Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Miscellaneous > Carb cycling for weight loss ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Carb cycling for weight loss
Anyone had success with this?
Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
ON CANADA
Member since 7/16/07
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 5/25/12 9:44 AM

Yesterday I learned about carb cycling, where you eat low carb two days a week and then eat normally (healthy/balanced/higher carb) the rest of the week. Many people seem to find it works -- and unlike straight low-carb diets, it does sound like something you could do without messing up your body's nutritional balance.

Any success stories to report with this?

-- Edited on 5/25/12 10:09 AM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Photo: A long time ago

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
ON CANADA
Member since 7/16/07

Date: 5/25/12 1:37 PM

I think it might also be called carb shifting, if that helps.

------

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07

In reply to Vintage Joan <<

Date: 5/25/12 3:30 PM

I haven't heard of it, but it sounds like it might work. I am doing lower-ish carbs, with no counting involved and I am pleased with the results. Avoiding sugar except in my coffee, not basing meals around a starch (helps that DH is wheat free) except my morning oatmeal. If I am hungry I eat protein, veggies and some fat, if I am just wanting to eat I eat veggies. Sunday is a big restaurant lunch (with fries!). Every night we have a square of good chocolate with our glass of wine. Never hungry, never feel deprived. If something that looks irresistible jumps in front of me I have a taste. If it is amazing, I may have 2 or even 3. I have discovered that, after the third bite, I don't really taste much anyway.

When people ask, I just say I am eating more veggies, and they are asking, because I have lost 2" at least around hips, waist and bust. Thankfully no loss of height!

I am looking forward to reading more on this post.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Sherril Miller
starstarstarstar
Sherril Miller  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 8/24/02

Going to PR Weekend Austin!

Date: 5/25/12 3:34 PM

I've been doing low carb (20-30) for 4 months and have lost 25 pounds. I have another 50 to go so I'm not going to be eating carbs more than I am any time soon.

------
Visit my blog at http://sewingsaga.blogspot.com

If it's worth sewing, it's worth sewing well;
and if it's worth sewing well, it's worth FITTING FIRST! - TSL

BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
WV USA
Member since 10/29/03
online now

Date: 5/25/12 3:47 PM

I read that article recently in Prevention Mag. & thought it was interesting too.
here's the article

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

http://bjsewmuchmore.blogspot.com

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
ON CANADA
Member since 7/16/07

In reply to BJ1400 <<

Date: 5/25/12 4:18 PM

Thanks for posting that article! The one I read yesterday was in Woman's World magazine, so a bit more newstand-y, if you see what I mean (a different diet miracle every month, lol). But the article you've posted seems to confirm my instinct that this isn't just hype. Here's an encouraging excerpt from your article:

Quote:
Good news for dieters who feel that counting calories has become a full-time job. According to new research, you might do better to cut carbs just two days a week instead of going low cal every day.

In a recent study, presented at the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, British researchers found that women who eliminated carbohydrate-rich foods like bread, pasta, potatoes and rice two days a week and ate their normal diet the rest of the time lost an average of 9 lb. over four months. Meanwhile, women in a similar group who ate a 1,500-cal.-per-day Mediterranean-style diet for the same time period lost only 5 lb.

Women on the intermittent diet not only lost more weight but also showed greater improvements on other markers of health, including levels of insulin and leptin.

From what I read this morning to try to find out more, apparently what helps most is the switching from low carb to normal carb -- somehow it tricks your brain into NOT turning your metabolism down, which is what happens when you go on a "diet."

(I crash dieted at 13 and spent the rest of my teenage/young adult years maintaining the weight loss by eating 1000-1200 calories a day... I'm sure this didn't do my metabolism any good.)

------

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
ON CANADA
Member since 7/16/07

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 5/25/12 4:25 PM

Quote:
When people ask, I just say I am eating more veggies

Yes, I had forgotten that most veggies are fine on a low-carb diet and most fruits are really not. I couldn't stay on a normal low-carb diet anymore -- I love fruit too much! Skipping the obvious starchy foods isn't as hard for me, but breakfast is a tricky one. About 80% of my standard breakfast foods are carb-based (cereal, toast, English muffins...). But woo hoo, maybe I'll have CHEESE instead.

I've just started this today and will be trying to stick with Thurs.-Fri. as low-carb days. I'll let you know how it goes.

-- Edited on 5/25/12 4:29 PM --

------

MarthaA24
MarthaA24  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 4/4/08

In reply to Vintage Joan <<

Date: 5/25/12 5:46 PM

Joan,
I don't know if you have ever checked out a low glycemic diet. In many ways it is like a low carb diet, but different again. It is based on eating food that doesn't trigger a lot of insulin.

With this diet many fruits are allowed, like berries, applies, pears, cherries, tangerines & others. It is more the tropical fruits like pineapple & the such that are higher glycemic.

Also lentils & beans tend to be fine, but not generally the starchy foods like potatoes, corn & rice. With grains, it depends on the grain & how it is treated.

For breads and that type of food, if you can find sprouted grain bread like Ezekiel bread, that is low glycemic. Multi-grain bread, that is whole grain, is lower glycemic than all whole wheat bread, as is sour dough bread. While I working on losing weight I'm only eating the Ezekiel bread products.

I started this diet mid Jan & have lost 20 pounds, but need to lose a fair amount more. I like this diet better than low carb that I had done some years ago.

A book I really like that explains the low glycemic diet in a nutshell is Michel Montignac's Glycemic Index Diet. It has a good glycemic index in the back.

------
Martha

blue mooney
starstarstar
blue mooney
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 12/21/02

In reply to BJ1400 <<

Date: 5/25/12 6:47 PM

Thanks for posting that link! This seems like a way to have it all. Is it too good to be true?

------
--Robyn
sewing blog: http://bluemooney.wordpress.com/
illustration blog: http://storybooky.wordpress.com/

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
ON CANADA
Member since 7/16/07

In reply to MarthaA24 <<

Date: 5/25/12 7:48 PM

My son was on a low glycemic diet, I think -- not that he needed to lose weight, but he was trying to get fitter and slimmer and have more energy.

I'm not interested in the traditional low-carb diet -- if today is any example, it would drive me crazy. I love variety. Also, a true low-carb diet just doesn't seem to respect the way we're made -- complex carbohydrates are our main fuel.

I'm going to try this tactic for a while and see what happens. I just started today, after all. You're apparently supposed to do it for two consecutive days, so I'll continue tomorrow and then switch to Thurs.-Fri. next week. I don't want to normally be doing this on weekends, in case people come over or something.

-- Edited on 5/25/12 7:50 PM --

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Carb cycling for weight loss

Merchants on PR
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Online Sewing Classes
Break your Serger Out of the Box
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Vogue Patterns 8020
photo
Review by CissieW on 11/3/12
Read Review

Burda 7170 Pattern
Burda 7170 Pattern

Details
Price: $11.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 6538 Pattern ( Size NBN-SML-MED-LRG-XLG )
McCalls 6538 Pattern ( Size NBN-SML-MED-LRG-XLG )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Ottobre Design Magazine 04-2008-14 Pants
photo
Review by Sandi S on 7/13/08
Read Review

Angela Osborn Esther Blouse Digital Pattern (SS10-11-102)
Angela Osborn Esther Blouse Digital Pattern (SS10-11-102)

Details
Price: $9.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Jamie Christina Bibury Capelet Digital Pattern (JC302BC)
Jamie Christina Bibury Capelet Digital Pattern (JC302BC)

Details
Price: $7.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

You Sew Girl Mod Bag Pattern
You Sew Girl Mod Bag Pattern

Details
Price: $22.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

SewBaby Sleeve Saver Smock Pattern
SewBaby Sleeve Saver Smock Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN