SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > binder attachment ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
binder attachment
type of binder for Bernina
Sharon Rose
Sharon Rose  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Indiana USA
Member since 3/10/11
Send Message

Date: 5/14/12 10:55 AM

I am new to machine quilting and am looking to purchase an attachment to apply binding to my quilts. I have a Bernina 180E. The bernina internet site shows 2 types of feet that are available. I have also seen attachments available on Ebay that attach to the machine bed that can be used to apply binding. I am confused and would like advise on which route I should go. Foot vs. attachment? Does one do a better job than the other? And if purchasing the foot is suggested over the attachment, which of the Bernina feet works better? My experience in the past has been that the correct tool can make a big difference in quality outcome.

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Sharon Rose <<

Date: 5/14/12 1:48 PM

I have the #88 binder. The thing is, you have to also buy the #95 foot to use it. There is not just a foot that does the binding. The former binders have gotten lots of criticism, but not this new one. It has a swing away feature, and works like a charm!
You cut your fabric at 1.5 inches wide, so it is slightly wider than previous models. You just have to make sure, as with any binder attachment, that you starch your strips, and zig zag the edges of your project to flatten down those edges.

Also make sure you really push it into the binder, otherwise you will come out with the binding barely attached to the quilt.
Now, I have not mastered how to miter the edges, so I usually only use it for things where I don't mind just turning down the corners to the opposite side. There is a way to miter, but I haven't learned that yet.
I just cut the 4 trailing binding tapes on an angle to avoid any fraying, and hand stitch them down. I found using fray check made them too stiff to be able to hand sew them down afterwards.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Kayabunga
Kayabunga  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 1/21/10
Send Message

Date: 5/15/12 9:35 AM

First let me confess that I've only dinked around with binder attachments (and I do think they're fab for some things but they also seem to have some very inconvenient limitations) ... but I have sewn a gazillion bindings onto quilts using only my machine and walking foot or 1/4" foot. I think you will be much happier and get better results sewing the bindings onto your quilt without the binder attachment. You have so much more control when it's just you and your machine plus mitering the corners is a cinch when you can see what you're doing. If the binder is singing its siren song because it promises to eliminate any hand sewing ... I don't have time to do that either, well ... except for the most special projects ... so I use "Unique Stitch" fabric glue instead of hand stitching the binding to the back side of the quilt. After machine stitching the binding to the front of the quilt, turn quilt over so back is facing you and the binding is sticking out past quilt edge. Carefully dot the glue (small dots, close together) just on the seam allowance very close to the stitching that attached the binding to the front. Fold the binding over encasing raw edge of quilt, just covering stitching line (and glue dots) and then press binding in place with a steam iron to "fix" the glue, this will make it stick instantly. Work in small sections. Yes, I do know the glue instructions tell you not to use an iron until it's dry but I've had stellar results and this has been my MO for more than a few years. HTH ... a girl's gotta keep her options open ...

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Kayabunga <<

Date: 5/15/12 10:21 AM

Now that's interesting! Glue and no second line of stitching?
There is also a You tube video from one of the celebrity quilters on binding using glue, but I think she sews again anyway.
The cool thing about the new Bernina binder is the swing away feature, so for the first time you can see what you are doing. Makes things much easier. I need to play more to see how to do the mitered corners. If I can master that, I'm home free.
OTOH, I really don't mind hand stitching either!

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

Sharon Rose
Sharon Rose  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Indiana USA
Member since 3/10/11
Send Message

Date: 5/15/12 11:00 PM

interesting comments. Gives me some things to think about. Not sure I will buy a binder, just investigating. I have stiched by hand in the past, but was looking how I could save time. I appreciate each of your comments.

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 5/16/12 0:36 AM

I will wait to see my dealer actually demo the attachment before I get the one Mary has. My dealer just hired a real whiz at all this stuff. I manage with poking and prodding to do a respectable binding but could use more help as well.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

Michele Lommasson
star
Michele Lommasson  Friend of PR
Advanced
New Mexico USA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 5/17/12 11:54 PM

I love the Bernina binder attachment. I have four, two of the old style, two of the new style. The new style, the 88, is fabulous (I'd choose the 38mm if you are getting only one). You can fold the end under, feed it through the binder and sew it down with the binder. It looks quite nice. Mitering the corners is not hard to master.
Here's the kicker: most, but not all, people seem to want someone to instruct them in binder use. That is one of my jobs where I work (I am the binder queen). If you are not a self-starter, then you might not want to take the binder home unless there is someone to instruct you. If you are adventurous, you can figure out on your own. It is a beautifully made tool and great fun to use.
My one nit-picky thing is this: I wish the foot had a transparent center to make it easier to see when joining the binding ends. Sometimes I use my transparent 34 foot for that on my 9mm Bernina (it's not quite as long as the 95 foot, but it seems to work for me). On the 5.5mm machines, some of my students have had luck using an altered 34 foot with a notch dremmeled out of it (the 95 for the 5.5 mm machines has a little notch on the side of the foot to accommodate the binder). I hope this is not too much information.

------
Michele Lommasson

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to Michele Lommasson <<

Date: 5/18/12 9:45 AM

Yes, I think there are tricks to use the binder properly and it can be frustrating if you don't know those tricks. It is the dealer who needs to have someone like you on hand to help learn how to work this gizmo.

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 5/19/12 11:04 PM

They were just talking about this on the Bernina yahoo group. This book was recommended for learning tricks of binding using a binder -- and how to miter the corners. I am ordering it! I simply can never go to my dealer's for classes. Taking the software classes is enough time off work.
If I can master the mitering, then I'm set. Binder 88 is really easy to use otherwise.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch <<

Date: 5/20/12 11:01 AM

Thanks, put it on my wish list.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> binder attachment

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Online Class
Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Class Details

New Look 6025

photo
by: e84lt

Review
Summer Tote

Summer Tote

More Info
Sew Chic Knapsack Pattern (ln100)

Sew Chic Knapsack Pattern (ln100)

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.