SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Vogue 2903 Tips? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Vogue 2903 Tips?
sadluckdame
sadluckdame
Beginner
Iowa USA
Member since 5/5/12
Send Message

Date: 5/5/12 1:37 PM

Hi! I'm a beginner-- I started sewing just a few short weeks ago but have already made a floor-length convertible dress and two nice a-line skirts. I'm in love with 50s fashion and am finding that it's much easier (and cheaper) to make my own clothing, especially since I generally have to have extensive alterations done to any dress I buy.

I recently purchased Vogue pattern 2903 and hope to start working on it sometime in the near future. However, I read a Craftster post about this pattern that mentioned some difficulties due to the unusual sleeve construction, and now I'm a bit nervous. Does anyone have any tips for me? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you in advance!

Melody
starstar
Melody
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 2/7/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/5/12 1:55 PM

Hi and Welcome to the world of sewingCongratulations on completing some garments. That's a big deal.

On Vogue 2903, the pattern rating is average but if you feel like you can tackle it, more power to you. I caution you to make a test version (muslin) first. That way, you'll know if it's too complicated before you even have to concern yourself with the fashion fabric. I applaud the enthusiasm of new sewers and I am of the opinion that if you don't think a thing is beyond your abilities then you're probably right. Remain fearless.

With that said, you would be well served to read the reviews posted here on this site for additional guidance and sit down with the pattern instructions and read them from start to finish before you start the muslin If you need a good reference book, I'd choose the Vogue Sewing book (since this is a Vogue sewing pattern) which you can find used pretty easily. Also, that's why PR is here, there's hundreds of us who can help when/if you get stuck. Good Luck and Happy Sewing!

------
Melody

Ugh, really?

sadluckdame
sadluckdame
Beginner
Iowa USA
Member since 5/5/12
Send Message

Date: 5/5/12 2:07 PM

Thanks for your quick response! I'm considering skipping the box pleats to simplify things, though I'll have to see how the muslin mock up turns out.

I went ahead and read through most of the reviews on this site, and people seem to agree that the sleeve/yoke situation is a nightmare. Thankfully, I have a few aunts who know how to sew relatively well, so I'm not completely alone. I think my biggest challenge will be fitting it; I have wonky proportions. But it's a beautiful dress, and I think it'll be well worth the effort.

MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

Date: 5/5/12 4:08 PM

The PR reviews say, "Difficult, but great for advanced sewers".

You're brave. Good luck!

------
Barb
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison
"I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow." Woodrow Wilson

sadluckdame
sadluckdame
Beginner
Iowa USA
Member since 5/5/12
Send Message

In reply to MNBarb <<

Date: 5/5/12 4:33 PM

"Brave" is one word! I think "foolish" may be another, but I think I'll be okay if I take it slow and accept the fact that I'm going to make some mistakes along the way.

Vicsguy
star
Vicsguy
Advanced Beginner
Ohio USA
Member since 5/17/09
Send Message

Date: 5/6/12 9:21 AM

"Those who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed."
~ Lloyd Jones

MissLadyAudrey
star
MissLadyAudrey
Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 12/2/11
Send Message

In reply to sadluckdame <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/6/12 10:26 AM

I am so excited to hear about your project dress. I hope you keep us posted on your progress.

I just started sewing a few months ago - and, I'm so excited everytime I make something (even, if I can't wear it in public!). There's so much magic that happens when I turn on my sewing machine.

Stay Fearless!

------
Needles Up!
http://sewreinventedaudrey.blogspot.com/

MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

Date: 5/6/12 11:49 AM

Yes. If I sounded like I was discouraging you, I wasn't.

It's good to challenge yourself. It will be fun to watch your progress.

------
Barb
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison
"I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow." Woodrow Wilson

sadluckdame
sadluckdame
Beginner
Iowa USA
Member since 5/5/12
Send Message

Date: 5/6/12 12:32 PM

Well, I found Butterick #4760 (the walkaway dress) and have decided to perhaps try that out first, just so I have some dressmaking experience under my belt before taking on V2903.

I also finished (with the help of a patient husband) my duct tape dress form this morning, so fitting should be less of a pain.

Fictionfan
star
Fictionfan  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 5/19/06
Send Message

Date: 5/6/12 1:04 PM

Welcome to PR, sadluckdame!

You say that you have wonky proportions. The person who doesn't need to alter a pattern is rare indeed! Now would be a good time to invest in a fitting book. I haven't seen Sarah Veblen's new book on pattern alteration, but the photo guide may be really helpful to a new sewer, and it has been highly rated by experienced folks here. The most recommended book on PR is Fit For Real People. I found the first version for a low price on Amazon when the second edition came out, and coupons for 40%off at Joann's can get you a new copy of the current edition if you get their sales flyers. Sandra Betzina's Fast Fit, Nancy Zieman's pivot and slide technique (I can't recall the title of the book), various videos, and online resources are also good sources for learning how to fit a pattern. A general sewing book is a great addition, some would say essential necessity, to your sewing supplies, and should have information on fitting as well as the actual sewing techniques.

McCall's and Simplicity have lines of patterns that have fitting instructions and get you to a wearable garment. Vogue and Butterick have fitting shell patterns that don't get you a wearable garment but do give you a base garment that you use to adjust other patterns. For example, I always have to do a FBA for any bodice, a small amount of high hip adjustment on everything, and a low fanny/thin thigh adjustment when I make pants. For any particular pattern, I may have a few other changes to make, but I know, from having made fitting shells years ago before these fitting pattern lines were developed, that I will always have to make those adjustments.

And it was already said that reading the PR reviews can be extremely helpful, if the pattern has been reviewed, in identifying troublesome spots or steering you away from badly drafted or confusing patterns.

You mention Vintage Love. (You are not alone; there is help for your affliction. Heehee.) The Vintage contest just ended. Take a look at all the wonderful things people made. The Vogue and Butterick reprinted patterns have generally been written with modern construction techniques. A true vintage pattern might be quite different.

Regarding those box pleats, you probably should make them as pleats of some sort, as they are designed. A gathered skirt is harder to get looking good, IMO, and pleating helps the skirt lie flatter. I can't recall whose review it was that shows this issue with her muslin and her final dress, but if you can find it, the pictures say everything. It was during the vintage pattern contest, so should be something you can stumble across.

Have fun! Sewing is the best addiction!

------
Fictionfan

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Vogue 2903 Tips?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 309681-1001

photo
by: HelenM01

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2013-127

photo
by: Steph A

Review
Sewing Workshop Oasis Skirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Oasis Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
J Stern Designs The Tee Paper Pattern

J Stern Designs The Tee Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.