SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Have you made Simplicity 2683? Can you help me figure it out? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Have you made Simplicity 2683? Can you help me figure it out?
Stuck at the last few steps :(
Blaceyda
star
Blaceyda
Advanced Beginner
IRELAND
Member since 3/6/12
Send Message

Date: 5/22/12 5:31 PM

I'm almost done with Simplicity 2683, view C, but I just cannot figure out the instructions for attaching the band at the bottom of the skirt!

The pattern instructions are as follows:

40: with RIGHT sides together, stitch skirt band sections together at side seams (done, no problem). Machine stitch 1/4" from unnotched edge (done). Press under edge along stitching, clip curves if necessary.

41: pin RIGHT side of the skirt band to the WRONG side of skirt, matching centers and side seams, having raw edges even. Stitch seam. Trim seam; clip curves

42. turn band to OUTSIDE; press. On OUTSIDE, pin rick rack trim to skirt, centring rick rack just below upper edge of the skirt band, turning under and lapping one end at one side seam. Stitch along centre of the rick rack.

And that's it! As far as I an tell, I have step 40 done correctly. What I cant figure out is step 41. If I pin the right side of the band to the wrong side of the skirt, then I have a raw edge on the front of the skirt!

My questions:
Is there a mistake in the instructions? Or maybe I'm just not reading it correctly.
What do I do with the bottom edge of the band - hem it any way I like?

Can anyone shed any light on this pattern?

I found a pdf of the instructions here:

instructions for simplicity 2683

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 5/22/12 5:50 PM

The instructions look right. I think the confusing part is that the skirt band is attached on top of the skirt not attached to the bottom of the skirt. In step 40 you're finishing the top edge of the band. Step 41 you're sewing the bottom of the skirt to the bottom of the band and the sides. Then you turn the band out. So now it's laying on top of the skirt bottom. Both the right side of the band and skirt are to the outside now. Step 42 you're basically attaching with top of the band to the skirt.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

aunrea
star
aunrea  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Hampshire USA
Member since 10/16/09
Send Message

Date: 5/22/12 5:54 PM

You should have hemmed the band in step 40. Them you sew the notched (not hammed) edge to the bottom of the skirt with right sides together. The hem will be up over the skirt while doing this. When you pull the band down both the right ride of the skirt and band will be facing out.

Vireya
Vireya
Intermediate
Australia
Member since 12/10/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/22/12 6:39 PM

Firstly, thanks for posting the instructions. It really helps to be able to check the whole thing - the pattern pieces, the layout, and the instructions.

Having looked at it all, I agree that it sounds confusing, but it is actually right. To check that I had to label a couple of pieces of paper on both the "inside" and "outside", then put them together. Rotating them in my mind wasn't working!

The reason you don't end up with a visible seam on the outside is that the band gets rotated 360 degrees - at step 42 when you turn the band to the outside, you don't just fold it down so that it hangs down from the seam, you keep going so that it lies flat against the skirt, and the seam between the two (step 41) is at the lowest point of the skirt.

I hope this helps a little, but it is confusing. Try it with the actual pattern pieces, or even with pins in your actual garment, and you will see what is going to happen.

It's a very cure dress!

BeckyNoSleep
star
BeckyNoSleep
Intermediate
USA
Member since 4/19/10
Send Message

Date: 5/22/12 8:18 PM

Another way to think about it - you're putting the contrast band facing right side out on the inside of the dress, then stitching the seam. You will then flip the entire contrast band so it's on the outside of the dress, right side out, that seam completely enclosed in the double layer of fabric you have just created. Rather than two pieces of fabric joined edge to edge, the contrast will overlap your main fabric.

Blaceyda
star
Blaceyda
Advanced Beginner
IRELAND
Member since 3/6/12
Send Message

Date: 5/23/12 3:38 AM

Thanks everyone! I think the reason I was having such a hard time figuring it out was that I thought the band was something added to the bottom of the skirt, increasing the length of the skirt, rather than something added onto the bottom of the skirt but over the skirt fabric.

I might be in trouble because of my misunderstanding as I was counting on the extra length from the band so the dress would be long enough for my niece... I wonder if it would be possible to add the band the way I originally thought about it. Am I right in thinking that if I want extra length from the band, then I sew it to the skirt bottom, right sides facing, then flip it down, press towards the bottom and hem? Of course I might have to cut more fabric to get it to match up...

Vireya
Vireya
Intermediate
Australia
Member since 12/10/05
Send Message

Date: 5/23/12 7:07 AM

To make it like that, you will need to cut new pieces. The current ones won't work that way. In effect, the bottom hem of the current band piece would be the top of the new band piece that you want, then you would have to extend the side seams out from there to the depth that you want.

It would work fine as long as you have enough fabric to do it.

Blaceyda
star
Blaceyda
Advanced Beginner
IRELAND
Member since 3/6/12
Send Message

In reply to Vireya <<

Date: 5/23/12 9:37 AM

Quote: Vireya
To make it like that, you will need to cut new pieces. The current ones won't work that way. In effect, the bottom hem of the current band piece would be the top of the new band piece that you want, then you would have to extend the side seams out from there to the depth that you want.

It would work fine as long as you have enough fabric to do it.

I bought plenty of the contrast fabric, so I might do some measurements (thanks for the tip about the bottom hem/top hem) and make a new skirt band. Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go!

Thanks everyone
Blaceyda
star
Blaceyda
Advanced Beginner
IRELAND
Member since 3/6/12
Send Message

Date: 5/24/12 9:27 AM

Just to report back, I am SO proud of myself right now! I drafted a new pattern piece, cut a new skirt band, and it is PERFECT! I unpicked the ends of the side seams on the skirt, attached the band so that it now extends the length of the skirt, rather than sitting on top of it, and re-sewed my seams. Now I almost have too much length to work with

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 5/24/12 10:45 AM

Congratulations! You'll be changing your sewing skill level to advance in no time.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Have you made Simplicity 2683? Can you help me figure it out?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Simplicity 3515

photo
by: HOWsMom

Review
Simplicity 1823

photo
by: SewNikki

Review
SewBaby Five Easy Booties Pattern

SewBaby Five Easy Booties Pattern

Buy Now
Jamie Christina Honey Girl Dress and Top Pattern (JC304HG)

Jamie Christina Honey Girl Dress and Top Pattern (JC304HG)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.