice on the SIDES that is says 'hem 5/8'. I'm like, why would you hem the sides??? So I pull out the instructions again and look more closely at the step BEFORE the one where I'm stuck and I find my problem!

I sewed the literal sides together, but not what the pattern calls for. It wants what I think of as the TOP to be partially sewn together to create the handkerchief hem!! So I sewed the wrong "sides" together and created my own problem!

Now I have to cut the seams I did make. Sew the ACTUAL sides together and then re-hem the edges of the seam I had to cut which is a cute rolled hem on the serger. I feel like a total dunce!

Thanks for all the help... at least it got me to find my problem! Hopefully I can finish this off today!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

Pinkytoo
starstarstar
Pinkytoo
Advanced
Nevada USA
Member since 6/23/06
Send Message

In reply to heathergwo <<

Date: 5/5/12 9:03 PM

We've all been there at least once.

------
Sewing is my therapy!

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

Date: 5/5/12 9:38 PM

We have all been there at least once
Or twice.

------
Ada

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Subject: Need help with McCalls 6119 Date: 5/6/12 0:27 AM

Ok... finished the garment! Thanks to all who responded!

The review is posted!!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Need help with McCall's 6119

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Simplicity 2401

photo
by: Kiwi Natio...

Review
New Look 6723

photo
by: 3kids1036

Review
SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

SewBaby Fleece-Easy Baby Wardrobe Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Prairie Bonnet Pattern

SewBaby Prairie Bonnet Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.