SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Machine Embroidery > Just bought a Brother PE770 ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Just bought a Brother PE770
Newbie here - Need thread, stabilizer, etc. recommendations
1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

Date: 5/7/12 0:23 AM

I just bought the Brother PE770 on Amazon for $569. They have it listed for $599, but there was some special offer/discount that was taken at the checkout.

I'm TOTALLY new to embroidery machines and have never done any embroidery before, but I've been sewing for years. After alot of research, I chose the Brother PE770 because it was a stand-alone machine, had the USB drive and the 5x7 hoop. I didn't want a low end machine, but since this is a new adventure for me, I didn't want to spend alot of money.

Anyway, since this is new, I have no supplies such as thread and stabilizer. Can anyone recommend some supplies that I absolutely need to get started. There is a thread collection by Polystar on Amazon that looks like a good deal...has about 63 spools for $120. Is this a good deal and is the thread good? I guess the color coding on this thread is compatible with the Brother machine. They also have another package on there that has some pre-wound bobbins and for $99 there is a package of hoops.

Also, if anyone can recommend what kind of stabilizer and bobbin thread I would appreciate it....actually, any recommendations would be helpful! Really looking forward to starting this new hobby!

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to 1975Jumby <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/7/12 12:16 PM

First, congratulations on the new machine. Embroidery machines are almost magical.

I do not recommend buying sets of thread as you usually end up with colors you will not use. Purchase as needed or begin with a few of the basic colors listed for the built-in designs.

Rayon is the most commonly found type of top thread. For children's garments and items that may come in contact with chlorine, polyester is recommended.

For bobbin thread, check the manual. Some of these machines require 90 wt (weight) bobbin thread. The bobbin thread is always lighter weight than the standard top thread weight of 40 wt.

It is very normal for the bobbin thread to be lighter in order to have less thread build-up under the fabric as well as the top thread needs to be pulled slightly to the bottom.

Pre-wounds are normally 60 wt.

You need no other hoops other than the ones that come with the machine.

The basic stabilizers are cut away, tear away, wash away and sticky back.

Embroidery Library has the best tutorials, tips and techniques. Here is the link to their site. The tutorial for saving and storing downloads is a number one priority!

When you get your machine, start with the manual. As you read, apply each step of every function. This does not take very long and is the best way to quickly learn how to use any machine.

ETA: I use one of these to keep my thread dust free and stabilizer sorted. Once out of the package it is a little difficult to tell which is cut away and which is tear away!

-- Edited on 5/7/12 1:09 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
Texas USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

Date: 5/7/12 3:17 PM

I agree with most of what Patti has said. The PE770 was my first embroidery machine, two years ago. If you can, I strongly suggest taking a stabilizer class. I did a 2-day workbook class within 2 weeks of buying my machine and have to say is was the best $75 I could have spent! I learned tons about my machine, embroidering, hooping, stabilizers, thread...you name it!

Regarding thread: prewound NEBs are my favorites for bobbins, and I use Poly-X almost exclusively. Over time I've acquired some Robison Anton rayon as well as Madeira, but my PE770 doesn't like the rayon as much as polyester thread. I have recurring problems with fraying. Here is a HUGE tip: every time you change upper thread, cut the thread at the spool and pull what's threaded out via the needle. This protects the thread sensors and will reduce headaches (and expensive trips to the shop) later. Anther tip is to use little girls' mini-scrunchies (from the dollar store) to secure thread to spools. As for colors, in the beginning I was so afraid of not using the exact same color called for in the design. I have since learned that substituting colors that are close or even stepping farther outside the box and changing some color combinations is ok and often quite satisfying!

Lastly, I often buy stabilizer off the bolt at Joann's. The name brand stabilizers are wonderful but also quite pricey (eg, Floriani, Sulky, etc.). You're about to embark on a grand adventure. Be brave and don't let little mishaps discourage you.

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

allycovey
star
allycovey  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/07
Send Message

Date: 5/7/12 3:49 PM

Actually I went to my babylock dealer and she got me going with the right threads and stabilbizers for the different projects I was doing. I like to use a topper also as it makes the design just look nicer especially on towels. I did get a thread set and the others here are correct I have many colors I probably won't use and the spools are small so I have already gone through all the ones I will use. Now to remember what they are when I am actually at the store

1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

Date: 5/7/12 6:21 PM

Thanks for all your help everyone...your tips are great! Before ordering any thread, I think I'll buy a spool or two at Joann's and stitch out a few designs tonight.

Also, can any of you tell me if you have any experience with Metro thread? Here is their link

Metro Thread

A couple of other forms recommended it and I was curious what some of you may think. It's cheaper than the Polystar thread sold on Amazon.

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 5/7/12 9:02 PM

Before spending a lot of money on stabilizers, you need to figure out what types of embroidery you're going to be doing.

Each type can require a different type of stabilizer, or if you're lucky, the same kinda!

But don't go and buy ALL THE KINDS just to have them as they can get quite pricey. At the minimum you should get some tear away just to play with it and then go from there based on your needs.

SCHMAMMY: were did you take this class??

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

srb5132
srb5132  Friend of PR
Member since 3/22/10
Send Message

Date: 5/14/12 1:05 PM

I have a PE770 and I have really enjoyed it. My machine (from Amazon) came with a package deal with the Polystar set of threads, a box of the prewound bobbins, and some samples of stabilizer.

The prewound bobbins are great. And even better...they work in my sewing machines as well. It is wonderful to be able to grab a new bobbin and just pop it in. Plus I get better results most of the time than with the bobbins I wind myself.

I will tell you though...I don't sweat the color codes. I look at the design and just get what is close. Plus...the beauty of embroidery is you can personalize everything. So if the design is telling you to do it in shades of green but you want to make something for someone who loves purple - you can!!!

allycovey
star
allycovey  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/07
Send Message

Date: 5/14/12 2:32 PM

I also discovered I don't have to make things by the color chart, I think it is funner to do things my own way.

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 5/14/12 7:50 PM

I bought this pack of 200 8"x8" sheets just so I'd have something in the house if I wanted to try something. Of course, this won't cover all the bases. There's an excellent book; Embroidery Machine Essentials that's been out for over 10 years and some still consider it their bible for embroidery.

1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

In reply to karen149 <<

Date: 5/14/12 8:50 PM

I bought the same type of stabilizer, but larger size. It just arrived last Friday and I used it. I liked it actually and the embroidery came out fine. It tears away very easy. Also, I ordered the Embroidery Machine Essentials and More Embroidery Machine Essentials along with Nancy Zieman's Machine Embroidery with Confidence.

At first glance, Nancy's book is pretty good and I've scanned through the other two. I think I like those a little better. They go into the ins and outs of what you need, tools, etc, just a little more than Nancy's books and it seems to explain things a little easier. Nancy's book has a lot of "side notes" on the pages and they're a tad distracting. Great information though.

As an update, I'll be returning my Brother PE770. My family and I planned on getting our mom a Babylock Ellure Plus for Mother's Day and I was the assigned shopper. Turns out she alrady bought one and we didn't know (found out before we bought her one, thank God). But I loved the model so much that I ended up purchasing one last Saturday. I loved the PE770 and since Babylock is made by them, it was no surprise the Ellure Plus did just as great a job.

However, over the weekend I got to thinking I'd rather buy the Ellageo Plus. My family has added four new babies this year alone and I there is a ton I can do with that machine. So, depending on the deal I get from the sewing shop, I'll have the Ellageo Plus, or keep my Ellure Plus purchase. I'll know tomorrow and will keep everyone updated. Fingers crossed....that Ellageo Plus is one sweet machine! But either way, I'm very excited.

-- Edited on 5/14/12 8:51 PM --

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> Just bought a Brother PE770

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Colette Patterns 0003

photo
by: MiniandMer...

Review
Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Beauty Case Pattern

You Sew Girl Beauty Case Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.