SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Web site Talk > Blog traffic sources? ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Blog traffic sources?
alarmed and bemused
LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

Date: 5/30/12 5:40 AM

Anyone else when the look at their blog stats get a little alarmed by some of the traffic sources? I wonder if its all bots sometimes. I've notice some of them in the past have been dating sites and once something about dentistry.

------
'The purpose of most fashion is to be ostentatiously non-functional.'

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to LDT2011 <<

Date: 5/30/12 7:41 AM

I've noticed that too and have not posted a link to mine, especially here.

After a photo of me was stolen from a website and used on a dating site without my permission (because the user wasn't me), I'm very leery of anything anymore.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
Florida USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 6/10/12 12:45 PM

I've noticed this alot on Facebook that they seem to pull photo's of garments made from this site. I also noticed a bloggers photo used to sell a Vogue Pattern on Ebay. I really want to blog and share my stuff, but I don't want it where I don't want it. Someone recently warned a blogger to "watermark" her photos. Does that stop the theft??
-- Edited on 6/10/12 4:26 PM --

------
strikesmyfancy-2013.blogspot.com

What's Meant for You Won't Pass You By.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 6/10/12 2:59 PM

Watermarking doesn't. I have a program that I can add or take the layer off, even if there isn't really a layer.

Not that I do it, of course, but I know how to do it.

ETA: It will help some just because it takes a bit of time to take them off, but even then it is not fool proof.
-- Edited on 6/10/12 3:00 PM --

rmusic1
star
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

Date: 6/10/12 3:12 PM

I've just started a blog with wordpress. It appears so far to have been quite good at spotting potential spam and screening it for me to delete. Maybe some sites are better than others? I dont know enough about the different ones.

I have enjoyed seeing how world wide the sewing community is in terms of countries visitors originate from. I had just though PR was mainly America, Australia and England. I have had to re evaluate my assumptions!

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
online now
Send Message

In reply to rmusic1 <<

Date: 6/11/12 9:51 AM

rmusic - I agree. I have been surprised at some of the things wordpress has blocked as they sounded generically fine.

I also enjoy the stats about which country viewers are from. Even on a tiny blog with few viewers like mine, it is fun to see people from Denmark and Australia have visited. I tend to think they are PR folk, but of course I don't really know.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/8/05
Send Message

Date: 6/11/12 10:37 AM

I blog on Blogger and do check where the traffic comes from..lately there have been some weird trafic sources...when i click on them.. a naked lady appears..not exactly what I think of as being connected to my content. But i do see traffic coming from fellow bloggers from here and from other sewing friends...Much of the traffric does make sense.. what I really dislike are comments that have been written just to drive traffic to a commercial site. I tend to just delete those comments rather than posting them.

it has been nice seeing where my blog has been read

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

petro
starstarstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
France
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

Date: 6/11/12 2:30 PM

Where do you check where the traffic is from (on wordpress)? I saw a column with a tab marked 'referrer' and sometimes something a little weird seems to appear there.

LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

Date: 6/12/12 8:57 AM

I use blogger. I've found since I changed the visible on google search off I've stopped getting such odd refferals. Now its mainly PR, coletterie and sew retro.

Oh and someone pinned a pic from a post on pinterest...which has got me about 200 hits?!?!
-- Edited on 6/12/12 8:58 AM --

------
'The purpose of most fashion is to be ostentatiously non-functional.'

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to sewingsilly <<

Date: 6/12/12 9:00 AM

I know I can watermark my photos on eBay, which I believe prevents them from being taken and used elsewhere. To check to see if watermarking works, right click on the photo and see what comes up. If a menu that lists things like View Image, Copy Image, Copy Link Location, Save Image, etc. comes up, it's not watermarked.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Web site Talk >> Blog traffic sources?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Technique of Underlining Garments
The Technique of Underlining Garments

Register

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Tahoe Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Tahoe Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Vogue Patterns 1324

photo
by: Kay Y

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.