SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Dress forms ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Dress forms
My Twin VS Fabulous Fit
knitstitcher
star
knitstitcher  Friend of PR
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 8/17/10
Send Message

Date: 5/8/12 12:24 PM

I have decided that it's time to get a dress form. I've been reading the 35 page post in the knowledge base regarding them and how to pad them out. I came across a post that mentioned "My Twin" http://www.mytwindressforms.com/
Has anyone tried this yet? I'm curious how well it works. It's a do-it-yourself kit. I like the idea of a perfect form......just not sure how well it works. I'm on the fence between this one and the Fabulous Fit. My only concern with FF is that I am tall (5'10") with a long waist and I'm not sure I can get the correct waist length measurement with FF. My shoulder to waist measurement is between 18 and 19 inches. That is measured from my shoulder, going right over my bust down to my true waist. (kind of like a princess seam) My back waist length from base of neck to waist is 18 1/2" . Im using my measurements taken from the Bernina My Label program. OR.....is this measurement even important?????
-- Edited on 5/8/12 12:26 PM --

------
Lorri
Bernina Artista 730,Babylock Journey, Babylock Evolution, Singer 201-2

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to knitstitcher <<

Date: 5/8/12 2:12 PM

The 'My Twin' owner is not far from where I live, so I saved my pennies and had the custom form done. Although I am not as tall as you, I have some very non-standard figure characteristics, including broad but sloping shoulders, which cannot be duplicated at all well by most commercial dressforms.

I am beyond pleased with my plaster cast double. That baby has MY shoulders, and since garments hang from there, that's important. She is me.

And yes, your back and front waist length really matter; they are essential for a well-fitting bodice. This dimension is one that is hard to duplicate with most commercial dressforms.

As I recall, several people here have done the do-it-yourself kit version of the My Twin. It's odd that their descriptions did not turn up in your search.

However, do not overlook the paper tape dressform. It is inexpensive and many here are very pleased with it. Take a look here.
-- Edited on 5/8/12 4:32 PM --

knitstitcher
star
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 8/17/10
Send Message

In reply to Elona <<

Date: 5/8/12 8:48 PM

Elona....you'll have to humor me here. Is this dress form "soft"? I don't know how else to ask that. Can you pin garments to her? I've seen the standard forms in Joann's and Hancock's and the dritz forms are hard plastic and you cannot pin to it. I also read that the form should be somewhat soft to allow for ease....like our own bodies. I love the idea of the my twin, but I'll have to solicit DH to do the plastering. Could be fun How hard was it finding the foam and was it a difficult process filling it? Cost of foam? Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate any information.
Lorri
-- Edited on 5/8/12 9:48 PM --

------
Lorri

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to knitstitcher <<

Date: 5/9/12 1:55 AM

This is a hard-ish dress form. It is not soft, though since it is expanded foam, you can jab pins into it. Frankly, I've never found that to be terribly important: I didn't pin to myself before I had a dressform, either. I put the pattern or the muslin together and drape it onto the form, as I would onto myself. As for the importance of ease, I fit the pattern to fit 'her' just as I would fit it on my own body, but then, I don't make skating or gymnastic clothing, so cinching a garment smaller than I am during fitting has never been an issue.

The distinctive thing about the My Twin is that it duplicates my own figure and stance absolutely. I know how a top or dress is going to look on my very body before I cut into my good fabric, and more than once, it has saved me from making a garment that was totally unsuitable for me.

As I mentioned, I hired the My Twin owner to tape me; I did not do it myself. But here is a link to how it is done. This shows very well how it duplicates the victim's body.

Here is another description of the process.

And yet another.

If you google 'make plaster dress form,' you will find a LOT of online guides to the process.

KD in ATL

KD in ATL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 4/21/08
Send Message

Date: 5/9/12 10:57 AM

A number of us in an ASG Neighborhood group did the plaster/foam forms. We certainly learned a lot in the process! One thing I will say, even though this process duplicates your shape and particular ideosyncrasies, you WILL end up with a form that is bigger than you are. I think that comes from the slight amount of movement that occurs as someone plasters you, from breathing, and then also from the fact that real bodies are soft, and this form will be hard.

I love having my form, but I am planning to shave it down somewhat and then pad back up to fill a moulage cover.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to KD in ATL <<

Date: 5/9/12 11:33 AM

It is true that with any of the wrapped types of forms, you do
wind up with a form a bit larger than yourself. I think this is due to two factors: One is the simple fact that by wrapping you are adding layers to yourself; the other is that most prople cannot stand being wrapped tightly.

The expandable foam forms have the advantage in this department that you can file them down. I did that with a coarse rasp until mine had my precise dimensions.

I have read that you can slice the tape forms, dart out the extra fullness, and tape the cut edges back together.
-- Edited on 5/9/12 11:34 AM --

mamafitz
starstarstar
mamafitz
Wisconsin USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 5/9/12 2:42 PM

i have a my twin dress form that i made with some friends oh, 8 or 9 years ago (maybe even 10?). i love it. yes, it ends up bigger than you (from moving and breathing), but filing it down to size is easy. i LOVE that it is truly me, my posture, my shoulders, my post-three babies belly.

it's a longish process, though. i didn't mind, but don't think you are going to get a body double in a weekend. it was probably 6 weeks or so for me. things have to dry or cure, and sometimes finding time wasn't easy so i wouldn't work on it right away.

------
Linda

Girls do not dress for boys. They dress for themselves, and of course, each other. If girls dressed for boys, theyd just walk around naked at all times.
-- Betsey Johnson

http://mamafitz.blogspot.com

knitstitcher
star
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 8/17/10
Send Message

Date: 5/9/12 7:31 PM

Thank you all for piping in. I appreciate all the information. Lots to consider for the my twin. Maybe this would be a good project for when my girls come to visit. I do have a big bathroom.....So there's lots of room for us to plaster! Maybe a little wine on the side would make for a fun girls night IN!
-- Edited on 5/9/12 7:32 PM --

------
Lorri

knitstitcher
star
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 8/17/10
Send Message

Date: 5/12/12 8:19 AM

I've been doing more reading and researching and I'm not sure I want to tackle the 'my twin' project. Just being lazy I guess and not sure DH would want to participate. Are there any tall women out there with 5'10"-5'11" frame who have had good luck fitting the back waist measurement? I'm tall and thin. I know I will have to pad it out and I assume I'll have to buy a smaller size to accommodate for the waist being lower on the model. I just re measured and my back waist is 18".

------
Lorri

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 5/12/12 10:30 AM

I'm on the tall side and the thin side. lol My back neck to waist measurement is 20 and my inseam is 33, so long in the top and bottom. A few years ago I purchased a PGM dress form and I love it. It's covered in linen so you can pin to it, and it has collapsible shoulders. I usually wear an 8 - 10 so I got a size 10 form. It works fine for me but I try things on at each step of construction.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Dress forms

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Simplicity 2175

photo
by: Gatorbunny

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2012-128

photo
by: guineveres...

Review
THE COLLARS - A CD Book by Kenneth King

THE COLLARS - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop MixIt Shirt, Top & Tank Pattern

Sewing Workshop MixIt Shirt, Top & Tank Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.