SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Miscellaneous > Working at home ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Working at home
Tips and suggestions please
Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
Montana USA
Member since 3/27/08
Send Message

Date: 5/10/12 8:57 PM

I am relocating to a new state and was looking for a job. Well I found a good job that allows me to work from anywhere! How awesome is that! It's a real 8 - 5 kind of thing though and I have to be available during business hours. I might be able to squeeze in a quick load of wash but not much more according to my new boss who has been doing this awhile.

So anyone work like this from home? I've read some blogs and articles but would love some real world suggestions. I have a 10 year who will be at school most of the day but the first couple weeks he may be around some. I'm thinking day camp for those times.

I'm planning on starting my day like I would to actually go to work...shower, dress, etc. then go shut myself in the basement. I will have an office in the finished basement.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I have done some work at home but not ALL my work at home before.

------
http://kimsewsilly.blogspot.com/

dresscode

dresscode  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 7/28/04
Send Message

Date: 5/10/12 10:14 PM

That is great! My suggestion is to set some boundaries on your lunch hour. Let them know you will be taking a lunch break from x to y and stick to it....that will give you a chance to run to the local lunch spot and be around other people for a bit.

Also, make sure family members, if applicable, know that you have to work.

Best wishes with your new job.

Sarsez
star
Sarsez
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 7/2/09
Send Message

Date: 5/10/12 10:30 PM

Definitely the hardess thing I found with working from home is convincing my family that I'm actually working, not available for chats or doing house hold chores like cooking dinner.
If I could, I would get dressed in a "work uniform" and then when I finished work, get changed into home clothes.

------
24th Nov 12 to 28th Nov 13
Fabric and patterns rules for me.
Remember to shop your stash girl!
Remember to keep sewing to your wardrobe plan!

michelle_01
star
michelle_01
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 3/23/04
Send Message

In reply to Kim12469 <<

Date: 5/10/12 10:37 PM

I was going to say boundaries also. Mot neccesarily with work, but with people in your life. I found the hardest thing about working at home was that everyone thinks you're just at home. People want to stop by, ask for favors, etc. Just make sure that when you are working, treat it like work, and make sure others respect that. You will also have to train your kid. They are notorious for thinking you are "just at home." It might take a little time, but stay firm and they will catch on.

I've also found that setting a place aside for work helps also. When I am at work, I am at my desk, or other work area, working. It's very tempting to work all over the house, but it blurs the boundaries of when you are working and when you are "off" too much. You still need to separate your work life and home life for your sanity.

Another thing, I stopped telling people that I work from home. I just tell them what I do in very boring and general terms- and I don't mention home at all. For some reason, when people find out you work from home, you get so many questions. And some are very intrusive questions that you really shouldn't even ask a person. I've seriously had people ask me, do I make a living doing what I do and how much do I make.

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 5/10/12 11:06 PM

I've worked from home for 6+ years now. Everyone is different but I don't bother with the whole hair, appropriate dress and makeup thing. Basic hygiene is enough. It's time I can be sleeping or doing chores. Taking time for lunch is important. Can't tell you how many times its been 2 pm and haven't eatened. You lose your sense of time. I don't answer the door for solictitors. Again a waste of time. It does take a conscious effort to keep in touch with the company. You don't have those water cooler chats with co-workers. Good luck on your new job.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

lareine
star
lareine  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 11/10/06
Send Message

Date: 5/11/12 0:46 AM

I had to work from home for nine months after we had a major earthquake in 2011 and my office didn't open again for a year. Setting boundaries was the biggest challenge. My colleagues seemed to think it was okay to call me at home ANY time, even on my days off (I work part-time) because they now had my home number. I had to be quite firm with them and let them know I wouldn't be doing their work until I was "back at work".

In order to be productive, I got fully dressed to shoes and did my hair before I sat down at my desk. That put me in the right mindset for work. On the few days where I didn't get properly dressed straight away, I didn't do any real work until nearly lunchtime!

Taking time to meet your workmates in person every now and again is very important, if you are able to do it. Strong social bonds make it much easier to work together from different locations.

Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
Montana USA
Member since 3/27/08
Send Message

Date: 5/11/12 9:52 AM

Thank you all! I am most worried about the boundaries from my son. You know, him home from school at 3 wanting me but me having to work until 5. Maybe I can try to plan in like a 15 minute break when he gets home, see how is day was, etc. Then I can get back to work.

This is a quasi sales job/account manager type job so I am going to be on the phone a lot, conf calls, web conf, etc. I won't be able to be interrupted a lot.

At first I was worried about no in person interaction with people but I think I am going to get my fill of talking and being personable without needing to get out. I am an extrovert by nature so being around people is important to me. I think the phone stuff will be plenty though.

Now though I don't know what to do with all my great office clothes I've sewn ! Plus I need to figure out what to sew now if I'm not sewing office wear!

------
http://kimsewsilly.blogspot.com/

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

In reply to Kim12469 <<

Date: 5/11/12 10:22 AM

I have two friends that work from home and one of them knits during conference calls. If you have any mindless hand sewing now you will have time to do that, lol.

A 15 minute break when your son comes home for talk and hugs sounds like a great plan to me. Then he will probably appreciate having a little alone time to unwind after a day at school. Kids at 10 are incredibly competent your son can enjoy being an important contributing family member by being the one to set the table for dinner for example, get things ready for when you finish work. If he feels he is working alongside you by prepping for the next phase of the day he should be much less likely to interrupt you.

Good luck with your new job situation!

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

In reply to Kim12469 <<

Date: 5/11/12 2:37 PM

What to sew? There are lots of casual wear options. I'm usually in yoga pants and knit tees. Maybe an easy slip on dress. Getting dressed quickly and being comfortable are high priorities for me.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

In reply to michelle_01 <<

Date: 5/11/12 5:08 PM

Quote: michelle_01
I've also found that setting a place aside for work helps also. When I am at work, I am at my desk, or other work area, working. It's very tempting to work all over the house, but it blurs the boundaries of when you are working and when you are "off" too much. You still need to separate your work life and home life for your sanity.

I'm an author, so I don't have set working hours like you will, but I have to agree with this one 100%!! (Although, um, I don't actually manage it. Sigh.) I used to write in my bedroom, but too many stressful deadlines caused insomnia, so I put an end to that! If you can, confine your office to a single room, and shut the doors at the end of the day.

Good luck!

(I think the 15 min "coffee break" with your son sounds awesome. You'd probably be taking one in an office anyway! If the weather's nice, you could use the time to take a quick walk around the block. It can help stave off afternoon sleepiness... not to mention the other hazards of a sedentary, at-home job!)

------
~Gem in the prairie

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Working at home

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

SewBaby Petal Jacket Pattern

SewBaby Petal Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Women's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Women's Classic Sport Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 12-2012-104

photo
by: carolineG

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.