SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Does anyone know where I can find pre-cut projects? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Does anyone know where I can find pre-cut projects?
for kids?
isakswings
star
isakswings
Advanced Beginner
Utah USA
Member since 8/22/08
Send Message

Date: 5/23/12 4:27 AM

My 14 year old daughter is interested in sewing. She has sewn a few things and has access to her own machine. I'd like to get a few pre-cut projects for her. I realize learning to lay out a pattern and cut it, is a vital part of the learning process, but I am finding it hard to explain this to her. One or both of us wind up getting very frustrated. My mother has offered to teach her to sew but since she lives in MT, that won't happen until my daughter spends a week with her this summer. I also plan to enlist in the help of my MIL. She is very good at working with teens! In the meantime, I want her to feel free to sew. I figure if she has pre-cut projects available to her, she will make them. Recently, she made some pot holders out of an old quilted pillow sham and old towel. This was her own idea and she asked me for help when she had a question. She also made a small pillow using scrap fabric and stuffing. Again, her idea and she asked questions when she felt she needed help. She does much better doing things on HER terms rather then me "hovering" over her. I want her to ENJOY this and to feel as if she can do this on her own.

I know she will eventually have to cut patterns out but I really want to encourage her without squashing her interest. Any ideas? She HAS laid a pattern out and cut it before, but I doubt she could pick up a pattern and do it all on her own. Help! :)
-- Edited on 5/23/12 4:28 AM --

------
I'm fairly new to sewing but I am finding it to be fun and rewarding!

wenznz
star
wenznz  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 7/8/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/23/12 6:20 AM

You could try Clothkits
here

As I understand it, they come with everything required to complete your garment and the pattern is printed on the fabric, so you just need to cut out the appropriate size.
There is a video explaining it on the 'About Us' page.

------
Wendy
Wellington, New Zealand

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to isakswings <<

Date: 5/23/12 8:17 AM

Just a thought, but have you checked your local Wal-mart? I know some of them have precut fabric. If I remember correctly, the last time I was in our "precut" Wal-mart(others are bringing back bolts), I saw ideas and "patterns" that were designed just for these pre-cuts. All of this is located in the Crafts/Fabric department.

Also, Check your Joann fabrics. They may have some kits.

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 5/23/12 12:25 PM

I think your daughter would really enjoy the non-pattern type of projects. I'm thinking the dress that's a tube with a couple piece of elastic or skirt that's a big circle type of projects. I think there's quite a few of these on the sewing blog-o-sphere.

Another ideas is for you or your mom to cut pieces for her. My mom use to draft and cut my pieces. I would serge the pieces and sew what I could. She would do the pieces I couldn't do at the time (sleeves, collar etc).

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

MissCelie
starstarstarstar
MissCelie  Friend of PR
Maryland USA
Member since 8/24/02
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 5/23/12 1:27 PM

Maybe a home school supply site? When I took home ec, all of my projects were pre-marked on the fabric. I did have to cut, but no pinning, etc. required. Stuffed animals and pajama pants I think.

------
Cidell
www.missceliespants.com

kath210
kath210
Member since 5/11/09
Send Message

Date: 5/23/12 1:40 PM

Have you considered an easy quilt top? Many come pre-cut or you can use pre-cut squares from fabric stores and sew them together. She can enjoy picking the colors and arranging them.

Forget what they call the pre-cut squares, though...cake something? The store should know.

HDWen
star
HDWen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Arizona USA
Member since 12/26/11
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 5/23/12 3:29 PM

I think your daughter would LOVE doing projects on her own you can find on the internet -- Pillow tutorials, Threadbanger Hat (kinda steam punk and popular). These don't take alot of thought in cutting, no real patterns other than on paper you lay on fabric to make, and most are so easy to do.

I found alot at Sew4Home, and you tube has a great selection of How to make.... whatever.

Otherwise I've seen some as mentioned above at Joanns.

------
I have a great enthusium for sewing, but lack talent to be great.

NancyZL
NancyZL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

Date: 5/23/12 7:16 PM

There is a Mod Kid yoga type skirt tutorial which is basically 2 pieces of fabric that I made from a knit for myself . It only requires a few measurements . I just tried to locate it but no luck ... will try again .
Good to hear that you are encouraging her but I also remember my own daughter at that age ... you are wise not to "hover" !!

Twizard
Twizard
Advanced
Member since 2/11/12
Send Message

Date: 5/24/12 0:04 AM

How about panel skirts, where two panels make the skirt? And Joanne's in our area has teen sewing classes. And there are some top and skirt patterns that have two pieces placed on fold.

------
Pfaff 1471, janome 8050, bernina 830, Pfaff Passport 2.0; sergers singer quantum lock 5, baby lock protege, pfaff 794

isakswings
star
isakswings
Advanced Beginner
Utah USA
Member since 8/22/08
Send Message

In reply to Twizard <<

Date: 5/24/12 1:07 AM

Thanks! There is also a local woman who teaches sewing to young girls in my neighborhood(or close!). In fact, our Pfaff dealer knows her!Anyway... 3 years ago(at 11), my daughter was very interested in the class but the class was full.I mentioned it to my daughter again and she has no interest in a class any more. I think she would get a lot out of it, but I won't push her. I thought about the JoAnn classes since they are short, but I think she would scoff at the idea! My son would beam!

She's mentioned skirts, so we may have to give that a shot. I think once she is comfortable with sewing smaller projects, she would LOVE to make clothing!

------
I'm fairly new to sewing but I am finding it to be fun and rewarding!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Does anyone know where I can find pre-cut projects?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2013-126

photo
by: Kbenco

Review
Towne Purse

Towne Purse

Buy Now
Bluegingerdoll Stella Blouse

Bluegingerdoll Stella Blouse

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.