SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > Dress form questions ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Dress form questions
Old dress form needs adjustment
Gigil

Gigil  Friend of PR
Advanced
FL USA
Member since 9/15/08
Send Message

Date: 5/29/12 11:05 AM

Just bought a dress form at a garage sale, it was really cheap $4, and an older model which has the adjusting screws on the inside. I've looked on the form itself, and don't see any manufacturer. I know it is old and cheap; but I would like to work with it to see if I can get it to approximate my body. Any help on how to adjust this? I do have the time to "play" with it, and it won't have to be exact, I just want it to be easier to sew and fit.

Geri

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
AL USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to Gigil <<

Date: 5/29/12 1:15 PM

Congratulations on finding such a great bargain. The secret to getting a dress form to approximate your figure is to make sure that all the form's measurements, vertical and horizontal, are smaller than yours, so set the form's measurements to be smaller than yours or even as small as possible. If the form's measurements are larger or if for example the bust is too high, you will not get a good approximation.

Take one of your good but worn bras and put it on the form. Then stand in front of a mirror with a measuring tape and some padding and batting and use your eyes and the tape measure to add fluff wherever it's needed. Then dress the form in a stretch body suit and remeasure. And then dress it in a garment that fits you perfectly and see whether it fit s the form.

You will want to revisit your dress form over a couple of days or so to modify it as necessary.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

In reply to Gigil <<

Date: 5/29/12 1:39 PM

Peggy Sagers did a webcast on doing just this. Dress form webcast see upper left hand corner. As nancy2001 states, you do need to adjust the form smaller than you.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Gigil <<

Date: 5/29/12 3:26 PM

Is it grey (or tan) fabric and does it have lots of pieces that should move? If so, it's an Acme form, from the 1940's I believe. I've had a few of those and padded them up by making a fitting shell without ease and slipping it over the form, then adding padding where needed. Lots of fun!

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

BMoyer
star
BMoyer  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
OH USA
Member since 10/10/03
Send Message

In reply to Gigil <<

Date: 5/30/12 7:26 AM

HI Gigl,
I just did this myself with an old wolf form I had from years ago. I made a muslin to fit myself and then put in on her to see where she needs padding, then used quilt batting (per peggy sagers webcast) to fill her out till she looked like me.
Check all her base measurements. I had to pull in the collapsible shoulders on mine to make sure she was smaller than me at the back, funny that was the only place she was to big. But as long as yours is smaller you can make her fit.Betty

KD in ATL

KD in ATL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 4/21/08
Send Message

Date: 5/30/12 10:35 AM

Kenneth King has an interesting article in this month's Threads that describes how to create a body double that you can put on a form that is smaller than you are. Worth reading...

CBLSEWS
CBLSEWS  Friend of PR
Beginner
LA USA
Member since 11/24/10
Send Message

In reply to KD in ATL <<

Date: 5/31/12 9:44 AM

I am looking for the article and I can not find it. Is it in Threads Magazine? That is what I am looking in, but it is not coming up.

Gigil

Gigil  Friend of PR
Advanced
FL USA
Member since 9/15/08
Send Message

In reply to CBLSEWS <<

Date: 5/31/12 11:51 AM

It's in the Threads June/July 2012. On newsstands now.

Article is by Kenneth King

Gigil

Gigil  Friend of PR
Advanced
FL USA
Member since 9/15/08
Send Message

In reply to nancy2001 <<

Date: 5/31/12 12:04 PM

Thanks, right now, she's DEFINITELY smaller than me. It will be a work in progress; but I appreciate your advice. I started to loosen the inside screws; but some of them are tight. Looking forward to playing with it.

Gigil

Gigil  Friend of PR
Advanced
FL USA
Member since 9/15/08
Send Message

In reply to NhiHuynh <<

Date: 5/31/12 12:22 PM

Thanks so much, will check out the webcast.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Dress form questions

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Simplicity 1717

photo
by: Kathhhhhy

Review
Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern

Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Twirl Top and Pants Pattern

SewBaby Twirl Top and Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.