SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fabrics and more... > What kind of fabric for summer slacks and shorts? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What kind of fabric for summer slacks and shorts?
Where to purchase?
halleyscomet
starstarstar
halleyscomet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

Date: 5/21/12 4:15 PM

I've been looking for some fabric to make a pair of turquoise summer pants. I thought about a twill but have not had any luck on finding a turquoise color. I'm not sure what type of fabric. I want to stay away from a linen though.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to halleyscomet <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/21/12 4:41 PM

Go to Emma One Sock and click on "pant and skirt fabric". There are a couple of turquoise fabrics calling for you...

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 5/21/12 5:03 PM

Halley, I know what you mean about not being able to find the colors. I've been looking for a cotton/blend purple for quite some time. Settled for cotton and they wrinkle like crazy. I like using linen/blends for my summer slacks and capris. Joanns has what they call the Ammaretto(spelling might be off) linen blends that I like. Just wish they had more color choices. I haven't made shorts for several years, I seem to wear the capri more. But the shorts I have are of a bottom weight, some in lightweight denim.

halleyscomet
starstarstar
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/21/12 6:29 PM

Jtink, I like Joann's amaretto linen too. I've made pants out of it. It seems to launder up well too but unfortunately no turquoise. I hate 100 percent cotton fabrics. They seem to come out of the dryer all wrinkly but boy you see a lot of fabrics that are 100 percent cotton.

halleyscomet
starstarstar
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 5/21/12 6:43 PM

Thanks LynnRowe! I just ordered a swatch of a pretty turquoise.

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

Date: 5/21/12 8:37 PM

http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=91c7d278-08ee-4481-bed5-ffd766586e37

*wandering innocently through the boards*

halleyscomet
starstarstar
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

In reply to Courtney Ostaff <<

Date: 5/22/12 7:30 AM

I think a challis would be too thin for a pair of slacks. It would make a great blouse though.

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

Date: 5/22/12 10:21 AM

I'd probably line it, either with itself, or with some cotton gauze. Maybe just to the knee, as I tend to wear almost exclusively wide-legged pants. ;)
They have a lot of other turquoise, though. I tend to order most of my online fabric from them as they're cheap, and generous with their cuts, and super-reliable.

cocosloft
starstar
cocosloft  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/17/12
Send Message

Date: 5/22/12 9:06 PM

Joanns linen look solid comes in turq, is almost the same as the amaretto, difference is in percent of rayon. I love this fabric for pants!

------
Coco

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to cocosloft <<

Date: 5/23/12 9:04 AM

coco, you are right. I had completely forgotten about the linen blend. I actually bought some to make a pair of carpis for the demo wall at Joanns. I'm getting ready to cut them out today. The only problem I found with that material, it had a lot of bubble like wrinkles in it when it came out of the dryer. It ironed beautifully, so I'm hoping it was just a one time fluke and will wear nicely.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> What kind of fabric for summer slacks and shorts?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Simplicity 2603

photo
by: Byrdie

Review
SewBaby Zippy Bunting Pattern

SewBaby Zippy Bunting Pattern

Buy Now
Lolita Patterns Sugar Plum Pattern

Lolita Patterns Sugar Plum Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.