SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fitting Woes > Pants that FIT!!! ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pants that FIT!!!
Finally
Amy-may
star
Amy-may
Intermediate
IL USA
Member since 6/7/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/7/12 10:44 PM

Okay, I've made 5 pairs of pants in the last 2 weeks. The first two pair I pulled the zippers back out and threw them away. Made changes to pattern and tried again. The third pair is still sitting here, but not hemmed, traced pattern and tweaked. Fourth pair, bought fabric Saturday, washed it, sewed them and WORE THEM OUT OF THE HOUSE by Sunday afternoon. Hmmm, the legs don't hang straight, re-trace pattern and realign legs. Fifth pair, started last night (went to bed at 2:30am) finished just now - and they fit! And the little pinstripes are all hanging straight, all the way down my leg. Making just one tiny tweak to the pattern. WHOO HOO!

I have struggled with pants fitting for years, but I've never been happy enough with my results to cut into good fabric. And I've not felt confident that my fitting was good enough for public wear. (Which is a little silly, RTW pants don't ever fit me very well....) I Glad Wrap copied this pair from a Suit Studio pair of slacks that are my best fitting pair. I've slimmed the legs to make a more casual fit, making the legs wider is easy.

I'm sure DH is tired of analyzing the wrinkles on my rearand now I must maintain my weight and shape FOREVER

lyndle
star
lyndle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 3/19/06
Send Message

Date: 5/7/12 11:04 PM

Yay!!! Well done!! Pictures?

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
WY USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 5/7/12 11:09 PM

It is so worthwhile to get this right. You now have a base that you can use over and over. It is so satisfying. Good girl!!!!

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

Amy-may
star
Amy-may
Intermediate
IL USA
Member since 6/7/05
Send Message

Date: 5/7/12 11:43 PM

I need to trace a white pinstipe on the side with a washable marker and take pictures. I love the idea of striped capri pants, but I think the distortion of the stripe over the hips would just scream....baby got back!

Have to get pics tomorrow in the daylight.

quathy
star
quathy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 6/3/06
Send Message

Date: 5/7/12 11:53 PM

congratulations! ... and really? only 5 pairs? that's awesome! I keep making pants, I'm up to umpteen something by now, I'm sure, and still am not happy with the legs. I don't have an RTW that I like enough to copy, either. But hoping that soon I'm going to join you in the happy pants parade!

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

In reply to Amy-may <<

Date: 5/8/12 0:01 AM

Way to go Amy-may. I have had a TNT pants pattern for about a year now. It is so nice to know that I can make pants whenever I want.

------
Ada

Amy-may
star
Amy-may
Intermediate
IL USA
Member since 6/7/05
Send Message

In reply to quathy <<

Date: 5/8/12 0:11 AM

Oh, only 5 pairs this go around! After 3 or 4 pairs....on a semi-annual attempt, I generally give up. Every spring, I figure I can surely whip up some capri pants. But, then they don't fit quite right... I got shorts to look nice one year, but when I lengthened the leg it all fell apart. The grainlines were all wonky and the legs wouldn't hang straight.

And every fall I think I can surely figure this out and I try some more. But it's always been a fail - and I just wear ill-fitting RTW jeans and give up.

I figured out several things working on Jalie jeans this winter, some of which transfered to slacks. But, it's one thing to wear snug jeans that are using that lycra content. Not a good look to be using the stretch in slacks!

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
TX USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

Date: 5/8/12 10:05 AM

Thank you for the inspiration to keep trying! I am knee-deep (ha ha) in pants fitting these days also. A TNT would be heaven.

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

KensingtonCrab
KensingtonCrab
Advanced Beginner
SC USA
Member since 2/13/09
Send Message

Date: 5/8/12 10:35 AM

How do you Glad Wrap? Lay the wrap over a pair that fits well and trace? Very clever!

Schammy, you mentioned on another thread the fit issues you were having. I hope you've made progress since!

------
Carpe diem!

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to Amy-may <<

Date: 5/8/12 10:41 AM

Good for you! I went through the same thing in the fall. When I was younger I could just pick a pattern and sew it up. I had at least 5 wadders but I think I now have a pattern that will work too. I went through the same thing. What worked for me was adding alot (4" ) to the crotch extension along with a wedge in the front to compensate for my middle age middle I have going on. The last pair had the grain off just a tad too.
Now you will never have to buy another pair of ill fitting RWT pants unless you want to!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Pants that FIT!!!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

New Look 6752

photo
by: lovenicky

Review
Perfect Pouches

Perfect Pouches

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Ann's Cardigan & Tank

Sewing Workshop Ann's Cardigan & Tank

Buy Now
LaFred 112

photo
by: Margaret

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.