SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > What kind of fabric for summer slacks and shorts? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What kind of fabric for summer slacks and shorts?
Where to purchase?
halleyscomet
starstarstar
halleyscomet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

Date: 5/21/12 4:15 PM

I've been looking for some fabric to make a pair of turquoise summer pants. I thought about a twill but have not had any luck on finding a turquoise color. I'm not sure what type of fabric. I want to stay away from a linen though.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to halleyscomet <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/21/12 4:41 PM

Go to Emma One Sock and click on "pant and skirt fabric". There are a couple of turquoise fabrics calling for you...

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 5/21/12 5:03 PM

Halley, I know what you mean about not being able to find the colors. I've been looking for a cotton/blend purple for quite some time. Settled for cotton and they wrinkle like crazy. I like using linen/blends for my summer slacks and capris. Joanns has what they call the Ammaretto(spelling might be off) linen blends that I like. Just wish they had more color choices. I haven't made shorts for several years, I seem to wear the capri more. But the shorts I have are of a bottom weight, some in lightweight denim.

halleyscomet
starstarstar
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/21/12 6:29 PM

Jtink, I like Joann's amaretto linen too. I've made pants out of it. It seems to launder up well too but unfortunately no turquoise. I hate 100 percent cotton fabrics. They seem to come out of the dryer all wrinkly but boy you see a lot of fabrics that are 100 percent cotton.

halleyscomet
starstarstar
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 5/21/12 6:43 PM

Thanks LynnRowe! I just ordered a swatch of a pretty turquoise.

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
WV USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

Date: 5/21/12 8:37 PM

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=91c7d278-08ee-4481-bed5-ffd766586e37

*wandering innocently through the boards*

halleyscomet
starstarstar
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

In reply to Courtney Ostaff <<

Date: 5/22/12 7:30 AM

I think a challis would be too thin for a pair of slacks. It would make a great blouse though.

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
WV USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

Date: 5/22/12 10:21 AM

I'd probably line it, either with itself, or with some cotton gauze. Maybe just to the knee, as I tend to wear almost exclusively wide-legged pants. ;)
They have a lot of other turquoise, though. I tend to order most of my online fabric from them as they're cheap, and generous with their cuts, and super-reliable.

cocosloft
starstar
cocosloft  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/17/12
Send Message

Date: 5/22/12 9:06 PM

Joanns linen look solid comes in turq, is almost the same as the amaretto, difference is in percent of rayon. I love this fabric for pants!

------
Coco

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to cocosloft <<

Date: 5/23/12 9:04 AM

coco, you are right. I had completely forgotten about the linen blend. I actually bought some to make a pair of carpis for the demo wall at Joanns. I'm getting ready to cut them out today. The only problem I found with that material, it had a lot of bubble like wrinkles in it when it came out of the dryer. It ironed beautifully, so I'm hoping it was just a one time fluke and will wear nicely.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> What kind of fabric for summer slacks and shorts?

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 04-2010-117

photo
by: regine

Review
Butterick 5654 1930s

photo
by: The Dreams...

Review
SewBaby Wearable baby blanket Pattern

SewBaby Wearable baby blanket Pattern

Buy Now
9 inch Bent Handle Scissors

9 inch Bent Handle Scissors

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.