Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Creative Sewing > Anxiety shirts for dogs ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Anxiety shirts for dogs
Any recommendations for sewing my own?
newmama
star
newmama
Intermediate
SC USA
Member since 6/28/09
Login to reply to this post

Date: 5/17/12 9:43 AM

My MIL called me this morning and asked if I could help her make a thundershirt for her dog. She is going to need to board him for a few days and thought it might help with his anxiety (plus he gets anxious with thunder/bad weather).

They sound similar to swaddles for newborns. I had never heard of them before, but apparently they are successful for about 80% of dogs. Here is a link to see more about them: ThunderShirts. If you scroll to the bottom, you can see how it goes on the dog (basically, it's velcroed around their belly and chest).

She's on a tight budget so we are going to try to make one and see how it does. I was thinking about making one out of a sturdy knit, to make it snuggle like a swaddle. The website says it's made of a durable, washable, breathable material.

Has anyone ever tried to make one of these before? Does anyone have any suggestions for materials?

TIA,
angie

------
angie
http://danikate-designs.blogspot.com/

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08

In reply to newmama <<

Date: 5/17/12 12:26 PM

Just bumped two posts on weighted blankets. Hope there is something helpful to you in those posts,

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02

Date: 5/17/12 1:20 PM

The website is pretty vague about the fabric, but it looks like some type of cotton knit. For my prototype I would start with some old T-shirts.
I understand the use of velcro, and they mention cleaning the dog hair out of it, there's a little gadget called 'grip clean' a velcro cleaner, that would be useful. I have one that I use on my husband's uniform pockets,

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

gramma b
star
gramma b
Advanced
USA
Member since 7/25/08

Date: 5/17/12 3:28 PM

A vet tech relative gave me one for my nervous Yorkie. She hides behind the toilet for thunder and all those !!%%$$ fireworks coming up.
The fabric is a nice DOUBLED stretchy knit like yoga pants or sweatshirt fabric so for a small dog, you could use an old pair or cut up some Danskins from WM.

Basically shaped like a dog coat, you could copy a free pattern online or in the pet store, but the under-stomach part should be *longer to wrap around halfway up the other side.

If in a hurry, you might not need the neck part, just cover from neck to tail, like wrapping one of those stretchy gauze ankle supports around--come to think of it, get a package of that in the drugstore and try it out--I think they come with the butterfly clip fasteners. Wrap tightly and see if it calms her.

The velcro strips on the XSm are 5 1/2" long on both sides to be adjustable so you can fasten (think squeeeze!) around her for a sense of security. That little extra pocket flap keeps the fur away from the velcro.

When I board my dog, I sleep in an old T the night before and take it with her pillow to the place so she can "sleep" with her mom's scent!
-- Edited on 5/17/12 3:56 PM --

newmama
star
newmama
Intermediate
SC USA
Member since 6/28/09

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 5/23/12 8:02 PM

A belated thank you to all who replied. I'm going to make a prototype out of t-shirts and was able to borrow one of the shirts in order to trace it and mark the velcro positions.

I'm hoping to make one for my mom and send it as well--her poor dog is so scared when the barometric pressure changes and shakes like a leaf. She's also very anxious about being left on her own and has become the baby of the house since I moved out (many years ago)

------
angie

Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
MT USA
Member since 3/27/08

Date: 5/23/12 9:11 PM

I posted photos of our thundershirt awhile back on here. There was a thread in misc about it if you search for "thundershirt.". I think a heavier pointe knit would work well for it. I haven't seen any cotton knit as thick as the thundershirt.

------
http://kimsewsilly.blogspot.com/

DolphinDancer30

DolphinDancer30  Friend of PR
Advanced
TN USA
Member since 9/9/03

Date: 5/24/12 3:05 PM

I use thundershirts for my dogs. It works well for my aussie mix female who gets carsick. When wearing the shirts, the are calmer on leash. I suppose I should use the thundershirts for other occasions besides walks and car trips, because they see the shirt and get excited about the outing, which kinda cancels out the calming effect.

While velcro is convenient, you might want to consider another kind of closure if your dog has thick and/or long fur. I usually manage to get fur caught in the velcro.

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
TX USA
Member since 12/5/06

In reply to newmama <<

Date: 5/24/12 8:34 PM

My four-legged son, a min pin named Bronx, is definitely a thundershirt candidate! I'm quite interested in your progress, so please post results. You've inspired me.

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
MT USA
Member since 3/27/08

Date: 5/24/12 8:46 PM

I found the thread. I was on my iPad before. Here it is in case anyone wants to see a Thundershirt and doesn't have access to one. The photos are there in my message.

Thundershirt Photos

------
http://kimsewsilly.blogspot.com/

newmama
star
newmama
Intermediate
SC USA
Member since 6/28/09

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 9/1/12 8:58 AM

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributed their thoughts and ideas. I did end up making a Thundershirt out of old t-shirts. I traced a borrowed version, cut out two pieces, then sewed them right sides together, flipped them right side out, topstitched with a twin needle and added the velcro.

I was able to fit one of the pieces for a medium sized shirt on a men's XXXL, and pieced together the bottom layer from a women's shirt. (The seams are where the tabs that wrap around the middle meet the body).

I'm going to make another version for my MIL for Christmas, out of a camouflage knit--1 yd of 60 inch material should be plenty for this size. I'm going to embroider Norman's name on the flap that starts on his back (and covers up the unused side velcro).

I'm also going to make a girlie version for my mom's dog, who should also fit a medium. I will post a review later this year when I get nicer versions made, but here is a link to my blog post about the wearable muslin:
♥daniKate designs♥ - Anxiety Shirt (for dogs)

------
angie

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Anxiety shirts for dogs

Merchants on PR
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Fit the Tee to a T
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Fit the Tee to a T

Online Sewing Classes
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Simplicity 7182
photo
Review by javamommyo... on 5/1/10
Read Review

PerfectFuseTailorUltra White
PerfectFuseTailorUltra White

Details
Price: $12.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sewing Workshop Tamari Apron Pattern
Sewing Workshop Tamari Apron Pattern

Details
Price: $8.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Liesl + Co. Weekend getaway blouse + dress Digital Pattern
Liesl + Co. Weekend getaway blouse + dress Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $12.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Cake Patterns Tiramisu Knit Dress Digital Pattern
Cake Patterns Tiramisu Knit Dress Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $13.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue Patterns 1329 Misses Dress
photo
Review by SewLuva on 6/25/13
Read Review

Simplicity 5785 Pattern( Size ONE SIZE )
Simplicity 5785 Pattern( Size ONE SIZE )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 8820 Pattern ( Size XSM-SML-MED )
Vogue 8820 Pattern ( Size XSM-SML-MED )

Details
Price: $27.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN