SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Web site Talk > Why is the Vogue Fabrics site so slow? ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Why is the Vogue Fabrics site so slow?
Takes so loooong to shop!
Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

Date: 5/10/12 1:49 PM

I'm putting a few things in my cart at Vogue FabricsVogue Fabrics and it is taking forever. Browsing is the same for the individual fabric photo pages and it's nothing new for their site, just wanted to vent today.

I see my browser's little wait thing spinning on the Vogue Fabrics tab in the background as I type this. What the heck? Don't they want us to buy? How much patience will it take? I do have other things to do today for goodness sake.

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Sewliz <<

Date: 5/10/12 5:01 PM

I'm using Firefox, Liz, and it's eager to take my order. Not slow at all here.

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

In reply to Elona <<

Date: 5/10/12 6:58 PM

I use Safari and had a flash of hope and opened Firefox, but no, same slowness. I downloaded the latest version of Firefox, no improvement. My internet is fast enough, my mac mini processes every other fabric site quickly. When I just now tried to put something in the cart at Vogue Fabrics in Firefox it took about 40 seconds to go to the cart page.

I seldom order from Vogue Fabrics but they have some things that seem just right for a project so I stuck with it and ordered a few back issues of the fabric club swatch things. Maybe I should just plan to do other things like update my neglected blog or even write a review here on PR while waiting for Vogue Fabric's site to do something.

------
Liz

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to Sewliz <<

Date: 5/11/12 6:53 PM

Badly designed website? I hate their website and always have issues with it so I never buy anything from them.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

simplystitches
simplystitches
New York USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

Date: 5/11/12 10:31 PM

I thought it was something on my end. Wait, let me back up.I ordered some samples from Vogue last night and the same thing. The site was as slow as molasses!

It almost pains me to think of how long it will take to complete an order if I like the samples!

Debie

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Sewliz <<

Date: 5/13/12 4:38 PM

It could be buggy, but I don't know. But what I do know is when going to your posted link, and using Modzilla firefox to do that, then looking at the coding for their website, it caused my browser to hang and lock up.

I just controlled/alt out of there, and shut down the browser more manual.

Since I kinda wondered why, I went to see what was running in my computer just at that moment. I can do that, because I have a special program that tracks those kinds of things for me. I noticed at that particular period in time, right about when I heard my hard drive spinning in a way I did not particular like just then, at that URL,
wmiprv.exe and wvauclt.exe were running. Even though those can be normal windows host process files, they can also not be sometimes, if named the same, but not really in the same correct directory.

Because of that, and just because I could, I then just quickly reverted my computer to a time a few minutes before all that happened to occur. So no matter, if I picked up some "fake"
wmiprv.exe and wvauclt.exe files there or not (and I really don't know) even if so, they are no longer in my computer at all.

But, because of that, I think probably no reason for hundreds of people to all go to the URL you listed, just for the heck of it or just as lookie loos or anything, particular if you have no intention of even buying any fabric online just right then at all.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 5/13/12 4:54 PM

replying to myself here, but I think it goes beyond net manners, for me to have to go back there again and see if they have a email address or anything for me to be nice enough to let them know, in case they wish to check their website. So, I'm just not going to do that.

Just because, if it happened to me again while doing that, I probably could just still revert my computer back in time maybe. But maybe not too, because the way I choose to revert my computers back in time, just very quick and easy, when I do that, takes up a lot of hard drive space, and memory, and I'm not sure I how many times in a short space of time, I would have the allotted space to do that.

But maybe they will read it here or something, and check it out, if they really want to.

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

Date: 5/13/12 11:03 PM

I hope they do come here and read all about it! They are really quite responsive and caring human beings at Vogue Fabrics but their web site is pretty sorry.

It seems like a couple of years ago they improved their site some...imagine it being even worse, lol. Today I found this on their new page they put up for the Summer 2012 swatch club catalog:

"We are experiencing some issues with our site. We recommend you use Firefox or Safari for ordering on-line as Google Chrome and some versions of Internet Explorer are not compatible at this time. You can please your order by phone weekdays from 9:00-5:00 central time at 800-433-4313. You can also email your order (without payment) to voguefabrics@sbcglobal.net, and we will email you or phone you when your order is ready for payment. We hope to have the site issues resolved by early to mid-June."

Pretty sad situation in this day and age of online fabric shopping. On the bright side, they have a gorgeous looking brick and mortar store in Evanston, IL. Carolyn of Diary of a Sewing Fanatic visited recently and posted some photos in this blog post.

I wonder why Elona got special treatment with the website being eager to take her order. Not fair when the rest of us suffer greatly for only a swatch.

------
Liz

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

Date: 5/15/12 12:54 PM

My swatch cards arrived yesterday morning. Their service and shipping is much faster than their website.

------
Liz

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
Illinois USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 5/15/12 7:39 PM

When I read about your problems with the website, I had to chuckle and thought to myself, "That's just like their store employees!" They are notoriously prickly and unhelpful and give the impression that customers are bothering them. Numerous online reviews have brought attention to their poor service over the years, but mgmt doesn't seem to care. I worry about ordering online from their site because our security software identifies the site as risky, so I make the 2-hour trek to their Evanston store several times a year.

And I wouldn't call the Vogue Fabrics store beautiful...their fabrics, yes, but the store itself is well overdue for a facelift, not to mention a good cleaning. However, they do take good care of the fabrics. The selection of fabrics, notions, and patterns is unsurpassed in Chicago, so I keep going!!

------
A balanced diet is a cupcake in each hand.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Web site Talk >> Why is the Vogue Fabrics site so slow?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Simplicity 1717

photo
by: Sandi S

Review
Kwik Sew 2891

photo
by: HolleyM

Review
Favorite Things Little Smartie Pants Pattern

Favorite Things Little Smartie Pants Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Tulip Dress Pattern

You Sew Girl Tulip Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.